Jun 13 2008
By: Stevie_McC Sackboy 525 posts

Oh dear!

4 replies 7 views Edited Jun 13, 2008

My first G1 tournament didn't quite go to plan! I wasn't ever challenging for a podium, but was in the top ten(ish), 16 holes in, when it happend. I had just set the power at the top of my swing when the TV screen went black, as it tried to turn itself onto EXT1 mode, before reverting back to HDMI mode just in time for me to hear the clang of doom and the negative screen that tells you that a baby could have played that shot more sucessfully than you just did!!!

Now, I've got a reasonably cheap TV, and am using "reasonably" dirt-cheap SCART and HDMI cables (CHEAP SKATE!!!! ) and this has happened before a number of times, but never at an important time. Has anybody else ever experienced this with their PS3/TV setup? I'm going to buy middle-of-the-road HDMI and SCART cables, but am worried it might be the beloved PS3!!!

"Columbus went around the world in 1492. That isn't a lot of strokes
when you consider the course." Lee Trevino
Message 1 of 5 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10730 posts

Re: Oh dear!

Jun 13, 2008
nothing like that has happened to my ps3 and tv.....but im not using a cheap tv...(playing on a 46" Samsung)
Message 2 of 5 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
455 posts

Jun 13, 2008

Really Sorry to hear that.  I've never had my TV go out on me though before like that (unless there was a power outage... but then everything else went out as well LoL).

I was doing semi well in a Tournament online a couple of days ago.  I was going to make my approach shot when my cellphone rang in my pocket and it scared the crap out of me.  It eventually led to me completely missing the button and the shot just ended up going straight up in the air.  Was brutal since I had never won an online tournament and I was still in contention for a top 3 spot.

Message Edited by CloudYiMPULSE on 06-13-2008 08:09 AM
Message 3 of 5 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
307 posts

Jun 13, 2008

Stevie, does your TV also have a component hook-up? If so, you may want to use that (at least for games). If you hook up both HDMI and component, you could switch off in the XMB (HDMI for Bluray and upscaled DVDs, component for games). It sounds like a problem with your TV communicating with the PS3 via HDMI (I think people call it "handshake"). Not uncommon, especially for older TVs and/or lower-spec HDMI ports on the TV.

The worst thing that happened to me was getting disconnected while near the lead. But everyone was booted off that time, so I couldn't complain too much. That and a few times I've double-clicked when swinging so my power on the drive was hardly anything. Cost me a podium one time.

Optimus Prime
Message 4 of 5 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
525 posts

Jun 13, 2008

Cheers buddies!

I've got a new HDMI and scart cables as, to be honest, the old ones were both really poor!  I've had to wiggle the cable TV scart a number of times due to a poor connection that lost the picture, and the HDMI I got from GAME.com ,when I bought the PS3, so no surprise that's rubbish - the HDMI plugs were at wierd angles, not nicely perpendicular to the wire as you would expect!

"Columbus went around the world in 1492. That isn't a lot of strokes
when you consider the course." Lee Trevino
Message 5 of 5 (7 Views)
0 Likes