Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 10 2011
By: dragon648 First Son 2 posts

have a question about replacing a ps3 hard drive (old not slim)

3 replies 404 views Edited Jun 10, 2011

basically my hard drive is out of space and i need a new one. after doing a bit of research i found that a ps3 hard drive is a 2.5 inch sata laptop hard drive. i have seen these cables that you connect a sata hard drive in one end and a usb in the other which can connect to the computer. so if i buy a new hard drive and take out my old one connect it to my computer copy all old data on to computer connect new hard drive copy old data onto new hard drive would this work?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (404 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16814 posts

Re: have a question about replacing a ps3 hard drive (old not slim)

Jun 10, 2011

Solar_DifusionWeapon Master

A PS3 will only read a USB Drive if it is FAT or FAT32.

Since the internal drive is NOT fat or fat32, it will not be recognized through the USB Port until you format it to FAT or FAT32, which will erase any data on it.

You have to Backup the PS3 in some way, in order to transfer any data from old HDD to new HDD.

What you can do (though you do run the risk of having a corrupt backup) is:

1. Put new drive into enclosure
  2. Format new drive to FAT32 with PC
  3. Backup PS3 to new drive
  4. Connect back to PC and copy PS3 folder to PC
  5. Install new drive inside PS3
  6. Install old drive into enclosure
  7. Connect old drive to PC and format to FAT32
  8. Copy PS3 folder to old drive in enclosure
  9. Connect to PS3 and restore backup

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (404 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 10, 2011

i mean if i connect something like this

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276554&CatId=3770

to my hard drive copy everything from ps3 hard drive to my computer then put the data onto a new hard drive and install the new one into the ps3

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (404 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7092 posts

Jun 13, 2011

dragon648 wrote:

i mean if i connect something like this

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276554&CatId=3770

to my hard drive copy everything from ps3 hard drive to my computer then put the data onto a new hard drive and install the new one into the ps3

I've used this adapter that you're linking from Tigerdirect.  I didn't have much look with it. I'd only suggest this device in a last case scenerio, but as the guy above me has said it won't work for what you want to do with it.

Easiest most efficient way I'd suggest is buying an external drive.  They're cheap now a days, and it's something you'll use for months to come. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (404 Views)
0 Likes