Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 29 2009
By: xixMAVERICKxix Wastelander 866 posts

Guitar Hero Strategy Guide

17 replies 282 views Edited Dec 29, 2008
Guitar Hero Strategy Guide

EDIT: This guide is old, but still usefull. I mainly talk about GH3 songs, if you need help on WT songs, I'm sorry, I don't have the game yet. I hope this helps

Hello fellow Guitarheroists. You're stuck on Medium? Maybe you can't hit that orange note? Well i'm going to give you some pointers to make your game a lot better, and a lot easier.

Okay, i just want to let everybody know, before i get started, that reading this will not automatically make you super-awesome at guitar hero. You'll see that i'll say practice a lot, because you can't just read a guide and expect to get back on your guitar and rock out. This guide pretty much just gives you some pointers, and tips. Honestly i think it will help you, but like i said practice makes perfect. I Hope nobody starts flaming me because it was insufficient information. So this is just a heads up.

• Medium Players - Are you completing medium songs without breaking a sweat, but hard is just too hard? Well staying at medium is only going to keep you at the same skill level that you're at. You need to challenge your brain to some hard songs to see if you can pull them off. First of all, you'll need to know how to hit the orange button. It does take time for the beginners, but after you've mastered it, it's just like normal. Sometimes you won't even notice that you've hit an orange note.
- You probably hear this alot, and it's a lot easier said than done, but you'll need to move your whole hand. Lets say you get a pattern of these notes.

(G=Green R=Red Y=Yellow B=Blue O=Orange)

G            G
    R            R
       Y            Y
          B            B

- On medium you should be able to do that pattern pretty easily. Now if we were to throw in an orange key, then you'd need to move your whole hand over so that your index finger lies on the red key.

G            G
    R            R
       Y            Y
          B            B
             O            O

- Now there's an orange key, as you see there's a green key after the orange one here. You'll need to slide back down to green with your index finger, and slide up to red, then do the sweep over to orange.

(1=Index 2=Middle 3=Ring 4=Pinky)

G            G
   R            R
       Y            Y
          B            B
             O            O
         G-1 R-1 Y-2 B-3 O-4 G-1 R-1 Y-2 B-3 O-4

-This is a very simple technique, and it's just an example. There are many other different combinations, but now you see how you have to move your whole hand.

• Hard Players - You've got down most of the chords now that you're doing hard pretty well, and the solos are okay right? If you're still having trouble with chords there isn't much i can do, i had a lot of trouble with them, and all you can do is practice them. You'll definetly need to learn how to hit a double note chord with your pinky and your middle finger. This will be very important when it comes to expert songs.
- You can probably move up to expert now, if you're comfortable with chords, but you still need to work on the solos. Some are very hard, and some are pretty easy. Here's some advice; You have to see the solo in your head first, just get down the pattern of what you'll have to hit, then try to tell your fingers what to do (not literally). Sometimes you'll be amazed that you've just FCed (Full Combo) a solo, and you didn't even know you could.

- Sweeping is in just about every song, so you'll need to learn it. And it's really easy so don't worry. They're All either hammer ons or pull offs, so no strumming needed, except for the first one. Just Use the images above as a reference. Start with your index finger on green, strum one time then move your index to red, middle to yellow, ring to blue pinky to orange, then quickly hop back down to green with your index finger and repeat. Keep in mind that you'll have to learn how to sweep both ways. I still have trouble fastly sweeping from left to right, like in the Metallica-One solo. I have to move my hand to where my palm is above the fretboard.

• Expert Players - You're really good, but you need to learn to tap through those solos with both hands, and use your elbow to strum. It sounds stupid, feels uncomfortable, but if you get good at it, then we're talking about 100% songs all the time.

I know this really just gives out some pointers, and doesn't really go into grave detail, but really people can get out there and type up huge guides, but really all it takes is practice. I beat Gh3 before i ever talked about Gh on a forum. Maybe you can come up with your own techniques that help you get through songs, like i said i had to put my hand on top of the fretboard to beat Metallica-One.

You've heard it all your life, you've never believed it, because you've never put forth the effort enough to make it true, but practice makes perfect. Just use these pointers and google more techniques if you're really just out of ideas on how to beat something. So go play some Gh, and let me know if this helped you at all.

EDIT: Dman421 requested some tips on raining blood, and One. Hope this will help.

In One, when you get to solo. I'm assuming this is where your hand falls apart.

It's hard to go.

1   1
    2   2
       3   3

Over and over again.

I move my whole hand above my guitar neck, and start with my ring ringer on G Middle finger on R and Index finger on Y.

This, combined with star power, gets through One pretty easily.

As for Raining Blood, you just have to sweep really fast. It's really easy to me, i've never had a problem with it. It's just a song a lot of people have a hard time with, i guess you'll just need to keep practicing.

Raining Blood Tactics :

Make sure you get all of the star power throug the beginning of the song. When you get to the solo hit the notes like this.

(1=Index 2=Middle 3=Ring 4=Pinky)

G
             R      R
          Y      Y
       B      B
   O
   4 3 2 1 4 3 2 1 

Or...  
                        G
             R      R
          Y      Y
       B      B
   O
   4 3 2 1 3 2 1 1

This second method is how i used to do it, but now the first method =FC.

Practice makes perfect.

TehGamer : Battles

Battles can be pretty difficult sometimes, you just need to get battle power and use it whenever Slash/Tom/Dev has a lot of notes at one time. The whammy bar works great when there's a huge sum of notes on their part. It'll make them fail really fast. How do you think we all the TDWDTG on expert? There's a super long streak of green notes that you hit whammy on, and he loses in 2 seconds. I'm sure you can find a spot like this on The Slash Battle, or Tom Battle. Also luck contributes a great deal toward battles, keep trying you're bound to get it.

EDIT: If you're having trouble on an expert song, request some tips, and hopefully i can guide you through it. I'm pretty knowledgable at passing those hard songs, so just feel free to ask, and i'll edit the guide with your name, then adding some help. If we get this thread going, hopefully there will be a lot of songs, and people can just resort back to this page to see how to pass that song.

Message Edited by xixMAVERICKxix on 01-26-2008 06:52 AM

Message Edited by xixMAVERICKxix on 01-26-2008 05:33 PM

Message Edited by xixMAVERICKxix on 02-09-2008 01:30 PM

Message Edited by xixMAVERICKxix on 02-09-2008 01:31 PM

Message Edited by xixMAVERICKxix on 02-09-2008 01:35 PM

Message Edited by xixMAVERICKxix on 02-09-2008 01:39 PM

Message Edited by xixMAVERICKxix on 02-09-2008 01:46 PM

Message Edited by xixMAVERICKxix on 02-09-2008 01:47 PM

Message Edited by xixMAVERICKxix on 02-11-2008 01:59 PM

Message Edited by xixMAVERICKxix on 02-11-2008 01:59 PM
Message Edited by xixMAVERICKxix on 12-29-2008 10:00 AM
Message 17 of 18 (282 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Re: Guitar Hero: Expert Guide

Jan 26, 2008
 nice advice, i think this will halp a lot of ppl who are stuck.
Message 1 of 18 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
866 posts

Jan 26, 2008
Thanks. I see a lot of threads with people needing advice on hitting the orange note. So i made this, hopefully it does help.
Message 2 of 18 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
866 posts

Feb 8, 2008
Has this helped anybody at all?
Message 3 of 18 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Feb 8, 2008
i read the guide when you orginally posted........I play on hard the first time through the game, and then jump to expert once ive at  least 4 or 5 starred every song.  Anyway, I have hit a wall on the last setlist of songs.  I beat CoD with no problem the first time.  I get through about 75% of one then.......hand falls apart.  The slayer and iron maiden songs there seems to be no hope for me.  The last sets of GH1,2, and hte 80's I didnt have this problem.

Do you have any advice for these three songs,  The iron maiden song I think I just cant keep up with the pace.

Thanks in advance
Message 4 of 18 (282 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Feb 8, 2008
Sounds hot.
Message 5 of 18 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5946 posts

Feb 9, 2008
This is a nice guide. I was stuck on medium before, but now I completed 25 songs on hard (only 3 stars) and now I'm stuck on the battle with slash. I can't even get through the begining.
Current Games:

Message 6 of 18 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
866 posts

Feb 9, 2008

TeHgAmEr wrote:
This is a nice guide. I was stuck on medium before, but now I completed 25 songs on hard (only 3 stars) and now I'm stuck on the battle with slash. I can't even get through the begining.

The battles just take luck, keep trying. Alternatively, i'll update the guide to help you out.

Message Edited by xixMAVERICKxix on 02-09-2008 01:41 PM
Message 7 of 18 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
866 posts

Feb 9, 2008

DMAN421 wrote:
i read the guide when you orginally posted........I play on hard the first time through the game, and then jump to expert once ive at  least 4 or 5 starred every song.  Anyway, I have hit a wall on the last setlist of songs.  I beat CoD with no problem the first time.  I get through about 75% of one then.......hand falls apart.  The slayer and iron maiden songs there seems to be no hope for me.  The last sets of GH1,2, and hte 80's I didnt have this problem.

Do you have any advice for these three songs,  The iron maiden song I think I just cant keep up with the pace.

Thanks in advance

I added some tips to the guide to help you defeat One, and Raining Blood. A\s for the Number of The Beast song, you'll just have to keep trying. It's pretty easy. You'll get it.

Message Edited by xixMAVERICKxix on 02-09-2008 01:36 PM

Message Edited by xixMAVERICKxix on 02-09-2008 01:49 PM
Message 8 of 18 (282 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
28928 posts

Re: Guitar Hero Strategy Guide

Mar 28, 2008
This guide looks great!! Later, I'll try out the tips and see if they work for me
Message 9 of 18 (282 Views)
0 Likes