41 replies 762 views Edited Mar 15, 2011

First thoughts on Homefront?

Message 1 of 42 (762 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Re: Homefront First Impressions?

Mar 15, 2011

I only got to play for about 30 minutes today.Played online and the single player mode. So far I enjoy it. Very difficult on multiplayer, almost too much going on. Will take some adjustments. The maps are impressive and weapons pretty good. So far I like it.

Message 2 of 42 (762 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
844 posts

Mar 15, 2011

So far Im just not feeling it but will give it another try later.  Servers are too stressed right now and just adds to my stress :-)  Its a pain right now connecting with friends, mics not cutting out, or just getting into a random game.  It took me 20 min before I finally got into one.  All this is expected for something this big so I have no beef with that

Unfortunately I cant help but to compare everything to the COD series so of course im a little biased.  A good thing though is that the controls are identical to COD!

Still trying to figure out everything thats going on but people seem to be very easy to take down.  I was usually using the Heavy preset and i could easily shoot people no matter how close or far.  I was basically sniping with a heavy gun.  When using Sniper, I could never shoot anyone...no matter if they were perfectly still in the distance or up close in my face, I just couldnt make contact (from what i could tell) or kill them. 

Everything I have read about graphically, its not quite up there with most other shooters, is pretty true.  Kinda makes me think about MAG.

The feel of moving, aiming, etc... isnt QUITE there with COD but its definitely more comfortable than Battlefield.  in Battlefield, I do my best to never be on foot.  If I am not in a vehicle, or sniping in the distance (because little movement is needed), I just cant last.

Ill still give it some more attempts, hopefully I will get more into it.  May help to play with friends if that ever gets working.

Message 3 of 42 (762 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2106 posts

Mar 16, 2011

The maps are too big. You spend most of your time running. Not much point in having SMGs in this game. The average player seems to get about 5 kills per match so far. The controls and overall feel is pretty good. The smallest map "Cul de Sac" is actually a lot of fun because you aren't running constantly to get to the action. It has its moments, and maybe it will grow on me. The huge maps just make the gameplay really dull. The graphics are better than Black Ops (though even my Atari 2600 has better graphics than Black Ops). The only thing really keeping this game from being addictive is the ridiculously large maps.

Message 4 of 42 (762 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
48 posts

Mar 16, 2011

I like big maps myself. Nothing worse than being in a small map and spawning right into the middle of a fire fight. I really haven't seen a TDM map on here that I would call to big. Now some of the Domination style maps seem a little big. Sucks when you spawn in and have to run forever to get to where the action is.

Message 5 of 42 (762 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Mar 16, 2011

I think the MP will be awesome once they patch the server issues.

Message 6 of 42 (762 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12345 posts

Mar 17, 2011

KellyJaye wrote:

So far Im just not feeling it but will give it another try later.  Servers are too stressed right now and just adds to my stress :-)  Its a pain right now connecting with friends, mics not cutting out, or just getting into a random game.  It took me 20 min before I finally got into one.  All this is expected for something this big so I have no beef with that

PSN ID: KellyJaye ...if anyone cares - www.myspace.com/kellyjinva

Big?  This game is small potatoes dude.  I bet it's going to sell less on the PS3 than KZ3 has.

Message 7 of 42 (762 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5276 posts

Mar 17, 2011

leukoplast wrote:

KellyJaye wrote:

PSN ID: KellyJaye ...if anyone cares - www.myspace.com/kellyjinva

Big?  This game is small potatoes dude.  I bet it's going to sell less on the PS3 than KZ3 has.

Already confirmed to have sold more. LINK

Message 8 of 42 (762 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
300 posts

Mar 18, 2011

This game blows. Graphics make me think PS2.  I bought my copy new, but my biggest beef is that it's following in EA's footsteps with "Online Pass".  That means if you rent, borrow or buy used you will have to pay an additional $10 to play this game online.  Homefront doesn't advertise "Online Pass" either.  It doesn't even have a name.  It just makes you pay to play.  On a scale from 1-10, I give this game a 6.5.  It is a game I should have rented first before waisting my money.  Had I rented it I would've had to pay another $10 though just to play online. 

I do not think I will buy another title released by THQ ever again.  They produce crap so horrible that you really have to rent it to know if it's a decent game or not, and then you'll have to pay another $10 to play your rental online.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 9 of 42 (762 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
844 posts

Mar 18, 2011

That is incorrect about paying to play online.  When I first went online with the game, it says that if you do not have a code that came with the game, you will only be allowed to rank up to level 5 online.  You can still play it all you want, just wont be able to get any higher in the game.

The online pass thing kinda sucks but I can agree on their reasoning for them and EA having such a feature.  In the end, it still ends up being cheaper to by the game used and pay for the online pass in most cases.  Atleast with me, Ill rarely buy a used game for anymore than 20.00

Message 10 of 42 (762 Views)
0 Likes