Genre: Action/Adventure
Platform: PlayStation®3
ESRB Rating: Mature
Developer: Santa Monica Studios
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America
Release Date: March 16th, 2010
Overall Score: 10/10
Review Author:  LightJak007

The "God of War" franchise has definitely had it's share of defining moments, yet the third and final installment of the "God of War" trilogy is perhaps one of the most anticipated gaming finales of the previous decade. Check out the most defining moment of the series so far, in my review of God of War III.

Story

As corny as Kratos might sound sometimes with all of his fantastic punch-lines, the script along with the storyline creates a bloody landscape capable of overthrowing "300" as the most brutal piece of entertainment on the market today. And I mean it. If you've played the first and second games, you'll find that the story in the third game has kept the same formula that stays exclusive to God of War. It's everything you expected and more. Only this time, Kratos put an end to everything, and without spilling my guts entirely (pun), you'll see what I mean if you decide to play through the series.

To summarize, this is the story of a mortal (turned god, then mortal again) named Kratos and his quest for vengeance. Of course, we all should know that at least. In God of War III, this is when everything gets turned around on Olympus and you will see the ending that we have all been waiting for. The ending of the end could have been better, but since there might be DLC for the ending they took out, I'm not worrying in the least. Stand alone though, it was a very satisfying storyline, even when it ended with you asking more questions in the end. 

The game is also very linear, which almost goes without saying, but it doesn't subtract from the story at all. From the beginning, God of War was never meant to be a non-linear game.

Gameplay

When you control Kratos, it is all the same as before. If you are a newcomer, you will have no difficulties with the extremely easy learning curve for the controls. Despite the "same-old, same-old", God of War III is one of the best games I have ever played. The gameplay was very fine-tuned and polished along with having a fluidity, which makes this a classic God of War game. In terms of new weapons/items that you collect over the course of the adventure, there were similarities between all of the blades that you get such as the look of the blades and the types of combo moves with each weapon. Nonetheless, there are some very interesting new additions, such as the boots you get from Hermes or the weapon that you "steal" from Hercules. 

The puzzles in the game add a whole new level to the experience as well. At one point in the game, you will have a puzzle that bares distinct resemblance to "echochrome" and creating the stage for your escape from Hera's Garden. That alone was one of the toughest platforming puzzles I've played in a game to date. Including the Labyrinth, these level designs are crazy and definitely showcase the skilled development behind the game.

Now, here is my favorite aspect of the entire game: The bosses. You can almost relate to Kratos' thirst for vengeance and this only makes killing off the gods one-by-one even better. Everything is played out like a movie and when you reach the end, you'll think that it was a long eight hours spent trying to reach Zeus. I really can't explain the brutality of each scene on here, but the pure violence in every battle is what brings out the sheer brilliance of what the Santa Monica team has accomplished. Simply 'wow'.

Graphics

In comparison to Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, God of War III has the same level of theatrics and lucid motion that creates a unique experience for the gamer. Granted, each game is different, yet with the technology that God of War III has, it's up-to-par with the best graphics made in games ever. You can tell that they didn't slack with graphics (or anything else really) and they correctly display that they are professionals at what they do. The work that the Santa Monica studio crafts is worthy of the top awards in the industry.

Even the cinematics are in-game, there are no pre-rendered CGI cutscenes; only pre-rendered cutscenes using the in-game engine. I often found myself wondering if the gameplay started already after the cutscene, you really can't tell the difference. I thought games wouldn't reach this level until much later, but God of War III has shown me that I was wrong. The future is now.

Audio

To end this epic saga, they kept the same gigantic score that carries throughout the franchise and it never fails to impress. Nothing innovative or new is added, just the same grand scale of composing that we all are familiar with and love. The score carries beautifully throughout the game and it adds atmosphere to the game just as it's supposed to.

Voice acting can't really get any better than this. There is a great cast of the "right" individuals playing each part including some celebrities such as Rip Torn and Malcolm McDowell, and everyone nails it. There is a lot of talent that goes into the game and polishes the final experience with finesse and style.

Conclusion

The conclusion of the God of War franchise has only left me begging for more. We have seen the end, yet I feel we have only seen the beginning. The Santa Monica studio is now, in my eyes, one of the greatest and most talented in the industry today with the entire God of War franchise as their masterpiece. Very few games give us this intriguing of a storyline, and it is well worth replaying again. I can't say it enough, God of War III (along with the rest of the God of War franchise) is one of the best games I've ever had the pleasure of sitting down and playing.

Please Note: The views expressed in this message are the views of the review author, who is in no way affiliated with SCEA or PlayStation.com.

Message 1 of 1 (599 Views)