Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Re: Looking for racing seat ideas?

Apr 25, 2013

I think one of the issues you may run across is weight. Double duty as a coffee table is cool, but that implies moving it around. Some of you are suggesting picking up (hah!) a car seat from a scrap shop, but have you tried lifting those things?!

The concept video is probably the price it is because they are using a proper ultra lightweight seat and other lightweight materials.

But it's a hell of a form factor.

Just remember, whatever you build, put some really nice durable rubber bumpers on the bottom. Or listen to your better half chew you out for scratching up the floor or tearing up the carpet!

And @Wyld... know where you are coming from (I'm 57) but if you want true immersion, you ever sat in a Ferrari or any exotic? They are all pretty low to the ground! The realism might be better if you have to struggle in and out of it..!

Something else I noticed about your cockpit... seems the screen is pretty low for where your head will be. One thing that radically affects your perception of whether you are going uphill and down (and being able to adjust BP's accordingly) is to have the center of the screen at EXACTLY eye height. That way, the horizon stays level and rises and dips are easily seen. Try it, I think you'll be surprised.

Message 21 of 25 (661 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1621 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 25, 2013

Destinkeys wrote:

And @Wyld... know where you are coming from (I'm 57) but if you want true immersion, you ever sat in a Ferrari or any exotic? They are all pretty low to the ground! The realism might be better if you have to struggle in and out of it..!

Something else I noticed about your cockpit... seems the screen is pretty low for where your head will be. One thing that radically affects your perception of whether you are going uphill and down (and being able to adjust BP's accordingly) is to have the center of the screen at EXACTLY eye height. That way, the horizon stays level and rises and dips are easily seen. Try it, I think you'll be surprised.

That was what I startd with...
I've since built a seperate stand for the Monitor(s)..  

updated to a G27 wheel
Added an adjustable Table for the Wheel.

a Side mount for the Stick Shift
A Tactile Transducer under the Seat Platform for the LFE, so you can Feel the bumps and engine rumble.
A Sound Bar and Sub Woofer

Monitor Stand fr (3) 32" LCD Screens, side screens wil be at a 60 degree angle.

2012-09-23 16.03.07.jpg

First Rig using Sceen stand and Wheel Table.

2012-09-21 00.26.56.jpg

All three screens connected. Needed the Posts to keep the Screens from Sagging.

3-screens-001.jpg

200 / 400 watt LFT Tactile Transducer it weighs about 12 lbs. and is 14" diameter

20130305_211839.jpg

Screens raised up a bit, to Fit the Sund Bar and small table under them.

20130219_172041.jpg

Not the Prettiest of rigs.  But wih the 32" Screens,  it Measurs 7' wide, and it is very Immersive in the drivers seat.

When I stop driving it, I'll add the finishing touches.  Some Paint,  Make a Pattern and cut out a body shape to attache to the sides.

Message 22 of 25 (654 Views)
VP of Gaming
29409 posts

Apr 25, 2013

NASCAR-PC wrote:

WyldAnimal wrote:

I'm and old fart. (51 going on 21)

So for me all the Game seats have one major problem.. The are too darn Low to the ground..

If I sat that low, I'd never get up out of that seat..

So when I put together my rig, I made a 2' x 2' platform 15" high, so when I mounted the seat on top,  it was at 24" to the seat height.

Makes it easy for me to sit in it, and later, get up out of it.

On the same token, I had to have a platform for the Pedals.

So my Seat to Pedal relationship is about the same, just raised up off the floor.

Something for you to consider if you're an old fart like me.

This is what I started with. A seat from a U-Pull-It salvage yard $25  about $50 of lumber and hardware.  A folding table.  I already had the wheel..

2012-09-12 17.36.04.jpg

thank you that is a great idea

I'm just envious of all that space he has.

Message 23 of 25 (641 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1665 posts

Apr 25, 2013

No kidding, It looks to be about 15- 20k sq ft with a 5-600 sq ft mezzanine. Now I could build you that for 750k, property not included.Smiley LOL

Photobucket
Message 24 of 25 (637 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Apr 28, 2013

Outstanding final rig! I have always said that in cockpit view is silly without a triple monitor/PS3 setup. I am jealous not only of the space you have to do this, but also the budget for 3 monitors and PS3's..! Are those 3D monitors? That has got to be something spectacular.

Or can triple monitors do 3D? One would imagine sync between the multiple monitors with only one set of glasses might be an issue. Anyone know?

Message 25 of 25 (605 Views)
0 Likes