Sackboy
576 posts

Re: Killzone 3 co-developed by Naughty Dog

May 22, 2010

It's not being co-developed they're just sharing tech and ideas theres a difference.

Message 11 of 26 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
28040 posts

May 23, 2010

Seventy_X_Seven wrote:

Didn't see anyone talking about this, so what do you think? The say they're working on the graphics engine, but perhaps Naughty Dog may have influence in other aspects of the game, particularly the thematic and story elements that Naughty Dog is simply a master of. Who knows, but with two of the best Sony First Party Developers working together, this game is going to be something really special.

There's probably not much to it so there's not much to discuss. UC2 mentions Guerrilla also but it was probably not much more than a little troubleshooting here and there.

I expect it to be the same here.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Get your Portable ID! | Killer Bees on the Swarm
Message 12 of 26 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3132 posts

May 23, 2010

The articles I've read said co-develop, but I'm betting all they're doing is making the graphics engine even better than before. I doubt ND will have any hand in KZ3 other than the graphics. Reading the article from Gamepro, it seems like the KZ creator knows exactly where he wants to take the next installment.

BUT, also in the article the creator of Killzone says there's a part in the snow level where you use the jetpacks to boost from glacier to glacier across a large freezing sea. He decribed it as saying it'll feeling like you are playing a platformer like Uncharted, though KZ3 is still a intense action shooter at heart. Since he said that though, I'm thinking there's a chance that ND might have some decent influence.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/zpeabody/twistedmetal.png

Message 13 of 26 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
28040 posts

May 23, 2010

Seventy_X_Seven wrote:

The articles I've read said co-develop, but I'm betting all they're doing is making the graphics engine even better than before. I doubt ND will have any hand in KZ3 other than the graphics. Reading the article from Gamepro, it seems like the KZ creator knows exactly where he wants to take the next installment.

BUT, also in the article the creator of Killzone says there's a part in the snow level where you use the jetpacks to boost from glacier to glacier across a large freezing sea. He decribed it as saying it'll feeling like you are playing a platformer like Uncharted, though KZ3 is still a intense action shooter at heart. Since he said that though, I'm thinking there's a chance that ND might have some decent influence.

About the jetpacks, Guerrilla did it already with Killzone Liberation.

Get your Portable ID! | Killer Bees on the Swarm
Message 14 of 26 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5298 posts

May 23, 2010

It’s has been stated multiple times by and about Sony Computer Entertainment first-party developers are and have been coming together and sharing technology and ideas more and more every day. Since there all part of one big studio of video game developers owned by SCE it would be foolish to think they wouldn’t together at times to assist another studio with a given title in order to create a better product for the consumer. If you have studio that has created a video game that has won countless amounts of awards for such things as Game of the Year, Story Line, and Graphics and so on, you as company and fellow studio would only encourage and welcome such productive interaction between all your studios.

I can’t believe Naughty Dog walked in and told Guerrilla Game “This is how your story is going to go with your next game” or” you have to do KZ3 like we did this in Uncharted 2”.  I can see them saying “this the way we approached are story line to give you some ideas” or “we approached a problem this way to solve this issues ….”

After all the experiences of how SCE 1st and 3rd party studios interact with each other to me personal it more about sharing the idea how to do things or approach a problem and the ideas behind the technology then actually doing portion of the game. I do have to add that if SCE wanted too, they could allow other Studios in SCE to use a given technology from another studio if they wished to do so but we yet to really see that happen in a impactful manner. It’s not like we’ve seen the Uncharted Game engine on God of War III. Lol  

When someone states Killzone 3 is being co-developed by Naughty Dog I think that is just a bit too much of a stretch of their involvement on the project.

Message 15 of 26 (40 Views)
Fender Bender
4536 posts

May 23, 2010

shystie1 wrote:

It’s has been stated multiple times by and about Sony Computer Entertainment first-party developers are and have been coming together and sharing technology and ideas more and more every day. Since there all part of one big studio of video game developers owned by SCE it would be foolish to think they wouldn’t together at times to assist another studio with a given title in order to create a better product for the consumer. If you have studio that has created a video game that has won countless amounts of awards for such things as Game of the Year, Story Line, and Graphics and so on, you as company and fellow studio would only encourage and welcome such productive interaction between all your studios.

I can’t believe Naughty Dog walked in and told Guerrilla Game “This is how your story is going to go with your next game” or” you have to do KZ3 like we did this in Uncharted 2”.  I can see them saying “this the way we approached are story line to give you some ideas” or “we approached a problem this way to solve this issues ….”

After all the experiences of how SCE 1st and 3rd party studios interact with each other to me personal it more about sharing the idea how to do things or approach a problem and the ideas behind the technology then actually doing portion of the game. I do have to add that if SCE wanted too, they could allow other Studios in SCE to use a given technology from another studio if they wished to do so but we yet to really see that happen in a impactful manner. It’s not like we’ve seen the Uncharted Game engine on God of War III. Lol  

When someone states Killzone 3 is being co-developed by Naughty Dog I think that is just a bit too much of a stretch of their involvement on the project.

Although I understand what you are saying. I have to disagree.

Naughty Dog never "walked" into Guerilla Games studios and told them that this should be in the story and this should not and kill rico and bring back this guy,etc,etc. They are both Friendly Company's that are trying to help out one another by sharing some Tech and skills than 1 group might have that another doesn't.

For Example Uncharted 2 is one of the 1st games (if not the 1st) game that has the background moving around while you are playing on the moving background. For example in Killzone 2 they had the train, were you fight on and you can jump from platform to platform fighting on a moving train! It's Brillaint!.

Now Naughty Dog could be helping GG with how to improve that in ways we don't even know yet. They could also be helping them with audio,visual,etc.

Message 16 of 26 (40 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

May 23, 2010

halowars7 wrote:

shystie1 wrote:

Naughty Dog never "walked" into Guerilla Games studios and told them that this should be in the story and this should not and kill rico and bring back this guy,etc,etc. They are both Friendly Company's that are trying to help out one another by sharing some Tech and skills than 1 group might have that another doesn't.

For Example Uncharted 2 is one of the 1st games (if not the 1st) game that has the background moving around while you are playing on the moving background. For example in Killzone 2 they had the train, were you fight on and you can jump from platform to platform fighting on a moving train! It's Brillaint!.

Now Naughty Dog could be helping GG with how to improve that in ways we don't even know yet. They could also be helping them with audio,visual,etc.

Good reply, except you got one small detail wrong. Uncharted 2 is the first game to have the actual train moving, not the background. In previous games, train levels have the train stationary while the background zooms past the train, which explains why previous train levels were always straight tracks (for example, the trains in KZ2 and Gears). Uncharted 2 has the background as the stationary object and the train as the moving object, which is why the train in UC2 can turn and curve and go up and down.

Photobucket

Message 17 of 26 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4536 posts

May 23, 2010

dnlkk94 wrote:

halowars7 wrote:

shystie1 wrote:

Good reply, except you got one small detail wrong. Uncharted 2 is the first game to have the actual train moving, not the background. In previous games, train levels have the train stationary while the background zooms past the train, which explains why previous train levels were always straight tracks (for example, the trains in KZ2 and Gears). Uncharted 2 has the background as the stationary object and the train as the moving object, which is why the train in UC2 can turn and curve and go up and down.

Exactly! So this is what I think Naughty Dog Is doing to help Guerilla Games, along with many other smaller features that we haven't "experienced" yet

Message 18 of 26 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
892 posts

May 24, 2010
Naughty Dog's helping? Great, that means spawning in KZ3's online is going to suck ass Smiley Tongue lol
Message 19 of 26 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2459 posts

May 24, 2010

aka_TRAP wrote:
Naughty Dog's helping? Great, that means spawning in KZ3's online is going to suck ass Smiley Tongue lol

Naughty Dog is helping in singleplayer not multiplayer.

BF3 Stats

Message 20 of 26 (40 Views)
0 Likes