Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Mar 20 2013
By: Ironfistveteran Monster Hunter 30 posts
Offline

Why I was very dissapointed with this game

7 replies 7762 views Edited Mar 20, 2013

For quite awhile now, I've enjoyed "artsy" stylish games that give you a story in a unique way while still being a fun game. Games such as Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Machinarium, Papo and Yo for example all seem to do that well. Journey however fails to impress me on any level and I will explain why.

 

One can argue that this isn't even really a game but rather an experience since there's nothing in this that really constitutes it as a game since you never die, nor is there any puzzles or danger or anything. You basically just move forward. So how does it fair as an experience? The story is told in little mosiac things that you have to interpret but IMO I didn't really find it all that engaging.  What bothered me the most about this game is how people who enjoyed it constantly go on about how emotional you got when playing this. Honestly I felt very little connection to anything in this game when I reached the final conclusion, and I'm the type of person who cried at the end of a game like Ico because that game actually DID have me connect to the characters and story. Prolly the only thing I thought was pretty neat was how you could meet a multiplayer partner randomly to buddy up with on your journey to the final place, but even that  wasn't all that well executed to be honest. And maybe it's just my opinion again but something about this game just comes off as rather pretentious, and it doesn't help that the company that made this is called "that game company".

 

Again this was an experience/game that seemed very lacking in what it wanted to accomplish and I didn't find it all that enjoyable like so many others have. What bothers me more is the fact that alot of "fanboys" of this game seem to get annoyed by ANY criticism of this game and would even claim that you're the type who enjoys Call of duty or Halo or w/e. I enjoy any game or experience that breaks norms and is still engaging, I just did not like Journey very much.

Message 1 of 8 (7,762 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 04/26/2007
Online
11170 posts
 

Re: Why I was very dissapointed with this game

Mar 21, 2013

Not everyone can be expected to like everything the same way as everyone else. While the masses of the gaming world have come to bow their heads to Journey repeatedly, you go against that particular grain. Traveling across the mystical lands of Journey has not the same perils as has been constantly found in Ico. Still, when playing Ico and Journey, I didn't compare the two games on the same wavelength. When playing Journey, I played Journey. When playing Ico, I played Ico. The stronger comparison on my mind when traversing Journey was that of Flower, thatgamecompany's previous offering. Flower remains my favorite game by the developer to date, for it actually covered lots of ground in little time. Don't get me wrong, as I felt Journey to be sufficient. It's just that I've seen a greater game in Flower, and it's hard to get over that.


Message 2 of 8 (7,757 Views)
Reply
Monster Hunter
Registered: 12/17/2008
Offline
30 posts
 

Re: Why I was very dissapointed with this game

Mar 23, 2013

Never played Flower so I can't judge. I'm definitely not bashing anyone who likes that game or Journey, I just personally don't see what they saw in it. I feel like they could have done way more with the idea of Journey and I feel like people treat it like it's so flawless due to the fact that we don't see too many video games like that one.

Message 3 of 8 (7,736 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 03/10/2012
Offline
856 posts
 

Re: Why I was very dissapointed with this game

Mar 24, 2013

Ironfistveteran wrote:

For quite awhile now, I've enjoyed "artsy" stylish games that give you a story in a unique way while still being a fun game. Games such as Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Machinarium, Papo and Yo for example all seem to do that well. Journey however fails to impress me on any level and I will explain why.

 

One can argue that this isn't even really a game but rather an experience since there's nothing in this that really constitutes it as a game since you never die, nor is there any puzzles or danger or anything. You basically just move forward. So how does it fair as an experience? The story is told in little mosiac things that you have to interpret but IMO I didn't really find it all that engaging.  What bothered me the most about this game is how people who enjoyed it constantly go on about how emotional you got when playing this. Honestly I felt very little connection to anything in this game when I reached the final conclusion, and I'm the type of person who cried at the end of a game like Ico because that game actually DID have me connect to the characters and story. Prolly the only thing I thought was pretty neat was how you could meet a multiplayer partner randomly to buddy up with on your journey to the final place, but even that  wasn't all that well executed to be honest. And maybe it's just my opinion again but something about this game just comes off as rather pretentious, and it doesn't help that the company that made this is called "that game company".

 

Again this was an experience/game that seemed very lacking in what it wanted to accomplish and I didn't find it all that enjoyable like so many others have. What bothers me more is the fact that alot of "fanboys" of this game seem to get annoyed by ANY criticism of this game and would even claim that you're the type who enjoys Call of duty or Halo or w/e. I enjoy any game or experience that breaks norms and is still engaging, I just did not like Journey very much.


Seems like you're the type that plays Call of Duty, I guess. You know, for the story.

 

Well, everyone has their own opinion about these kind of things. We all can't be emotionless husks like you, and the reasosn the majority of people who play it enjoy it(myself included)  is because traveling with the other person, who you don't even know can be a journey filled with happiness, anxiety, sadness, and other emotions. You rely on each other. I've guided many inexperienced players to hidden scarf glyphs, to both of the hidden objects for the other two TGC trophies,  to the mosaics painted on the walls, and past the stone serpents, much as players before me did to me. The closest thing I can compare Journey to is a way of life being passed down through generations, to be shared be those who know it, and to be perpetuated by those are taught it, to repeat itself endlessly.

 

In short, Journey defines "community". And there really isn't any other game I've ever played that's been like that.

 

 

"Not many people believe in divine retribution. That's because this world's a lazy fellow. However, once in a blue moon, he does a good job." -Kirishima Yukihime

"UUUNIVERSEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" - Kashiwazaki Sena
Message 4 of 8 (7,727 Views)
Reply
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/21/2007
Online
49161 posts
 

Re: Why I was very dissapointed with this game

Apr 2, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Not everyone can be expected to like everything the same way as everyone else. While the masses of the gaming world have come to bow their heads to Journey repeatedly, you go against that particular grain. Traveling across the mystical lands of Journey has not the same perils as has been constantly found in Ico. Still, when playing Ico and Journey, I didn't compare the two games on the same wavelength. When playing Journey, I played Journey. When playing Ico, I played Ico. The stronger comparison on my mind when traversing Journey was that of Flower, thatgamecompany's previous offering. Flower remains my favorite game by the developer to date, for it actually covered lots of ground in little time. Don't get me wrong, as I felt Journey to be sufficient. It's just that I've seen a greater game in Flower, and it's hard to get over that.


I actually got more gameplay and enjoyment from flower.  I loved that game and your post inspired me to tell you :smileytongue:

Journey did give me a sense of wonder, while playing, that flower didn't though.   

 

 

Message 5 of 8 (7,004 Views)
Reply
Monster Hunter
Registered: 12/17/2008
Offline
30 posts
 

Re: Why I was very dissapointed with this game

Apr 3, 2013

InTheBushes321 wrote:

Ironfistveteran wrote:

For quite awhile now, I've enjoyed "artsy" stylish games that give you a story in a unique way while still being a fun game. Games such as Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Machinarium, Papo and Yo for example all seem to do that well. Journey however fails to impress me on any level and I will explain why.

 

One can argue that this isn't even really a game but rather an experience since there's nothing in this that really constitutes it as a game since you never die, nor is there any puzzles or danger or anything. You basically just move forward. So how does it fair as an experience? The story is told in little mosiac things that you have to interpret but IMO I didn't really find it all that engaging.  What bothered me the most about this game is how people who enjoyed it constantly go on about how emotional you got when playing this. Honestly I felt very little connection to anything in this game when I reached the final conclusion, and I'm the type of person who cried at the end of a game like Ico because that game actually DID have me connect to the characters and story. Prolly the only thing I thought was pretty neat was how you could meet a multiplayer partner randomly to buddy up with on your journey to the final place, but even that  wasn't all that well executed to be honest. And maybe it's just my opinion again but something about this game just comes off as rather pretentious, and it doesn't help that the company that made this is called "that game company".

 

Again this was an experience/game that seemed very lacking in what it wanted to accomplish and I didn't find it all that enjoyable like so many others have. What bothers me more is the fact that alot of "fanboys" of this game seem to get annoyed by ANY criticism of this game and would even claim that you're the type who enjoys Call of duty or Halo or w/e. I enjoy any game or experience that breaks norms and is still engaging, I just did not like Journey very much.


Seems like you're the type that plays Call of Duty, I guess. You know, for the story.

 

Well, everyone has their own opinion about these kind of things. We all can't be emotionless husks like you, and the reasosn the majority of people who play it enjoy it(myself included)  is because traveling with the other person, who you don't even know can be a journey filled with happiness, anxiety, sadness, and other emotions. You rely on each other. I've guided many inexperienced players to hidden scarf glyphs, to both of the hidden objects for the other two TGC trophies,  to the mosaics painted on the walls, and past the stone serpents, much as players before me did to me. The closest thing I can compare Journey to is a way of life being passed down through generations, to be shared be those who know it, and to be perpetuated by those are taught it, to repeat itself endlessly.

 

In short, Journey defines "community". And there really isn't any other game I've ever played that's been like that.

 

 


Did you even read what I posted? I even made a small list of games I've played that were obscure and I clearly said a game like Ico has made me cry. I am far from what you'd call an emotionless husk, I just didn't get very much of an emotional response out of Journey specifically.  On another note I've only played a few minutes of Modern Warfare 2....I'm not a fan of the Call of Duty series. If you love Journey...more power to you, but don't be insulting.  I also stated that the multiplayer aspect of it is prolly the one thing I liked more than anything else, I just wish it could have been incorporated better. There's so sense of danger or much of a  puzzle except for activating a few carpet things to make a bridge to really say you do anything with your unknown travel companion.

Message 6 of 8 (6,993 Views)
Reply
First Son
Registered: 11/29/2013
Offline
1 posts
 

Re: Why I was very dissapointed with this game

Nov 29, 2013

very cool response.  I find myself going back to play Journey again and again because my own responses to the game change into a higher experience as I look for more things in the game than just "getting to the end"....

Message 7 of 8 (6,641 Views)
Reply
Fender Bender
Registered: 08/06/2005
Offline
3694 posts
 

Re: Why I was very dissapointed with this game

Dec 5, 2013

I found the game to be at it's best when you find another player that sticks it out with you until the end.  There is nothing I have seen in gaming that was more endearing than watching the first time I walked down that final corridor with another player.  The experience of that moment was immeasurable and one I hope ThatGameCompany can recreate in other games.

Message 8 of 8 (6,629 Views)
Reply