Keyblade Wielder
8584 posts

Re: tech of wheel rim blur at speed

Feb 6, 2013

thanks for the comments guys...

..and yes the discs definitely glow without photoshopping.

here is the photo mode thread if you want to dig through some posted by members here.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna (FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only)
GT Saturdays Event Thread
Ex's Racing VideosSupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 11 of 33 (266 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3035 posts

Feb 6, 2013
But I do agree that rotor glow is MUCH diminished in GT5 from GT4. I did miss it when I first got the game.

It is still there though...
Message 12 of 33 (255 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1026 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Destinkeys wrote:

I've just looked at several hundred GT5 photos (typed GT5 photos and GT5 photos night in Google). I haven't found ONE yet with any brake disk glow... even those at night. Perhaps you could link to some?

Perhaps you are thinking of some that have been Photoshopped?

Again you are so wrong Destin. Why don't you friend me temporarily and take a look at my profile pic which is the Mercedes SLS discs glowing . However, I do believe it is only the premium cars that give off that detail for photo mode.

" A defeat is good for the character if you take it the right way."

Who said it?
Message 13 of 33 (253 Views)
I Only Post Everything
786 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Here's a few pic's from Nurb.

Nürburgring Nordschleife.jpgNürburgring Nordschleife_2.jpgNürburgring Nordschleife_7.jpg

Sig by: exXboxFan.
Message 14 of 33 (237 Views)
Sackboy
538 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Nice pics guys!   Brake rotor glow looks so good in this game.

Circuit de la Sarthe 2009.jpgCircuit de la Sarthe 2009_2.jpg

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 15 of 33 (221 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 7, 2013

Well, my mistake...!

However, that appears to be a tiny fraction of cars in game. Plus, it seems that most of them need to be very underexposed to get the glow even noticeable. I certainly can't say I've ever noticed it in a race room. Is it a Photo Mode thing?

But trust me, guys, I went through THOUSANDS of pictures up on Google, and didn't see one. I definitely think the contrast and blacks look a lot better in photo mode than in race rooms. Most of the time, I can barely see a car's headlights in my mirrors, or the road ahead much, let alone brake rotor glow!

If you'd like to see brake glow done RIGHT (and night racing in general), perhaps take a look at some Shift2 or PCARS shots. Brake glow in full daylight, let alone night time or dusk! Let's hope the PS4 has enough horsepower to start to improve details like this for GT6.

Message 16 of 33 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8584 posts

Feb 7, 2013

if you are expecting to see brake glow in-race while at speed then you will be sorely disappointed.  the effect only appears for a moment and these shots people are posting are being done by pausing at the appropriate moment.

brake rotor glow in real life usually isn't as severe as what you're probably desiring to see...

GT4's was exagerated  for sure.  GT5's may be too far on the low side... don't know.

Message 17 of 33 (190 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
42460 posts

Feb 7, 2013

The features in the mirrors are always limited compared to the forward view. Dust, objects, markings all get cut back. Just the necessities are kept. It has been that way since the beginning of GT.

It should be a Photo Mode thing. If you are looking for rotor glow while driving, then I don't want to be driving beside you. I take this as just another opportunity from you to denigrate PD and GT.

Message 18 of 33 (189 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1034 posts

Feb 7, 2013

Destinkeys wrote:

Well, my mistake...!

However, that appears to be a tiny fraction of cars in game. Plus, it seems that most of them need to be very underexposed to get the glow even noticeable. I certainly can't say I've ever noticed it in a race room. Is it a Photo Mode thing?

But trust me, guys, I went through THOUSANDS of pictures up on Google, and didn't see one. I definitely think the contrast and blacks look a lot better in photo mode than in race rooms. Most of the time, I can barely see a car's headlights in my mirrors, or the road ahead much, let alone brake rotor glow!

If you'd like to see brake glow done RIGHT (and night racing in general), perhaps take a look at some Shift2 or PCARS shots. Brake glow in full daylight, let alone night time or dusk! Let's hope the PS4 has enough horsepower to start to improve details like this for GT6.

Roughly 20% of the cars in GT5 are likely candidates to exhibit "brake glow", haven't specifically tried to create it with standard cars since their wheel upgrade so I'd guess it's just ALL premium cars.

Can't say as I've actually noticed during a race but then again I'm not concentrating on the brake discs when racing so it may well be there.  It's definitely visible in the replays though as is obvious from the photos, speaking of the photos there's even a thread over at GT Planet (click here) dedicated to the glow.  10 or so pages of photos, some are missing now and some are obviously doctored up with photoshop but there are plenty of "straight from game" ones there including brakes glowing in the daylight.

Trust me, the brake glow IS there but it may not always be obvious depending on the driver and the car settings.  For example depending the brake bias setting you may see the majority of the glow in the front or rear brakes. 

Then there's the application of said brakes by the driver, if you want to get the brakes to light up I believe you have to mash the brake pedal / button / stick to the floor as hard as possible at a high speed and hold them fully on until you come to a dead stop.. however under race conditions braking that "hard" isn't necessarily as effective because it overheats the brakes and doesn't stop you as quickly as a more gentle / progressive approach.  So you might not always see it under race conditions in a race OR replay.

In GT5 the brakes do glow in daylight, not to mention dusk, the dead of night and dawn too but it may not always be noticeable.  Maybe GT5 just does a more realistic representation of brake glow and other games (like Shift 2 or pCars) simply "over do" it to make it more obvious and sensational.

Photobucket

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"
"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.. "
Message 19 of 33 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8584 posts

Feb 7, 2013

yea, it could be quite hazardous to look for rotor glow while approaching a turn side-by-side... DON'T try this at home in a lobby hosted by anyone I know... LOL

Message 20 of 33 (182 Views)
0 Likes