Feb 09 2014
By: Telephone-Calls Fender Bender 3423 posts

Jak doesn't have a strong enough story for Jak 4

12 replies 561 views Edited Feb 9, 2014
Seriously, Jak 3 was a satisfying ending. Leave it as it is.

RingingPhoneTelephone Calls 

Satire Extraordinaire!RingingPhone
"Stop trolling, you're CLEARLY trolling!" - Everyone In Off-Topic.

~ Proud Upholder Of The PS Forums Rules Of Conduct ~
~ Survivor Of Two Permanent Bans ~ Influential Satire Member ~

~ Forum Moderation Expert ~ Victim Of Many Injustices ~
~ Sworn Enemy To The Off-Topic Board ~ Anti-Troll Cultist ~

...Before you report this post, please check HERE to see if it actually breaches the PS Forums Rules Of Conduct, otherwise you're wasting your time! Thanks!

Message 1 of 13 (561 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7051 posts

Re: Jak doesn't have a strong enough story for Jak 4

Feb 11, 2014

This is just looking for argument or asking for trouble. No Jak 3's end was not satifying and yes Jak 4 does have a strong enough story to be made into a sequel. You're not a game designer so how would you know? Like seriously. You're assuming his next game has to be about Mar or just The Mar. They can easily add new challenges and stories to go along with the Mar story if they were to do the Mar story or again make a new story.

After Jak & Daxter TLF came out, a proper game must be made so that it doesn't look like TLF is the best Jak is going to get and the best he's been. Jak's 3 story was clearly unsatifsying as it's dead obvious through the Jak 3 ending. If you don't care or want a sequel fine, but don't come here on the forums saying there isn't enough story for a new game when stories are supposed to be MADE & lying to youserself saying Jak 3 was fine. You can keep that stuff to yourself because noone here will agre with you.

photo 1-Xzveb9U_zpsedcf7d52.png
Only time will tell.
Message 2 of 13 (537 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3423 posts

Feb 11, 2014
That's a biased opinion right there. Jak 3 ended with the bad guys being defeated and everyone was happy! Jak 4 will just ruin it.

Look at the Halo series as a prime example of this, Halo 3 concluded everything, finished the fight. Fans demanded a Halo 4 and got a poor excuse for a Halo game along with Halo 5 and 6 coming soon. Would you want Jak's reputation to be scarred?

RingingPhoneTelephone Calls 

Satire Extraordinaire!RingingPhone
"Stop trolling, you're CLEARLY trolling!" - Everyone In Off-Topic.

~ Proud Upholder Of The PS Forums Rules Of Conduct ~
~ Survivor Of Two Permanent Bans ~ Influential Satire Member ~

~ Forum Moderation Expert ~ Victim Of Many Injustices ~
~ Sworn Enemy To The Off-Topic Board ~ Anti-Troll Cultist ~

...Before you report this post, please check HERE to see if it actually breaches the PS Forums Rules Of Conduct, otherwise you're wasting your time! Thanks!

Message 3 of 13 (534 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Feb 16, 2014
The precursor league.. Bam that alone should speak to you and make you question.. What other leagues will there be?? Jak and daxter have such potential its not even funny it wouldn't ruin them for them to come back on ps4 and wipe the floor with evil doers. If and or when a new jak game ever comes to light it will be devastating and the effects will be felt for years to come.
Message 4 of 13 (516 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7051 posts

Feb 16, 2014

Telephone-Calls wrote:
That's a biased opinion right there. Jak 3 ended with the bad guys being defeated and everyone was happy! Jak 4 will just ruin it.

Look at the Halo series as a prime example of this, Halo 3 concluded everything, finished the fight. Fans demanded a Halo 4 and got a poor excuse for a Halo game along with Halo 5 and 6 coming soon. Would you want Jak's reputation to be scarred?

Definitely not bias. You're just clearly.. short coming & unimaginative. The fact that you don't see how much potential Jak has is enough said. The bad guys weren't completely defeated btw as it's confirmed at the end of Jak 3. Shows how much you know. Jak 4 WILL NOT RUIN IT LMFAO. Ever heard of new story??? Do I seriously have to name hundreds of successful games that have done this such as RATCHET & CLANK?! Like seriously? You for some reason keep thinking the sequel has to try and piece off everything from past events and continue on. Jak has potential left for a completely new story after the events of Jak 3, a new story that formed from past events in the trilogy or a contiuation of the story from Jak 3 where Jak perhaps meets the Dark Maker Boss and "actually finishes" off the entire race of them along with finding out the mysteries of Mar (Uncharted 1 style like with Sir Franchis Drake).

Difference with Halo is first off, it's not developed my one of the worlds best story telling game makers, it's on Xbox and doesn't have nowhere near as much potential as Jak does. Jak's 3 ending is literally the definition of cliffhanger & insufficient. 

Only time will tell.
Message 5 of 13 (510 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
506 posts

Feb 17, 2014
Another thing and I know it's a spinoff but how is Jak 3 a true conclusion if Jak X takes place after it. If anything I like its ending better than Jak 3's. It brings almost every character from Jak 2 & 3 and finds someway to place the characters into the story somewhere. Then there is a lot of unanswered questions. Is Jak Mar?, What about The Dark Makers?, Is Veger still alive or did He become dinner?, There is that mysterious voice from PS Move heroes that tried to kill Jak & Daxter although that could be non-canon. There is a lot of unanswered questions from Jak 3 that could be answered in Jak 4 if it's ever made.
PS All-Stars Battle Royale Mains: Sly,Jak,Ratchet,PaRappa,Kat,Good Cole,Raiden.
Kingdom Hearts FTW!
Moveset ideas:Ty the Tasmanian Tiger-http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Ty-the-Tasmanian-Tiger-moveset/m-p/39916477
Sora-http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Sora-Kingdom-Hearts-moveset/m-p/39923329
Crash Bandicoot-http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Crash-Bandicoot-moveset/m-p/40043417
Spyro-http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Spyro-The-Dragon-Moveset/m-p/42628521

Message 6 of 13 (501 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Feb 23, 2014

I'd have to agree that the universe isn't big enough for a sequel, which is why I think they should do something completely new. 

Everyone is saying that the game should be about Mar or the Precursors, but honestly they should just make up a whole bunch of random stuff and put it in the universe. Have it so that in the start of the game, Jak is in some completely new city about to see the guy in charge and then BAM! Bad guy breaks in, stealing some artifact. Jak then goes after him and then a whole bunch of crazy stuff happens for the next 15 hours of gameplay. ND is big on character development, which is why I think they should just have the main characters (Apart from Jak/Daxter) to be cameos and introduce new characters. So essentially it should be a reboot. Naughty Dog can make a new Jak game, but they have to ignore a lot of the lore/characters from the previous game in order to create something worth playing. On a side note, I think that they should have an event at the start of the game where it causes Jak to become upset or have anxiety or 'I'm through with saving the world' in order to have some good character development. Also, they should make Daxter temorarily turn back into a human so we can see what he looks like grown up. Honestly I think ND should just hand off the franchise to another Sony dev, ND is too good for Jak now (unless they can make something truly groundbreaking out of a new Jak, but I'd have to see it to believe it). As long as I get a good JAk game on ps4 in the next few years I'll be happy. Naughty Dog doesn't have to make it for it to be good (although it would be nice if they had some inpput into it).

Message 7 of 13 (476 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7051 posts

Feb 26, 2014

Daratax wrote:

I'd have to agree that the universe isn't big enough for a sequel, which is why I think they should do something completely new. 

Everyone is saying that the game should be about Mar or the Precursors, but honestly they should just make up a whole bunch of random stuff and put it in the universe. Have it so that in the start of the game, Jak is in some completely new city about to see the guy in charge and then BAM!

ND is big on character development, which is why I think they should just have the main characters (Apart from Jak/Daxter) to be cameos and introduce new characters. So essentially it should be a reboot. Naughty Dog can make a new Jak game, but they have to ignore a lot of the lore/characters from the previous game in order to create something worth playing.

Also, they should make Daxter temorarily turn back into a human so we can see what he looks like grown up. Honestly I think ND should just hand off the franchise to another Sony dev, ND is too good for Jak now (unless they can make something truly groundbreaking out of a new Jak, but I'd have to see it to believe it). As long as I get a good JAk game on ps4 in the next few years I'll be happy. Naughty Dog doesn't have to make it for it to be good (although it would be nice if they had some inpput into it).

Ok first off how does this logic make any sense when sequels can show off other parts of the world? Perfect example of this is Jak 3 itself. Jak starts off in a place outside the Haven City area. This logic is just very bad, sorry. A sequel can easily introduce new places in the world with purpose.

If the game is a direct sequel than yes Mar needs to be at least mentioned. You can't ignore important parts of a franchise in a sequel. The Precursors are the Gods of his Universe (supposedely) and they are main characters themselves, so they need to be in the next game, but does th enext game need to be about them? No. Also that's bad development for Jak to just randomly end up in the city with no explanation. They wouldn't do that unless the game was rebooted.

Yes ND are, but Jak & Daxter need to stay. They are the face of the franchise. It's almost impossible to replace them at this point as they are the staples of the franchise and I highly doubt they'd disrespect the original founders like that. I can ensure you Jak and Daxter are staying as the main characters for life.

First line, horrible idea and purpose. Would never happen for that reason. ND can make something groundbreaking out of the next game. They think they need the game to be realistic do to so, which I don't blame them at all because it makes perfect sense, but I don't encourage the change. Jak is too late in the franchise for a drastic change like this. ND are truly in a very tough spot right now.

Only time will tell.
Message 8 of 13 (447 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Feb 26, 2014

I just reread what I wrote and realised how stupid most of that was, sorry Smiley Happy. The point I was trying to make was that when ND tried to do the reboot, they couldn't do it.

This is mainly because  the lore and characters had already been developed so it was hard for them to make a game that was designed for fans, but also accessable for new ones. . If they make a sequel to the original trilogy, most of the new fans will be confused as the don't understand the background (which is why I said they should make new stuff).

But of course, it wouldn't be a Jak game at all if they didn't mention the precursors, as it is a main part of the story. I just worry that if tthe main plot is ALL about Mar and the Precursors, (cool name for a band lol) it might feel like a fan service. But of course it is ND, so I'm sure they could create game that doesn't feel like fan service (or fan fiction). .

I'd just like to point out that I think you misread what I said about Jak and Daxter not being in the game. They should DEFINITELY be in the new game, but the other characters need to be cameos. In Jak 3, most of them were just there for the sake of being there. Although if ND can come up with proper roles for them then I'd be happy for them to be apart of the story, In fact I want them to be apart of the story, just not there for the sake of being there.

As for Haven City, i'm a bit sick of it, but if they made Haven City on the PS4, it would be designed differently with heaps of new stuff, so it wouldn't be all that bad. I'd  still like there to be more than Haven and Spargus in a sequel.

So to finish off, I was wrong about ditching everything from the previous games. I want the potential sequel to based on the lore of the previous games, but new fans might be confused by it (which might lead to bad reviews and sales). As you said, ND are in a tough spot right now, as they need to create a game that can appeal to long time fans and new ones. I just hope they can. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 13 (441 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7051 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 26, 2014

Daratax wrote:

I just reread what I wrote and realised how stupid most of that was, sorry Smiley Happy. The point I was trying to make was that when ND tried to do the reboot, they couldn't do it.

This is mainly because  the lore and characters had already been developed so it was hard for them to make a game that was designed for fans, but also accessable for new ones. . If they make a sequel to the original trilogy, most of the new fans will be confused as the don't understand the background (which is why I said they should make new stuff).

But of course, it wouldn't be a Jak game at all if they didn't mention the precursors, as it is a main part of the story. I just worry that if tthe main plot is ALL about Mar and the Precursors, (cool name for a band lol) it might feel like a fan service. But of course it is ND, so I'm sure they could create game that doesn't feel like fan service (or fan fiction). .

I'd just like to point out that I think you misread what I said about Jak and Daxter not being in the game. They should DEFINITELY be in the new game, but the other characters need to be cameos. In Jak 3, most of them were just there for the sake of being there. Although if ND can come up with proper roles for them then I'd be happy for them to be apart of the story, In fact I want them to be apart of the story, just not there for the sake of being there.

As for Haven City, i'm a bit sick of it, but if they made Haven City on the PS4, it would be designed differently with heaps of new stuff, so it wouldn't be all that bad. I'd  still like there to be more than Haven and Spargus in a sequel.

So to finish off, I was wrong about ditching everything from the previous games. I want the potential sequel to based on the lore of the previous games, but new fans might be confused by it (which might lead to bad reviews and sales). As you said, ND are in a tough spot right now, as they need to create a game that can appeal to long time fans and new ones. I just hope they can. Smiley Happy

Ok then Smiley Happy

Most of the main reason is actually because it was going away from what Jak & Daxter is known for. That little part about the fans and new player is correct though. TBH, if new players are introduced to the sequel and are confused then that's their fault. It's never the devs job to recap solely for newer players. That's what the trilogy is for. Not only do most devs do it like this in sequels, but a sequel would actually make certain ppl go back to play the originals. It's a proven fact that this works.. at least.. a steady 50% of the time. However, to bring up Dead Space 2 right fast... the devs did a recap cutscene from the 1st game in DS2. But ND are not entitled to do any sort of recap is my point.

I doubt even a hypothetical plot would be alla bout Mar and the Precursors event hough that's enough for a good story right there. Mar alone wouldn't be a good enough story because it's one subject. As an example.. in Jak II, Jak had to deal with Baron Praxis, slightly Erol, Krew, Metal Head Leader and the Mar slightly (from a history point of view), The Jak II story was all about those aspects. I left out KG robots because they weren't as important. Jak 3 had it's thing going to with multiple things. So even if the plot was solely about the Mar ad/or the Prescursors they can still add side story events to make it into a full game like they did with Jak II and Jak 3. Also was Uncharted 1 not only about Sir Franchis Drake and the golden tomb thing?

Yeah I did misread that. The other pointless characters need to be cameos yes, such as Kleiver (if he returns).

Haven City is Jak's birthplace, don't forget that. They can't just get rid of it that easily. The city resides a lot of importance and history as was stated in PSMH.

Yeah xD. Nah a sequel would be fine. As long as ND references things from the past, which is something they do in all their games including Jak's games itself & TLF, his next game will be fine. A few flashbacks and references and ND/the next game.. would be fine.

Only time will tell.
Message 10 of 13 (433 Views)
0 Likes