Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Limit Breaker
28040 posts

Re: Why This Game Isn't As Popular As It Should Be

Apr 24, 2010

Since everyone is in a blaming mood, I blame folks for not accepting something different.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Get your Portable ID! | Killer Bees on the Swarm
Message 11 of 54 (7 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6086 posts

Apr 24, 2010

i loved kz2 for what is it! But i do agree it needs a lot more added to it.  More weaps etc. If theyw ere to combine what we have in kz1 with liberation and kz2..then i think that would be a starting point to get gamers to play more. They could add wave weapon unlock after the first 15 weapons are unlock etc theres another wave to unlock..and i agree people do like the "Awesome kill, or Mass ownage" text that appears, it makes them feel badass.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Message 12 of 54 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2051 posts

Apr 24, 2010

It still comes down to the controls.  I play BC2 a lot now, and since I love KZ2 I'm always asking my BC2 clan-mates "Hey, anyone want to play some KZ2?"  And they're all like "Noo".  The reason they always give is simple... the controls flat out suck.  They want smooth, responsive controls... when they see an enemy, they want to snap L1-Aim and blast that guy to smitherines quickly.  Not wait 1/2 a second for the aim to come up, then when it does, it zooms in way too far and takes too long to make adjustments.

Message 13 of 54 (7 Views)
Last Guardian
11018 posts

Apr 24, 2010

The reason why I didn't like BFBC2 is because I don't like the skating controls .. and that alone is enough to completely ruin the game for me.

So I do understand how controls can severely influence the amount of fun someone has in a video game and I won't deny that the controls were a major factor in the KZ2's kick-off weeks.

I'm sure GG is going to tweak the controls even more to sort of play to both sides of the coin for KZ3.

Message 14 of 54 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

Apr 24, 2010

I understand your points about the controls and I heard that the demo and initial gameplay wasn’t well received. I didn’t get the game until June after it had all been resolved so I don’t know how bad it was. But it seems Sony/ GG really dropped the ball there and I’m not sure if it was that big an issue why it wasn’t picked up in the Beta? Shame on you whoever was in it :smileytongue: It’s a pity because there are many people who won’t give a series a second chance. I sure know that for games I’ve played and instantly disliked i’ll not even bother trying out the sequels.

But weren't there hundreds of thousands playing around release? Where did they all go? Last night there were 800 online. In comparison, at any one time there are tens of thousands playing COD WAW and many hundreds of thousands playing MW2. I’m not criticising, it’s just the way it is. 800 is really low for a ’Halo Killer’-system seller that is only a year old.

For me it’s also about progression. The Killzone franchise with all the hype and effort gone into the actual game, it should be a lot bigger by now. My main feeling is that the game should be exploited a lot more than it has been. Quicker release between titles, more DLC, just more support. I recognise that Killzone is a quality product but they really should be ripping us off and announced a Killzone 2.1 by now. That’s what Halo and COD do but GG want to take a holiday between every game. Halo ODST was basically just an expansion pack for Halo 3 I heard, but people will buy it and have fun with it. Not every sequel has to jump into a new generation of gaming.

I was mainly focusing on given the actual gameplay, classes, set-up, hit detection.. yada yada yada.. the whole thing wasn’t packaged and managed very well. I read a good quote on the second article I linked to: "Sony get off your behinds and go the extra mile for your flagship titles. They deserve it." Pretty much says it all. If they are going to release one title every 3+ years then it needs to be bang on. No excuses.

Message 15 of 54 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1844 posts

Apr 25, 2010

To me....people refusing to adjust or adapt to the controls early in the games launch was what I remember causing the uproar. I applaud GG for making the game different and incorporating a learning curve...no one really wants a COOKIE CUTTER GAME.  Initially even I was frustrated, but the quality of the game was to great to walk away from...so I kept at it and found my way. It soon became the most played FPS in my collection.

The DLC came and the game became even more addictive and although not perfect...the clan battles and tournaments were awesome. I really thought it would be hard to even consider playing a different game. I've since acheived CIC and continue to play....I thought GG had a tremendous opportunity in November or even the holiday season last year to capture some new players and even bring back some of the launch day players if they would have released "something" new for the game. IMO...MW2 DID NOT live up to its hype and Killzone 2 could have made a tremendous number of sales during that time period with a RE-LAUNCH of the game and some FRESH DLC.

At the end of the day...KZ3 will be HUGE HIT.....IF.....they do NOT compromise or give in to the pressure of major control changes. IMO ...the game is sooooo very close to being exceptional the way it currently is. To keep players at in front of their TV's gaming is simple...take a small page out of the COD playbook and add in countless unlockables....numerous weapon choices...titles and emblems ( let's face it ..everyone has an ego and wants to be noticed )....and the prestige mode is satisfying for many.

KZ3 should continue to be a graphical masterpiece with its current control scheme in place.....just give the players some additional incentive  once they have leveled up to stick around.  I play MW2...the game is AVERAGE at best.....but mastering the weapons, unlocking the titles and emblems and prestiging is quite fun.....THAT IS WHAT TODAYS GAMERS WANT....a continual sense of accomplishment , continually being rewarded for their efforts and time...and a sense of satisfaction each time they have mastered another portion of the game.

Photobucket.RATT CLAN....... KZ2 CIC......... KZ_VIP
Message 16 of 54 (7 Views)
First Son
32 posts

Apr 25, 2010

If they would take a note from Halo: Reach, and let out a Killzone 3 beta, only accessible by people who own Killzone 2, then more people would start playing the game again, sales for KZ2 and 3 would go up, and KZ3 would be acknowledged and popular.

Message 17 of 54 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
293 posts

Apr 27, 2010

Well said Mickey... I agree with everything.  I didn't read everyones posts but enough to get a general idea of how people feel. One of the thing I noticed with all the responses shows that everyone has different tastes in games. Be it graphics, control, unlocks. Not everyone is going to be happy with the product no matter what it is.

In my opinion:  This is one of the greatest games ever made for online play. I bought the game in August so I missed many of the early problems some of you mentioned. The game is extremely well balanced, I wouldn't change the controls for anything, and the game is visually stunning. I played through Feb. of this year and after 6 months and 600+ hrs I was done. I moved on to BF BC2 and love it. It just shows that you can adapt to different games and enjoy them regardless of control and other issues you may have. The only thing I would have liked to have for KZ2 is more unlocks and DLC. Not like MW2 huge amount of unlocks and ranking but something more than what it had.

The most important thing that was touched on is support from dev and pub. From August 09 to February 10 I saw little to no support. Everyone was complaining on a daily basis on all the forums and it all fell on deaf ears. If we are going to support the product then they need to support the customer.

Message 18 of 54 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7641 posts

Apr 27, 2010

ClinToN wrote:

Since everyone is in a blaming mood, I blame folks for not accepting something different.

This. I think that if people would have just slowed down and took the time to get used to the game it would have been more popular.

Sig by nuno
Message 19 of 54 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1889 posts

Apr 28, 2010

First of all: Shout out to Cope3! Good to "see" you again.

Second: I haven't read every response here, but I honestly I love KZ2's controls. The weight/bulkiness of the gear, the more real-ish feeling of jumping and running, and the overall feeling of "this guy is wearing armor out the booty" made the game feel better to me than any other arcade-style shooter.

A lot of players have that "CoD is faster and smoother" mentality, but really, I don't care for the "I can turn around in .25 seconds and shoot twelve people" style of play. 

Message 20 of 54 (7 Views)