Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sackboy
625 posts

Re: Zipline - Episode 28 Preview Thread

Jan 12, 2011

zpr_Roper wrote:

As we mentioned at the end of last year, some changes are coming to Zipline beginning with this week's episode. The most significant change is that we're moving away from the strict Q&A formula and moving more towards a topic-driven roundtable discussion.

This week's topic will be: Existing franchises vs. new franchises. Our special guest will be Zipper President Brian Soderberg.

What we're looking for from you guys is your thoughts on the topic. In this case, do you think it's great that we keep working on SOCOM titles? Were you glad to see us work on something new like MAG? What do you think about the industry's reliance on sequels year after year?

You're free to ask questions, but try to keep them related to the topic.

I have gotten tired of the same game just getting repackaged.  For example, how many ninja gaidens have been "re-made"  OR how about the COD series, modern warfare 1 is not much different than COD black ops in terms of gameplay.  Yea they added a currency system, but its the same exact games, same weapons and same attachements.  Nothing revolutionary.  When games come out with sequel after sequel....I either tend to rent them, or purchase every other sequel as time has proven not much changes between revisons.

Your direction with MAG has been fantastic, it is a completly different game than what started at launch.  I think you still have a lot of work or progress to make on MAG before I feel it has reached its prime.  Adding clan features and the addition of new maps on the existing game modes would be great.  I am still on the fence for neutrality, but I do get tired of defending the same maps.  It was nice to be able to defend and attack the same map on SABO; it just gives a whole new meaning to understanding the dynamics of any given map/location.  When you defend you realize vunerabilities in a map that you didnt realize were there...which is the same with attacking any given map.

In conclusion I feel that sticking with an existing franchise is the way to go...but you don't just start making a new game the second your franchise goes out the door.  You instead support your existing franchise so you don't have to shell out a sequel.  With the support that Zipper has given MAG I will continue to support your games.

Creating a new franchise is also very important...much like MAG is a new franchise its one of those FPS games I continue to play...A YEAR AFTER LAUNCH!!! which is phenomenal in the video game industry.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 37 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
348 posts

Jan 12, 2011
I have never played SOCOM, but I've heard good things about it and after the team work focus I've seen with MAG I

might have to pick up SOCOM.  By creating SOCOM 1, 2, 3, 4. You are creating Brand Awareness.  It's a different look, but same game play and concept.  Consider an author like Steven King, he comes out with a new book every year.  His stories are different, but they all have the same twisted tone and flow to them.

For a MAG sequal, I would definately be interested.  I didn't even consider COD this year becuase of MAG.

For FPS Sequals in general though?  It's a toss up on if it's good or bad.  COD doesn't change much, the maps and guns are re-drawn.  So it's the same "game" but different look.  I have come to accept that as normal, as the end of the road for that games vision.  However MAG has started something different, you havn't been scared to change the game during the version.  It has worked, the bugs are annoying though(Havn't played DOM in forever!).  But in general I belive people understand that you have to make sequals because how many times can you come up with a GOOD new game concept?  If you can't come up with a new game concept, do you just stop making games?   Look at Monopoly, there is now NewYorkopoly, Canadopoly, Vancouveropoly, Redneckopoly, etc. etc.

I also like how games like WOW do not come out with new versions.  They have a good concept and build on it with updates.  I would also be in favor of this type of updating.  I dont' think it would work for MAG unless you could fix the bugs and bring in higher numbers (expand to PC?).  If you kept adding game modes, you would thin out the population and it would take longer to get into games.  Unless you restrict game modes to keep numbers up, but you may loose players because of it if it's not done right.  Perhaps MAG could be the first FPS to have a monthly fee so that we are gauranteed frequent new game modes and maps. 

So I think it's important when deciding to add onto a game or make a new one to look at your current player base and decide what they want.  Do they want more levels, or do they want a new game?  Also you need to consider what the developers feel about the game, do they have more ideas on how to improve the game or create sellable DLC?  Or have our developers learned allot and the fixes they want to do are too great for an update or DLC, so a whole new game would be required.  MAG is a new game concept and I would accpect your team to have learned something on how to re-do this game.  I would hope your team continues to explore new game concepts, MAG was  a good start.  I always thought MAG was going to have a ground battle, air battle and sea battle (merge War Hawk with MAG anyone?)

For a MAG sequal here are some pointed thoughts

• Is there a need to create new PMC's to better balance the good players from the bad.  Or are there other incentives to create a better balance of quality players (or any other way that makes sever not win all the time)
  • Can you blend the Online competition style gameplay with a complex story line? by adding progression based game modes.

I think MAG still has potential to further develop before you roll out the next game.

zpr_Roper wrote:

As we mentioned at the end of last year, some changes are coming to Zipline beginning with this week's episode. The most significant change is that we're moving away from the strict Q&A formula and moving more towards a topic-driven roundtable discussion.

This week's topic will be: Existing franchises vs. new franchises. Our special guest will be Zipper President Brian Soderberg.

What we're looking for from you guys is your thoughts on the topic. In this case, do you think it's great that we keep working on SOCOM titles? Were you glad to see us work on something new like MAG? What do you think about the industry's reliance on sequels year after year?

You're free to ask questions, but try to keep them related to the topic.

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 37 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
849 posts

Jan 12, 2011

Keep developing in MAG it can be so much better

And I think we all know you guys in ZIPPER can be making better progress with it as well.

MAG 2 wouldn’t be a bad idea as long as it still has a flow or continues the story line with the Shadow war and doesnt go over the top still keeping MAG's specs if not BETTER!

GOOD LUCK ZIPPER!!

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 37 (287 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1205 posts

Jan 12, 2011

I'm sure everyone who actually listens to the podcast's or at least 90+% of the listeners belong to a clan.  

And judging by lots of recent threads pleading for clan wars, or easier methods for clans to queue up against each other.

Could we have a topic on the possibility of clan battles or even a challenge button in clan deploy.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 37 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
495 posts

Jan 12, 2011

My on topic question would be, does Brian see MAG as a success? I don't know if the numbers I see on MAG are accurate to worldwide players or not, but Call of duty world at war generally has more players online at any given time than MAG does across all game modes.

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 37 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2866 posts

Jan 12, 2011

I was extremely excited to see Zipper working on MAG and equally excited to see Zipper working on Socom 4, but with MAGs introduction to the gaming world I really think that many people want a sequel to MAG.  One that improves the game and works on past mistakes.  I believe that MAG can be Zipper's new hit franchise.  But that brings up the question, what do you want to do with the MAG game?  Do you want make more MAG games?  Or was MAG just an experiment? One that will not be revisited.

[The YouTube Poser]

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 37 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1526 posts

Jan 12, 2011

I have a feeling that Sony was never really happy with the MAG brand. I reckon they felt it didn't have the marketabilitymass appeal of, say, the Gran Turismo series or the God of War series. (as evidenced by the lack of advertising). Going along those lines, I think the MAG brand is dead, so I don't think they'll be a MAG 2.

Now though, your 2012 game (and I know you're working on something), should definitely incorporate some of the MAG technology - the massive number of players and progressive game modes. MAG raised the bar for console shooters. Your next game (preferably a new IP if you're willing to risk it) should raise it again.

And why a new IP? Well, sequels can definitely stagnate - look at music and rhythm games. They were at the top of the game 5 years ago, but too much gimmicky crap and repetition killed them. SOCOM: Confrontation, even though it was made by a different company, left a bad taste in many gamers' mouths. SOCOM 4 has a bit of an uphill battle in that regards.

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 37 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
566 posts

Jan 13, 2011

Sorry to post so much, but I thought I'd bring a conversation topic to make my babbling more than a rant.

Why is a game engine and the content so commonly tied together? Why are games so heavily modified when it comes to sequels?  Could a model where people buy the "game" and then you continue to sell "campains" work?  Like Starcraft 2 (although no need to make them standalone AND episodic).  Could the classic RTS business model work for FPS's on consoles?  As already said, the model I am refering to is Blizzard's SC2, Valve's HL:Episodes, and DICE's BF:BC2 Vietnam.

An Essay on Reviving MAG
Help solve MAG freezing issues. Contribute here: Freeze Logs, Improve Freeze Recovery

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 37 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
397 posts

Jan 13, 2011

Is there going to be a MAG2?

What changes are in store for MAG now?

If there is going to be a MAG 2? What are the new features ZIpper is going to add into them?

Is Zipper happy with the outcome of MAG? or are they dissapointed?

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 37 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1760 posts

Jan 13, 2011

I think the best way to phrase this question 'so the PR Ninjas don't come after you guys' would be "What is the likelihood of the development team to create a sequel for MAG, and how does the company feel it would be worth creating one?"

Also, "What's the likelihood of additional game content for the current game this year? Would the company look to change the rules a bit on some of the modes or maps?" Personally, I like seeing games continue to have a well-sized community 3+ years after the game was released.

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 37 (287 Views)
0 Likes