Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 09 2008
By: CloudYiMPULSE Sackboy 455 posts

Holy Guacamole Sauce...

19 replies 25 views Edited Jun 9, 2008

I'm not the a super great fantastical player, but I've been cruising along beating all the offline tournaments.  Not by any great numbers but I'm doing ok.  So I login to challenge mode, and the 1st and 3rd 9 Hole course for the 7th Tier are Silver Peaks G.C.  HOLY JEZUZ CHRIZATS... Talk about finding all the flaws in your game.  I want to kill myself.  I don't know how well you guys do on this course, but if you guys are getting birdies throughout this course you guys are the best.  You have to be dead on when making an approach for the Pin.  I don't know how you guys do it (if you're doing it at all).  

Man any suggestions would be great, especially on those PAR-3 Holes where if you under or over shoot you're in the water, and even if you do get to the middle somehow, it rolls off into the bunkers.  Arghhhh I tells ya.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 20 (25 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1015 posts

Re: Holy Guacamole Sauce...

Jun 9, 2008
i aggre 100% on how tough that course can be. First i would like to say is that i find having a high amount of power is important because sticking a 9iron into the green is much easier then a 6iron. Then if you are good on getting a super spin shot, dont be afraid to use a character with high spin. I always find pin hole to be a really good choice because the ball will go straighter. Lastly, go in the trainning mode and try different clubs on all the pars threes and remember what you hit. 
Lucky 777 1:17 June 25th 2008
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 20 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
307 posts

Jun 9, 2008

Some people consider Silver Peaks harder than Crown Links. So we're all in the same boat really. It comes to down to character/equipment and super backspin (SBS). First, you need to make sure you're using good enough characters and equipment. Emphasize power and spin, with C control or better. If you're not playing in rain, I would suggest Infinity club and ball combination. If you need power try Big Magnum club and Pin hole if the character you're using has at least C spin.

When trying to hit the greens on Silver Peaks, you'll want to go with the smallest club possible (which is why you want more power, since it'll allow you to use smaller clubs). Smaller clubs have more carry and stop sooner. When you have to use larger clubs, that's where super backspin really comes into play. For example, if you typically need to use a 3I on a long Par 3, use different equipment so you can use a 4I. Then use a power shot to use a 5I instead. Combine that with SBS, and you can safely carry the water or bunker in front and not roll into the bunker on the other side (if your character has enough spin). Practice in Training mode where you can try out different characters and equipment on each hole by pressing Select.

One tip about the fairways in Peaks. Use spin (oftentimes diagonal spin) to counter any slopes that may run you into the rough. Also, there are certain places on some fairways which are a little closer to the tee but are elevated enough to clear rocks or other hazards. One of the Par 5's has such a place. If your character has enough power and spin, you can shoot a bit short on the drive on top of the small hill then hit a 1W over the rocks to the green or close to it. You may have to use SBS with some characters. Check it out and have fun!

Optimus Prime
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 20 (25 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1015 posts

Jun 9, 2008

JEdwards wrote:

Some people consider Silver Peaks harder than Crown Links. So we're all in the same boat really. It comes to down to character/equipment and super backspin (SBS). First, you need to make sure you're using good enough characters and equipment. Emphasize power and spin, with C control or better. If you're not playing in rain, I would suggest Infinity club and ball combination. If you need power try Big Magnum club and Pin hole if the character you're using has at least C spin.

When trying to hit the greens on Silver Peaks, you'll want to go with the smallest club possible (which is why you want more power, since it'll allow you to use smaller clubs). Smaller clubs have more carry and stop sooner. When you have to use larger clubs, that's where super backspin really comes into play. For example, if you typically need to use a 3I on a long Par 3, use different equipment so you can use a 4I. Then use a power shot to use a 5I instead. Combine that with SBS, and you can safely carry the water or bunker in front and not roll into the bunker on the other side (if your character has enough spin). Practice in Training mode where you can try out different characters and equipment on each hole by pressing Select.

One tip about the fairways in Peaks. Use spin (oftentimes diagonal spin) to counter any slopes that may run you into the rough. Also, there are certain places on some fairways which are a little closer to the tee but are elevated enough to clear rocks or other hazards. One of the Par 5's has such a place. If your character has enough power and spin, you can shoot a bit short on the drive on top of the small hill then hit a 1W over the rocks to the green or close to it. You may have to use SBS with some characters. Check it out and have fun!

wow, good advice we have a same style too 

Lucky 777 1:17 June 25th 2008
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 20 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
455 posts

Jun 9, 2008

First of all thanks to both of you.  That's a lot of information to take in.  I haven't had any issues driving and staying on the greens.  It's always my approach shot where I just can't get them going, no matter what type of super spin I put on the ball.  It's mainly the weird angles you get when you start looking at the pin.  I mean if you're not within 7 to 8 feet from the pin, the breaks are brutal.

In practice mode can you set it so you can keep trying the same spot on the same hole over and over?  Because I would like to just position myself in one spot and keep hitting the ball for some approach shots on some of the holes instead of having to do all the other shots before it. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 20 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
307 posts

Jun 9, 2008
Unfortunately, the training mode does not allow you to drop the ball and hit from anywhere. But you can re-hit to your heart's desire. So drive the ball to where you usually have it and just re-hit approaches until you have it.
Optimus Prime
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 20 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
455 posts

Jun 9, 2008

Thanks... I'll have to check that out when I get home.  Brutal I tells ya.  BRUTAL!

If you don't mind me asking... What do you guys average for 18 Holes on this course?  So far I'm averaging -2 under par. 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 20 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
307 posts

Jun 9, 2008
I'm not sure what my average would be. I'm sure it depends on the character level and the length of the course (reg or long tee). I would say if I could use Anya on regular tee, it would be double-digits. But a novice on long-tee would probably be single digits. I just don't play Peaks that much. I've actually played Crown more because that's what most G0 tournments use. Crown's greens are devastating. If you're not using an expert character like Anya or Gloria, you need to be on the money with approaches or you're in a very deep bunker or the water. Very easy to get bogeys on Crown. Peaks is tough, but if you place your drive right--the key is to land the ball on a slight upslope with little side slope so your approaches get a bit more carry and you don't come at the green at harsh angles--it's not as bad as Crown. I'm sure you'll tame Peaks in no time.
Optimus Prime
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 20 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
494 posts

Jun 9, 2008

JEdwards wrote:
I'm not sure what my average would be. I'm sure it depends on the character level and the length of the course (reg or long tee). I would say if I could use Anya on regular tee, it would be double-digits. But a novice on long-tee would probably be single digits. I just don't play Peaks that much. I've actually played Crown more because that's what most G0 tournments use. Crown's greens are devastating. If you're not using an expert character like Anya or Gloria, you need to be on the money with approaches or you're in a very deep bunker or the water. Very easy to get bogeys on Crown. Peaks is tough, but if you place your drive right--the key is to land the ball on a slight upslope with little side slope so your approaches get a bit more carry and you don't come at the green at harsh angles--it's not as bad as Crown. I'm sure you'll tame Peaks in no time.

Excellent tips Prime!

I find Crown way way harder than Silver...  I'm like you with Silver (regular and long), shooting at double digit unders, but boy is that Crown hard...  My best on regular Crown is double digit under, but Crown long is only at -6...  I literally want to throw my controller playing Crown long sometimes...  Even when you're doing so well up to 13 holes, you could get a bogey or double so easily... then frustration kicks in for eventual downhill...

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 20 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
853 posts

Jun 10, 2008
glad i opened this thread, will put those advices to good use, thanks you guys and keep them coming. . .
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 20 (25 Views)
0 Likes