http://www.twitter.com/DunhamSmash
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 30 (414 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1882 posts

Re: MAG on Facebook

Dec 8, 2009
Hey Jeremy, what you been up to without the beta going on? I decided to check out the Facebook thing. I left a remark on the Raven side, I`ll be following it as well to keep up with anything new. Take care and tell ~msp I said Hi ( please ).
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 30 (414 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Dec 9, 2009

After all, with our game being as socially-driven as it is, it makes perfect sense for us to extend its reach into the world’s most popular social networking site, Facebook, and that’s exactly what we’ve done.

Dear Jeremy. Listen. When did Facebook fans start to play war-games? Or are you now trying to make the game appeal more to face-book users?

It doesn't make sense at all. It makes as little sense as restructuring the entire game directly in the face of design and good advice, because dittoheads at GAF demand something out of thin air.

I mean, why are you even attempting this? Killzone 2 did exactly the same. It did everything the "fans" wanted. It did everything the insiders insisted was necessary, even though a huge amount of people - that is, actual players - hated it. Because it was "necessary" in order to get good press at IGN and n4g, and therefore good sales. The VIPs and IMPs told us so.

Nevertheless, /never the less/, it sold badly. And, completely without connection, it didn't play well either. And of course - almost a year later - the actual bugs and problems with the game - that really does put everyone who actually play it off the game sooner or later - has still not been fixed. Again, completely unrelated to the sales or the dwindling amount of people online - even when the platinum edition comes out. And then, obviously, the **bleep**ing around budget was spent.

Is this the same thing we're going to get with MAG as well? We're going to list bugs and issues again and again - but be ignored because we're not your Facebook pals? Are we going to get bunny-hopping, stamina bugs and aiming glitches because we're not chatting with you daily on twitter? Or drop some high-strung praise your way at GAF?

Time to actually start being community-manager, instead of just sifting out the positive PR, Dunham.

..oh, wait. Now I'm trying to make people not lose their job by working for free again. Excuse me while I go and play Katamari. You and MAG can go blow.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 30 (414 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7801 posts

Dec 9, 2009

can 700,000+ fans be wrong?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 30 (414 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Dec 9, 2009
Then go work in "The SUN".

I'm asking what the link is between facebook feedback, and actually fixing the outstanding issues with the game. I'm asking whether you are going to create a game and sell it, or try to bland it down so it is /supposed/ to sell to "everyone" and "mainstream" fps-fans. Just chew on that for a bit: "mainstream fps-fans".
Message Edited by fleinn on 12-09-2009 10:07 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 30 (414 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Dec 9, 2009
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 30 (414 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Dec 9, 2009
ok i'll put some input down if thats what you want,MAG is absolutely great i love it there's nothing that can compare to a match of domination. in comparison call of duty sucks its an arcade shooter and thats where this idiot above me comes from,he wants to have to unload a clip and a half of ammo into a guy lagging everywhere then watch the kill cam and the guy be across the map with a pistol shooting him. i personally boycotted call of duty medieval latency 2 i mean look at it not 2 hours after its release there was 10 updates fixing bugs.....beyond that, its guys like these that are mad because they can't use their brand new lag switch or don't have the skill to play a real game where comparing stats and leaderboard positions are gone and you are ranked based on actually how good you play. thats what i loved most so if anyone reading this wants another call of duty knock-off this isn't for you,this is for truly skillful players and teamwork is involved to win YOU ARE NO ONE MAN ARMY
Brace yourselves ban hammers are swinging...
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 30 (414 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1690 posts

Dec 9, 2009

Fleinn~

When were Facebook users not playing war games? The Facebook audience is huge, so why wouldn't we want to expose that group to our game? Especially when you consider how many gamers are actually on there and continue to join all the time. It's about opening up the game world and the universe to whomever wants to see it, whenever. Why wouldn't anybody with a community-based product not want to use that option?

I'm trying to understand the correlation between having Facebook pages and fixing "problems" with the game, because I don't see it. We have folks who program, design, and quality test MAG who do what they need to do, and then you have guys like me who act as a gateway between developer and fan; I funnel feedback from you guys back to the development team and vice versa -- but I don't just point out development initiatives, I'll talk about anything even remotely related to MAG if I think the community as a whole will find it interesting or useful (like this).

Likewise, we take gameplay-related feedback very seriously, and definitely want to give our audience the best possible product. This is why we had a beta (and extended it), why we organized "Play with Zipper" events multiple times, and why we actively called for feedback on the MAG beta forums, with requests like "Bug Hunt, PMC Reward opinions, etc."

I don't know if this answer will satisfy any of your curiosities, but it's the truthful one, so it's what I've got.

Jeremy Dunham
Senior Designer, Zipper Interactive
http://www.twitter.com/DunhamSmash
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 30 (414 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Dec 10, 2009
..well, it's reassuring to hear you don't think there is a connection, I suppose. And that you're treating it as a way to expose the game to a wider audience. If that's the idea, then that makes sense, and I apologise for bursting out like that.

The problem I have is that zipper seems to treat a particular kind of feedback as if it represents the mainstream, giving that preference over feedback that is considered to be more "hard core". But there's no such thing as a mainstream fps-fan. If you already like fps-games (which many don't, for good reason), then you are into it in the same way people are into fighting games. You get used to a particular kind of mechanic, and insist that this is how it's supposed to be done. And many of these fans keep suggesting that the gameplay mechanic is easy to get used to, and defines the genre.

MAG's problem in that way is that it's not really a traditional fps. It blunts fps-skill already, and makes.. made, at least.. it possible to win with a good team even if none of them were particularly good at fps-games. And that instantly made that game interesting for people I know who doesn't play fps-games. Which is 1. a feat. 2. very risky in terms of making something out of the ordinary.

But it's that untraditional part that this game should be marketed on and geared towards. (I've explained why here:
http://forums.mag.com/mag/board/print?board.id=generaldiscussion&message.id=120255&format=one )
But basically, for two reasons - other games does 8 vs 8 combat much better, and with better graphics. So you can't compete with for example MW2. And because you're not going to sell this game well by trying to make it out as if the game is best on traditional fps-action. Where the game shines, and where it has appeal is in the teamplay aspect, and the way that teamplay is integrated into strategy and the larger battles. That's what you need to expose and focus on. I've noticed that already - that people who intensely disliked the game even before they played it - for being MW2 light - actually ended up liking it /because it was different than they expected/.

But all I see throughout the beta is that you've made it more and more into a Call of Duty light, as per request of people who have played every and any fps-game on consoles. With less focus on teamplay, less focus on proper skill-progression, and more about grinding and perks.

And I don't see why you're doing that. Zipper showed us the first version of the beta, with brilliant map-layouts and a fantastic setup that really required good teamwork, talking, and strategy. It's a technical and a design work of art. And the first thing that happens is that this is blunted until you actually can run around soloing the missions. It's a waste. Both because you can't compete with MW2 on team deathmatch, and because it tries to hide what the game evidently was made to attempt.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 30 (414 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
254 posts

Dec 10, 2009
putting MAG on facebook is absolutely brilliant, our clan is loving it , can't wait for Jan 26 :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 30 (414 Views)
0 Likes