Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 07 2013
By: Intheworldofnim First Son 6 posts

How many Super mario 64 worth of memory can fit in GTA 4?

3 replies 252 views Edited May 7, 2013

The main thing I curious about is for a game like grand theft auto 4, seeing how
the next GTA is about twice the size of it, if they were to make an extended
mini game sorta like those mini games in the arcades of san andreas but on a
scale of something like super Mario 64 or banjo kazooie or a ps1 game. based on
the memory GTA 4 had, how many super Mario 64's do you think they could fit in
there?

Reason why I'm asking this is because after those mini games in
san andreas which were stylized like a game within the san Andréa's world, it
got me thinking exactly how many ps1 like games or 64 games could fit in GTA 4
ram space. I've always dreamed of having a GTA game where they have at least 12
or 13 ps1 style mini games using the same graphics, and same limitations except
maybe for memory if possible.

Message 1 of 4 (252 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Re: How many Super mario 64 worth of memory can fit in GTA 4?

May 8, 2013

bump, anyone know?

Message 2 of 4 (242 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11172 posts

May 8, 2013

To discover the solution, first you'll need to know the file sizes of both games. From what I'm seeing Grand Theft Auto IV stacks up at 10.3 GB of space. From what I can tell Super Mario 64 is technically double the size at 20.25 GB of space. If I'm doing the math correctly, and if all information holds true then Super Mario 64 holds at 162 blocks on Nintendo's WiiWare channel. If 8 blocks of data equal 1 Gigabyte, then that's a mighty amount of space the game contains. Check out the information for yourself.

Message 3 of 4 (238 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1266 posts

May 14, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

To discover the solution, first you'll need to know the file sizes of both games. From what I'm seeing Grand Theft Auto IV stacks up at 10.3 GB of space. From what I can tell Super Mario 64 is technically double the size at 20.25 GB of space. If I'm doing the math correctly, and if all information holds true then Super Mario 64 holds at 162 blocks on Nintendo's WiiWare channel. If 8 blocks of data equal 1 Gigabyte, then that's a mighty amount of space the game contains. Check out the information for yourself.

it says on the first post of that thread that 8 blocks equal 1 megabyte, not giga, but that's just speculation anyway since nintendo doesn't full on disclose that information. On the post about blocks for the game it says 162, or 90 actual. Given the average rom for mario 64 is around 6-8 mb, and 90 blocks works out to about 11 mb, I'd venture that it really is about 11 mb. So...that's about half the mystery solved.

As for the OP, why would you want to know how many mario 64 games you could shove into a GTA game if you would like ps1 style games baked in. It's comparing apples to oranges on more than one level. The nintendo 64 isn't sony to begin with, and their systems ranges held different sized games, specifically since playstation used CD discs.

CDs can hold up to 700 mb of data. Most single disc ps1 games ranged anywhere from 40 to 500 mb, or up to a gig or two for multi disc games (like final fantasy 7). Given a blu ray should hold 50 gbs standard, and up to 200 gbs if layerd, and i gb is about a thousand mbs you could get away with about 8 early ps1 games, 2 premium ps 1 games, or 1 multi layered game per gb, but would also take out a gig of space from the disc to do.

If anything I'd find it hilarious if GTV were on a fully layered blu-ray, and hidden inside the game were a playable GTA san andreas (4.2 gb).

Perish_Song
Message 4 of 4 (203 Views)
0 Likes