Sackboy
525 posts

Re: Holy Guacamole Sauce...

Jun 10, 2008

Silver Peaks is a walk in the park - scratch that: hills! - compared to Crown Links!!!  I can double digit under on Silver but can't get better than -6, regular or long, on Crown if my life depended on it!!!

I guess with any game, the more you play and become familiar with the course, such as where it is safe to land the ball - i.e. not on a down slope leading to a deep bunker or water!!!

Just found a great new move!  Using Super-Top-Spin to skip on water to reach par 5's in two!   

"Columbus went around the world in 1492. That isn't a lot of strokes
when you consider the course." Lee Trevino
Message 11 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Jun 10, 2008
I believe Shihiko, one of the best players in the world, likes to use the water bounce to reach greens (even on drives from some par 4's). But you have to be careful, but because it randomly doesn't work. What I've heard is it depends on the downward angle. Even if you have STS, if it's coming too sharply down there's a good chance it won't skip. Heck I've had it skip with regular BS before (though it'll plunk in the water after that). TS works better of course, but be careful if you're doing it from a high, elevated position.
Message 12 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
525 posts

Jun 10, 2008
Good advice Prime!
Message 13 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2438 posts

Jun 10, 2008

JEdwards wrote:
I believe Shihiko, one of the best players in the world, likes to use the water bounce to reach greens (even on drives from some par 4's). But you have to be careful, but because it randomly doesn't work. What I've heard is it depends on the downward angle. Even if you have STS, if it's coming too sharply down there's a good chance it won't skip. Heck I've had it skip with regular BS before (though it'll plunk in the water after that). TS works better of course, but be careful if you're doing it from a high, elevated position.

So, in other words, if you're gonna skip, use someone like L.J. with a 1W?

OK, who broke my sig?
Message 14 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Jun 11, 2008
I guess LJ would work, but he's certainly not ideal on Peaks. One way to find out is use the Training mode and change up the characters with Select on the par 5's. If I weren't so desperate to practice Crown so I don't continue to embarass myself in G0, I'd practice crazy shots on all the courses.
Message 15 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
455 posts

Jun 12, 2008

Well guys.  I'm not gonna brag <nudge nudge, pat on the back> but I finally got to the Crown Links, and it really wasn't that tough.  I mean I had to play with heavy winds so maybe that helped out, but initial drive, and staying on the fairways was really simple.  And most putts were fine.  There were a couple of brutal putting surfaces where if you were off by a little the ball kept rolling, but I seemed to be able to adjust pretty easily.  

I definitely think  Silver Peaks (at least for me) is the most brutal course (unless there is another course after Crown Links).  I'm not saying I'm getting -10 or -11 under par on Crown Links.  But I'm definitely doing better than 0 or -1 which is what I was getting on Silver Peaks... IF I WAS LUCKY.  I mean going back and playing Silver Peaks just an hour ago, I barely beat the CPU players.  I got -1 under PAR for the entire course.  Luckily on the last hole I birdied and the #1 CPU got double bogey to go PAR on the entire course.  If he had just bogey'd, then I would of lost on points.  

And I'm trying to practice now, and I still can't figure out how to do these approach shots to the pin.

Message 16 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Jun 12, 2008
Were you using an expert character? Peaks is tough, but somewhat doable with novice characters. Crown is murder on novice characters (unless you mostly go for pars). And it's very tough on many of the intermediate characters, particularly with standard equipment and/or rainy/windy conditions. With an expert character, Crown isn't too bad, but otherwise many of the greens are very hard to get the ball to stick if you want manageable birdie putts. Play several rounds on both and check your par pace and putting stats and you'll see what I mean. I used to think Peaks was harder, but once you get used to it the approaches are easier than Crown (and that is the key).
Message 17 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
455 posts

Jun 12, 2008

I'm playing the game kind of weird.  I'm actually only using novice players moving left to right until every character has MAX Loyalty and then I move on to the next one.  So right now I'm using Sophie.  She's about two 1st place games from MAX level... then I'll move onto Bjorn (Nick & Jasmine are already MAX). 

I did try to use intermediate characters and expert characters on Silver Peaks because I was getting frustrated beyond comprehension, but they didn't help solve any of my issues.  The ball always ended up rolling off the green whenever I made my approach shot towards the pin.  So I ended up going back to Sophie and finally getting 1st place after some luck.  

On Crown, I was able to go through the course in about 3 tries before I won with -3 on the back end.  After about 2 tries I was able to get -2 on the front.  I then tried them again just to see if I could recreate that magic with Sophie and ended up doing -3  on the back end again and -3 on the front.  So I don't seem to have any issues with Crown... YET.  Silver Peaks is still the bane of my existence.  I tried it again after playing Crown and ended up breaking even after 18 holes.

Message 18 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
525 posts

Jun 13, 2008

^ ^ --- I did that! Wouldn't recommend it now, though!

I would ensure that you have at least 1 player from Novice, Intermediate and Expect that is Maxed out or close, so when you're in an online tournament, where you can choose within a particular character class, you're not disadvantaged.

Played a lot of Silver Peaks last night and agree that it is more challenging than the previous courses, but found the greens flat-ish - maybe they're a little on the tiny side, but still not too bad to putt on. Played Crown Links and was not confident of a single 1 putt!!!!

Message Edited by Noobs on 06-13-2008 03:46 PM
Message 19 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
455 posts

Jun 13, 2008

I noticed on the back 9 holes of Crown that I can maintain -3 under PAR by just the first two holes.  First one I birdie and the second one I can Eagle.  After that I just PAR the rest of the holes.

And yeah, I'm very weird on how I go about leveling up my characters.  I guess I should level up other classes after I'm done with Sophie.  It's just going to be so hard for me to break my completionist mindset to steer off course for a bit. 

Message 20 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes