Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Re: tech of wheel rim blur at speed

Feb 7, 2013

Feldynn wrote:

Then there's the application of said brakes by the driver, if you want to get the brakes to light up I believe you have to mash the brake pedal / button / stick to the floor as hard as possible at a high speed and hold them fully on until you come to a dead stop.. however under race conditions braking that "hard" isn't necessarily as effective because it overheats the brakes and doesn't stop you as quickly as a more gentle / progressive approach.  So you might not always see it under race conditions in a race OR replay.

very good point... I had this thought too but forgot to type it up!  Proper braking doesn't involve that severe application of force in most circumstances.  fastest drivers don't use the brake pedel very much actually.

if you watch replays of the "big dogs" what you may notice is that they use brakes as a means of changing the weight distribution of the car for setting up for the corner, not so much for slowing the velocity of the car itself.  Certainly, there are plently of occasions where your car is just simply going too fast and you need to slow down for a turn, but that is almost a secondary concern over getting the car to point correctly and getthe the weight to shift.

I'm learning that slowly, but surely.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 21 of 33 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 7, 2013

Er.... replays? LOL Obviously, unless parked, no-one is looking at the other car's disks. (But nice job of missing the point!)

I've been to plenty of ALMS races, and I can assure you, seeing the glow on hard braking corners (especially if a few in a row) in daylight is no problem at all! At night, it lights up the entire wheel. I felt, after seeing Shift2 and PCARS demos, that their visual depiction of it is more accurate. GT5 pays quite the price on the PS3 for going 1080 and 60fps. Lighting effects, reflections, and other things suffer compared to other games that went 720p for the PS3, or use far more powerful graphics processors on PC's.

Look guys, I'm really not sure what kind of fantasy world you live in, but there ARE other racing games. And SOME aspects of them compare very favorably with GT5, in fact some of them are FAR superior at certain aspects of things. Menus might be faster and more logical, AI might be more competitive and unpredictable, track selection might be better, visual customization might be better, upgrades might be more varied. None of this is hardly news, is it?

However (as most of you seem to constantly forget) the ONLY racing game I currently play is GT5. So that hardly makes me a 'denigrator'! But, unlike so many of you, having GT5 as my goto racing game doesn't mean I feel obliged to completely ignore reality, and blindly disregard whatever shortcomings GT5 has compared to its competitors. The reason I discuss these points, and the reason I really wish so many more of you would join in rather than leaping blindly and usually offensively to PD's defense (on points where generally, there is no defense) is that I think the more that shortcomings are publicly discussed, the more likely PD are to maybe addressing them.

And, no offense, but who here WOULDN'T like better AI, better night racing, better and faster menus, a real livery editor, more upgrade options, a working PP system, more robust online servers, and a few more paid DLC tracks?

But, apparently, I better not DARE to talk about any of this, should I? LOL

You guys are such wimps! Man up, and dare to discuss what you want, and dare to be critical of PD. Trust me, they'll still take your money when GT6 drops..!

Message 22 of 33 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4676 posts

Feb 7, 2013

Destinkeys wrote:

However (as most of you seem to constantly forget) the ONLY racing game I currently play is GT5. So that hardly makes me a 'denigrator'! But, unlike so many of you, having GT5 as my goto racing game doesn't mean I feel obliged to completely ignore reality, and blindly disregard whatever shortcomings GT5 has compared to its competitors. The reason I discuss these points, and the reason I really wish so many more of you would join in rather than leaping blindly and usually offensively to PD's defense (on points where generally, there is no defense) is that I think the more that shortcomings are publicly discussed, the more likely PD are to maybe addressing them.

And, no offense, but who here WOULDN'T like better AI, better night racing, better and faster menus, a real livery editor, more upgrade options, a working PP system, more robust online servers, and a few more paid DLC tracks?

But, apparently, I better not DARE to talk about any of this, should I? LOL

You guys are such wimps! Man up, and dare to discuss what you want, and dare to be critical of PD. Trust me, they'll still take your money when GT6 drops..!

That'll make us all feel welcome.  I'm sure all us wimps will be flocking to your room now to make you feel better.

Given that you've on many occasions denigrated this forum, it's members and any influence it might have, along with suggesting that PD doesn't listen anyway, many here are wondering why you continue to "discuss" your issues.  To what end?

Here's what we dare to do.   We dare to put more effort into enjoying the game as it is, than complaining about what it isn't.

Message 23 of 33 (234 Views)
MVP Support
44789 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 7, 2013

It all comes down to attitude and presentation. We all deal with GT's shortcomings in our own way, but your constant badgering and, yes, denigration of PD and its products is wearing pretty thin and won't achieve what you say you are trying to achieve by doing that.

Message 24 of 33 (232 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 7, 2013

Not while the apologists leap to PD's defense at every opportunity.

Look, who comes to a place like this to heap praises on the game? Look at the entire forum content... precious little of it is general praise. It's either race league discussion, or discussion about things that are not optimal (that better than 'wrong' for you?). And the fact that we are here is praise in itself. We could be on Forza's forum, or iRacing's... Now THAT would be 'denigration'!

I'm pretty new to the forum, maybe I haven't got it all off my chest a year or so ago like perhaps many of you guys have. But the issues I post about aren't imaginary. They still exist, and PD seem to keep adding to them. In the meanwhile, those of you that probably posted about the issues ages ago want to silence those of us doing it for the first time. Sorry guys, but you had your time. Now it's MY time...

Would you all like me to pen a nice long essay about what is great about GT5? If I did, would it shut you up complaining when I bring up its worst points? Because I'd be happy to do that if I got a bit less vehemence for merely pointing out the obvious...

Message 25 of 33 (224 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3763 posts

Feb 7, 2013

Not while the apologists leap to PD's defense at every opportunity.

That's the key.  Perhaps the "Muffins approach" is called for again?

I'm starting it now.

Message 26 of 33 (219 Views)
MVP Support
44789 posts

Feb 7, 2013

You've already expressed what you feel is wrong with PD and GT, many, many, many, many times. This is not new anymore, to you or us. PD has made changes and we expect more, but they do things on their schedule, not ours, so badgering them and going off-topic so often won't likely speed this process up.

Message 27 of 33 (215 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 7, 2013

It takes little to keep coming up with something new to express a desire for change for! If it were the same thing over and over, I could perhaps see your point.

OTOH, perhaps if it IS something that you think COULD use improving (and may have brought up in the past), perhaps the thread would die a quick death if so many weren't so keen to simply leap in and defend PD for something that, deep down, they'd sure like to see improved themselves!

I mean, if 'the PP system ain't broke', 'we don't need DLC tracks', 'Lobby options are just fine as is' etc., weren't constantly brought up, what would there be for me to argue with? LOL

But the defense of the indefensible just seems so partisan. Anyone here own stock in PD? If not, why the burning need to argue what are all valid points? The PP system IS broke. We DO want DLC tracks (that what our poll says, anyway), lobby options do NOT allow us to scritinize cars, impose meaningful car restrictions and upgrades, etc., etc., etc..

If the goal is quieting dissent, arguing that there is no reason for dissent, and it shouldn't be allowed seems counter-productive, doesn't it?

Message 28 of 33 (204 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1034 posts

Feb 7, 2013
So the upshot of all this "banter" is:

brakes DO glow in GT5
they glow during both night AND day times
they only noticeably glow under very heavy braking
only premium cars seem to have glowing brakes

They simply don't glow as much as or as often YOU would like or the way other games make them.

Does that about sum it up?
Photobucket

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"
"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.. "
Message 29 of 33 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Feb 8, 2013

yes, thanks for the synopsis Feld Smiley Happy

what destin does not understand is that one can make all of the same criticisms he makes without the attitude.  I hope that others who aren't as aware of all the history of these bickering sessions can understand what I'm about to say here:

Most of us who play this game and who he labels as "apologists" and "fanboys" make all of the same criticisms he does, and perhaps have at times been even more critical of PD than he is.  we have written large diatribes about what is wrong with GT5 and how stupid PD is not to have fixed it.   How brain-dead they must be if they can't see it.  He refuses to store those criticisms into his memory and when someone disagrees with the level of criticism that he applies or the tactics he uses to manipulate truths, that person is suddenly defending PD in his eyes.

I say "we" and "us" because apparently everyone who is not DestinKeyes actually is nothing like him and are together more or less of the same mind.  Much in the same way that all nationalities on Earth have major differences around the globe, but if presented with an alien culture, would suddenly find all of the similarities that were there all along.

Destin, you refuse to allow the community to have the culture it chooses to have.  Instead, you must insert your negativity into everything, well almost everything.  Occasionally, like in an HDTV discussion, you don't find anything to blame PD for.  No actually, wait a second... you criticized PD for trying to adhere to a 60fps framerate in this thread, so I guess if that guy shopping for a new TV happens to read this one, he'll connect the two so good for you!  But certainly you have the ability to stick to a topic because occasionally you do.  Occasionally if there is nothing but an innocuous discussion about something that doesn't open up the conversation to greviences you have about PD or GT, you can contribute positively.  See the "Age" discussion...  the funny thing is that you had previously accused many of us of being much much younger than you.  That particular discussion illustrates just how wrong your assumptions can be!

The fact is that we endure with a game that we love but are frustrated with simultaneously.  Your motive seems to be not to point out the flaws of GT, because actually we are already aware of every single one of them, we just have exhausted the discussions over the past 2+ years.  Your motive appears to be from all the evidence, not my personal views, that you cannot tolerate the fact that we enjoy the game despite its flaws.  You will not let any discussion simply be what it is.  You must turn it into "me vs them".  We ask you to be one of us, but you refuse and come up with excuses that don't make sense.  You don't have a regular schedule?  Not very many do actually.  Most racers in our Saturday races do not know for sure if they will be there until the actual day.  Other races require confirmation but many do not.  There are many more organized events actually run in open lobbies too.  You can stumble upon or intentionally search for race rooms where there is a solid group of people who have been a part of the community for half a decade or so.

You don't get the comradery and you don't insert yourself into discussions as though you want to contribute and be a part of anything.  Instead you intend to be the antithesis of the word "community".

The bottom line is this:  That you aren't making anyone disatisfied with the game who wasn't already.  You're not able to change someone's opinion about the game toward the negative, because if they've played it, they already know what's wrong with it, more or less.  Every word you type is then a waste of your time because it accomplishes nothing.

Please feel free to post when you have something new to say, otherwise I hope you will consider these two things before you type:

1. Does this really need to be said?

2. Does this really need to be said by ME?

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 30 of 33 (181 Views)