Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
2951 posts

Re: Update 2.10: PP recalculation

Feb 19, 2013
Hopefully PD will now go back and do the fix to the PP system they tried with 2.10...

I think what they are doing is trying to calculate based on factors which would affect overall performance. (Yes, I have my "Captain Obvious" hat on right now...)
I just think they either are not taking something into account as they should be. Either something is not in the calculation that should be or is given the wrong "weight" in the scaling of the factors. If it's the latter, it should be a matter of just adjusting the weights to the elements. Easy to do, hard to decide exactly what to change and how much. If on the other hand it's adding a new factor they left out before, well, actually it's about the same isn't it?

I am still hoping they keep trying. Just maybe playtest it a bit more next time before releasing it?
Message 121 of 128 (235 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 19, 2013

After all this discussion, does anyone honestly think that the PP system will EVER result in rabbit-free racing? The choices are just too wide, the range of upgrades and downgrades too wide, I simply think it is an utterly impossible task. This whole 'experiment' by PD has really brought to light the ridiculous nature of attempting to handicap EVERY single car in the game, with every single upgrade they make, and raise expectations that close even racing can be achieved at all.

Hopefully, PD can see how this went and re-think their approach to the whole idea. In real life terms, it is something that just never happens, perhaps with GT5, being the 'Real Driving (Racing!) Simulator', it may be time to admit that PP racing is simply NOT a real life scenario.

Give us the 'Stock' option, that will take off ALL upgrades, or give us a massive Recommended Car' list, or give us PP and HP/weight/torque restrictions... Give us tighter control over which upgrades can and cannot be used... Give hosts full inspection of upgrades...

Give us something that WORKS..!

Message 122 of 128 (217 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
965 posts

Feb 19, 2013
Destin ,

Now I can really agree with your last paragraph . Very good points and ideas that can realistically be implemented.
Giving host full inspection of what is on cars before a race to make sure everyone is abiding by the hosts regulations is an awesome idea.

Zoom , Zoom !
" A defeat is good for the character if you take it the right way."

Who said it?
Message 123 of 128 (210 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2951 posts

Feb 19, 2013
Agreed. That is the best approach.

I mean even 4za does PPs too, and they DO calculate every little change. New spark plugs? New PP...
Haven't played enough to know for sure, but I am sure it works no better than GT5...

I'm just saying PPs work very well, considering.

Just give us the tools (very easy to program tools) to finish the jobs ourselves... I'll agree with that last paragraph too. After all, I havce been calling for most of it for a while now. Never use the "recomended Car list" myself, otherwise that is exactly what we need.

Here's the pseudo code to do what we need:

If Regulation.PP < Car.PP [FAIL] else
If Regulation.HP < Car.HP [FAIL] else
If Regulation.Kg > Car.Kg [FAIL] else
[CAR IS LEGAL]

Should be about 12 words (or less) of memory. Shurely you have that...

Inspection would be significantly more, but should be doable, just use the Tuning Sheet display code...
Message 124 of 128 (204 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
42251 posts

Feb 19, 2013

Inspections are too much work for a full room, though.

Once a host sets the conditions to be met, however, then it falls back on the drivers to comply. That way GT just becomes the gatekeeper. The trouble is that hosts don't have this kind of control yet and GT has permanent changes making some otherwise legal cars ineligible.

Requests have been made to rectify these issues.

Message 125 of 128 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1647 posts

Feb 20, 2013

Sounds like some of us have a few trust issues:smileylol:  JK.  I'd race any way someone willing to take the time to set up a race wants me to.

Photobucket
Message 126 of 128 (186 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
42251 posts

Feb 20, 2013

Trust only goes so far when you are in the wild.

Message 127 of 128 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 20, 2013

You only have to look at disqualification after disqualification in the REAL racing world, and protest after protest even up to F1 teams to see that, in racing, whatever you can get away with is what is used. Only rigorous inspection stops real racing from being the equivalent of GT5 as it is now!

I still get gobsmacked every now and again, trying to think how Kaz can race in the real world (at a fairly high level) and yet bring so little of that back to the game. There's no way that such an insane car and upgrade selection is brought to the Nürbergring24 and some magical handicapping system is allowed (with no inspection for compliance!) to let you get on track. Kaz knows how rigorous regulations and inspections are, yet the game has none.

And don't get me started about racing rules, flags, penalties and all the other stuff Kaz knows about only too well, but make virtually no appearance in his game..! I simply wish that Kaz... AS OPTIONS, brought the rigor and tightness of full professional racing to his game. Graphically, and physics related, he's pretty close. But racing without rules, without car regulations, inspections, it turns what could be a brilliant game back down to earth. Somehow, I wish he could find a way to let the noobs be noobs, but let the pros be pros, too!

Kaz, in real life thinks he's a pro... how about giving us the same experience?

Message 128 of 128 (170 Views)
0 Likes