Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 27 2013
By: buddyfreakind Sackboy 538 posts

Schumacher to drive F1 around Nordschleife!!!

87 replies 534 views Edited Apr 27, 2013

Schumacher to drive F1 around Nordschleife on May 19th 2013!!!  Should be interesting, here's the link...

Schumacher to drive F1 around the Ring!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 88 (534 Views)
GT Silver
2188 posts

Re: Schumacher to drive F1 around Nordschleife!!!

Apr 27, 2013

I read about that, too. One of the greatest F1 drivers of all time will set a lap at one of the greatest race tracks of all time in one of the fastest types of cars of all time.

Do you think he'll beat the current record: 6:11 set by Stefan Bellof in a Porsche 956?

Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 88 (499 Views)
Fender Bender
2761 posts

Apr 27, 2013

Gojet-64 wrote:

I read about that, too. One of the greatest F1 drivers of all time will set a lap at one of the greatest race tracks of all time in one of the fastest types of cars of all time.

Do you think he'll beat the current record: 6:11 set by Stefan Bellof in a Porsche 956?

Exactly what I was wondering, would love to see him set a new lap record.

If he did, it may never get beaten.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 88 (487 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
73 posts

Apr 27, 2013

I am going to love being able to watch this. I just hope he is given the chance to run flat out over several laps, and not just one and done exhibition lap.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 88 (474 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1044 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 27, 2013

The record will definitely be broken if the run doesn't involve posing for the cameras. BMW did a Nurburgring run a few years ago, but it wasn't a serious attempt. There are claims that Nick Heidfeld would've done a sub 6-minute lap if he hadn't followed around a camera car for upwards of 50 seconds on parts of his quickest runs. BMW stated that a lap time around 5:15 was possible if their car was driven flat out.

Here's a link that compares one of Heidfeld's laps to a lap by Derek Bell in the Porsche 956. The final lap time is about the same, but the biggest difference is the Porsche is running at a race pace while the F1 car is running at a pace you'd see on an installation or cool down lap. Even though the F1 car is on hard demo tires and running at a relaxed pace, it is still massively quicker through the mid-speed corners.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 88 (463 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
905 posts

Apr 27, 2013
I would love to see a flat out lap on the Nurb in an F1 car. But it just might be a PR thing sadly. But I hope I am wrong.
" The problem is, when you push it to the limit it's irresistible. And as soon as you've done it you want to do it again."

Who said it?
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 88 (457 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
538 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 27, 2013

good question Gojet, I hope they let him go for it.  Would be amazing to see him attack that course full out.  He probably knows the course well enough to do it and the car should be able to get around it fairly fast.   We'll know on the 19th I guess.  I sure hope he gets to go flat out, would be amazing.  Here's Heidfelds lap...

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 88 (442 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
837 posts

Apr 27, 2013

It would be nice to see a video of an F1 car at speed there.

I have however, the same opinion as Niki Lauda and don't believe that F1 cars are safe on the Ring. I would hate to see a massive crash with the resultant injury or death.

BANG

photo BANGNOLUFSENSigPic4_zpsa53ba0de.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 88 (435 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Apr 28, 2013

I'm with Bang on this one. There's a reason F1 don't run there any more. Even by the 60's, it was too dangerous. F1 is all about airflow on the downforce, and Nords is so bumpy in places, that flow may become seriously detached. This has got to be a cosmetic exercise, for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, for his own safety, it is unlikely Schumi will push hard (nobody chasing him down!), but also, let's face it... Since his return to F1, Schumi was never the driver he was, despite the odd glimpse of brilliance. If anyone wanted to know how fast a current F1 car can lap Nords, stick Vettel or Hamilton in the cockpit! Schumi won't be able to show us what CAN be done. Just what HE can do!

Not that that won't be interesting for its own sake, but it will hardly be a defining time...

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 88 (394 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
538 posts

Apr 28, 2013

I don't know about that guys, a lot has changed since the 60's.  He'll be driving a current F1 car not an old one.  Massive safety improvements have been made and there's no other cars obstructing his line.  I also think it's funny you'ld say Schumacher is slow, he turned qualifying times in a slower car within 1 second of Vettel, pretty sure he'll do just fine.  If anybody is going to say screw it and just mash the gas around there to go for the record it'ld be him.

Here's a massive list of safety improvements.... F1 safety

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 88 (390 Views)
0 Likes