Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 12 2010
By: grimgard Wastelander 773 posts

Heavy Rain Adults Only please

113 replies 202 views Edited Feb 12, 2010

I hate to break it to the kiddies but this game is intended for adults, yes it's true adults play the PS3 as well as kids. Your first hint would be the "M" for mature rating on the demo, and your second hint would be if your bored with the game. The third hint is if your only impression of the game was "it's to much of a pain to push so many buttons at once" or "There was way to much talking" or "when do I get to kill someone" or "This game feels like work"

I have been reading to many posts about people not liking the game for this reason or that and I get the impression that these people are kids or just immature adults. This game is all about the story, Art direction, Character development, Attention to detail, Taking things slow, and being a dectective.

The fun in this game is pressing the buttons corectly (the fight scene) and being rewarded with saving the girl (prostitute) and finnaly the big reward getting clues and one more pice of the puzzle.

IF you looking for an over the top action game then your looking in the wrong place, If your looking to be engage with a riviting story (and your the main characters) then have fun with this inovative and amazing game.

Message 1 of 114 (202 Views)
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Re: Heavy Rain Adults Only please

Feb 12, 2010

Proper word of mouth is going to be terribly important for this game.  A commercial says "Get ready for the most innovative game of all time" and you thing, "Cool, neater ways to kill people."  But if a friend says, "This game is amazing but please be prepared for a completely different way to enjoy a video game.  This is NOT an action game," and whatever qualifiers one decides to throw in there.  I encourage everyone with some pull (a consistent and popular blog, cubic ass-ton of Twitter followers and Facebook friends, BFFs with someone popular like Felicia Day or Tycho) to help get the word out that this game is different.

The worse thing that can and will happen with Heavy Rain is that someone will tell a pal, "Heavy Rain is **bleep** amazing!  Buy now!" and then this other nerd spends $60 dollars and gets something he never expected.  Next thing you know, he's telling everyone he knows how pissed he is that this $60 game is crap and GameStop will only give him $20 for it and no one should buy it and it's garbage and arggghhh!  And his negative comments spread like an internet rumor that Megan Fox gets nekkid in that kid's movie (I'm going to start spreading that rumor, BTW).

Fun fact:  Apparently many people expect Heavy Rain to be an intense, hardcore shooter.  They will hate this game, because American's can never accept the unexpected. 

PatientJ
Message 2 of 114 (201 Views)
Sackboy
618 posts

Feb 12, 2010
If anyone expects Heavy Rain to be an intense first-person shooter they are seriously misinformed and could even be considered lazy based on all the information available too us by this point. But if some COD afficianato picks up this game after reading the rating on the back and seeing "nudity, strong sexual situations" they are probably going to be pissed. hahaha
Photobucket
Message 3 of 114 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
773 posts

Feb 12, 2010

PatientJ wrote:

Proper word of mouth is going to be terribly important for this game.  A commercial says "Get ready for the most innovative game of all time" and you thing, "Cool, neater ways to kill people."  But if a friend says, "This game is amazing but please be prepared for a completely different way to enjoy a video game.  This is NOT an action game," and whatever qualifiers one decides to throw in there.  I encourage everyone with some pull (a consistent and popular blog, cubic ass-ton of Twitter followers and Facebook friends, BFFs with someone popular like Felicia Day or Tycho) to help get the word out that this game is different.

The worse thing that can and will happen with Heavy Rain is that someone will tell a pal, "Heavy Rain is **bleep** amazing!  Buy now!" and then this other nerd spends $60 dollars and gets something he never expected.  Next thing you know, he's telling everyone he knows how pissed he is that this $60 game is crap and GameStop will only give him $20 for it and no one should buy it and it's garbage and arggghhh!  And his negative comments spread like an internet rumor that Megan Fox gets nekkid in that kid's movie (I'm going to start spreading that rumor, BTW).

Fun fact:  Apparently many people expect Heavy Rain to be an intense, hardcore shooter.  They will hate this game, because American's can never accept the unexpected. 

Huh? Heavy Rain an intense, Hardcore shooter? where did you hear this? An innovative game in no way states anything other than "being ahead of the times" Not " I get to kill people"

This is exactly what I was talking about in my OP. I am not trying to insult you and I apologies if I do but I get the impression your a kid or have not "grown up" as they say.

Your missing the point and misinterpreting the advertisements for this game. Every add I have seen gave me the impression I would be taking part in an interactive story not some shooter.

Ps. There is a spell check feature you might want to use it.

Message Edited by grimgard on 02-12-2010 11:33 AM
Message 4 of 114 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2712 posts

Feb 12, 2010

I hate those stupid parents who don't pay attention to the ratings for video games and end up buying M-content for a 6 year old. Yeah I've seen that happen before in a store.

I love the QTE since they remind me of Shenmue. 

Message 5 of 114 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Feb 12, 2010

grimgard wrote: 
Huh? Heavy Rain an intense, Hardcore shooter? where did you hear this? An innovative game in no way states anything other than "being ahead of the times" Not " I get to kill people"

This is exactly what I was talking about in my OP. I am not trying to insult you and I apologies if I do but I get the impression your a kid or have not "grown up" as they say.

Your missing the point and misinterpreting the advertisements for this game. Every add I have seen gave me the impression I would be taking part in an interactive story not some shooter.

Ps. There is a spell check feature you might want to use it.

Message Edited by grimgard on 02-12-2010 11:33 AM

Thing is, you're actually taking the adverts and looking into the title.  Since the best way to market a title is to showcase the action, people who don't follow the industry such as we few are taking the ads at face value.  And they see action sequences that look to be simply the cutscenes.  As a result, they fill in the blanks themselves and assume the title is whatever. In this case, for some reason, they assume it is an action heavy game, that plays as a traditional game.  I'm not trying to say I'm not expecting something entirely different and revolutionary.  I've had a hard on for this title back when it was called "Untitled Quantic Dream Project."  I still own my Indigo Prophecy today, so, I gather you might have misinterpreted my statements, but I take no offense.
My statements had three objectives: the primary objective was that Heavy Rain will be misinterpreted.  The secondary objective was that we need to help verbalize that it is something completely new.  Tertiary: I just like to use the word tertiary.
Also, I see the misuse of "thing" rather than "think" early on in my post - which common spell-checking software would overlook - but what other spelling errors are you speaking of?  The "nekkid" was intentional.
Message Edited by PatientJ on 02-12-2010 02:54 PM
PatientJ
Message 6 of 114 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
574 posts

Feb 12, 2010

For being "mature adults" you guys do a pretty bad job at reading and responding to posts.

And spelling/grammar mistakes happen. A few missed commas, mispelled words is to be expected. But when there is no capitalization, no periods, and everything is a constant, run-on sentence ... that is when people take it too far.

He wasn't saying HE thinks it is a hardcore FPS/action game, he is saying many were expecting that and then are whining about the demo being boring, and that you have to press too many buttons. I think both of you are on the same page ... read the post more carefully next time maybe?

Message 7 of 114 (201 Views)
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Feb 12, 2010
Appreciate it, Matt.
PatientJ
Message 8 of 114 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
678 posts

Feb 12, 2010

im 17 and i think this game will be amazing...i hate cod it sucks..

everytime i try to explain this game someone always asks

stupid person - "is it a FPS?"

me - "no..."

stupid person - "oh..nvm....what about online?"

me - "no"

stupid person - "i only care for online so it sounds stupid"

NOT EVERY FING GAME CAN BE LIKE COD (which sucks)

Photobucket
Message 9 of 114 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Feb 12, 2010

The idea is to tell someone that this is a new experience, something unlike other games.  There aren't menus and no point distribution.  No accuracy required (except for pressing the correct button) and it's not a light experience.  It's not designed for fans of CoD or Fallout, it's made for anyone who loves storytelling, whether they are obsessed with Lost or Blue Velvet, Dan Brown or Neil Gaiman.  It's almost not a game, but a new way to interact in a storytelling medium.

BTW: Love MW2, and pretty much everything of some quality 

Message Edited by PatientJ on 02-12-2010 03:51 PM
PatientJ
Message 10 of 114 (201 Views)
0 Likes