Survivor
2597 posts

Re: 100 Games to Play Before You Die; The MVPs' Top 100 PlayStation Games

Jul 9, 2011

Pretty neat. All of those are worthy in their own right on that list. I personally only played about 46 of those.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 35 (224 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2050 posts

Jul 15, 2011

Bulletpainpills wrote:

Pretty neat. All of those are worthy in their own right on that list. I personally only played about 46 of those.

Deadly Neurotoxin! .Photobucket

Then you've got a lot of work ahead of you! ^_^

Spoony Bard

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 35 (224 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2921 posts

Jul 27, 2011

I can't find Demon's Souls on the list... could it be that so many people have missed out on this holy grail of gaming?

Fextralife.com A gaming blog anyone can contribute to!
Wiki.fextralife.com A wiki network created and managed by gamers for gamers
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 35 (224 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
46811 posts

Jul 29, 2011

Freedom Fighters on the PS2

The civilization series by sid maer (computer mostly but there is a playstation civ)

MAG

Warhawk

Haunted house on the magnavox odyssey gaming system (this will make you appreciate games others think are bad)

Thats 5 from my mind.

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 35 (224 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7802 posts

Aug 12, 2011

Rock Band

Metal Gear

Killzone

What no my princes pony...pft

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 35 (224 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4068 posts

Aug 16, 2011

A lot of those games on that list don't really interest me....especially the number one game. Sorry but I HATE JRPG's. Especially Final Fantasy. Uncharted should have come in second 

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 35 (224 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

Oct 7, 2011

Nice list.

I have to admit though, I was a bit bummed to see Final Fantasy VII get the #1 slot. I've tried to play it over and over again. I even bought it recently in the PS Store and can't manage to get through a lot of it. In my last play through, I tried to find some kind of temple and got stuck. After a solid week of traveling around in that broken plane looking for it, I finally gave in and tried looking up answers online. No luck there either (which drove me crazy for a MONTH!) -- After all that time, I completely lost interest.

Random battles also annoyed the hell out of me. Not for while I was progressing really, but whenever there would be any backtracking involved, it was enough to make me want to pull my hair out.

So, not to take this thread off track, but is the love for Final Fantasy VII everywhere merely for it's story or is there something I'm missing here?

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 35 (224 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11832 posts

Oct 10, 2011

CyberOcelot wrote:

So, not to take this thread off track, but is the love for Final Fantasy VII everywhere merely for it's story or is there something I'm missing here?

Note: Potential spoilers below.

Depending on how old you are, you may or may not "get" FFVII. I'll admit, when I first played it, it was a little hard to get used to. I'm at that slightly awkward age where I'm not young and I'm not old so FFVII kind of slipped past me while I was growing up. Therefore, when I finally got around to playing it (years back in middle school), I was slightly spoiled with the then impressive graphics of the PS2 which made the game feel a bit dated when I finally got around to starting it up. Plus, the gameplay as a whole felt kind of rigid (however, I can't really hold these factors against the game; developers did the best with the technology that they had back then).

Anyway, a great example for this type of topic is the Aeris death scene. Back then, it was a big deal. Actually, it still is for many people. A beloved character is killed off right in the middle of the game. Who wouldn't be devastated? Well, it turns out, a lot of people my age weren't simply due to the fact that we've been spoiled. As much as I try to keep an open mind, I've been conditioned for years to notice things like the lack of music in the background as she's being stabbed, the lack of any sort of detail on Cloud's face as he looks on as Sephiroth descends from above. The whole thing is definitely memorable but I would be willing to bet my game collection that I would have been twice as astounded if I had gone through the game close to its initial release instead of years later after I had played dozens of newer games.

Another way you could look at it is that FFVII is filled with so much hype that when people finally get into the game, they're expecting "the world," as so many people say. Of course, when expectations are high, they're usually not met, which is something I see a lot of gamers encounter with FFVII. This is especially true of gamers who were born into this generation. Many can agree with me in saying that a lot of experiences these days are in the form of shooters that have 6-hour campaigns and multiplyer matches that last for a few minutes at a time. Is the typical Call of Duty player going to have the patience to spend 40 to 50 hours on an RPG? Better yet, one that is dated and has characters that don't tote M16s? Sadly, probably not.

As for me, I thoroughly enjoyed FFVII. The story was awesome, the gameplay was fun, and it was nice to play a game that wasn't brand new for a change. However, I think the more that time goes on, the more FFVII will take a back seat to games that are arguably less interesting. That's an entirely new topic of conversation, however.

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 35 (224 Views)
First Son
23 posts

Oct 10, 2011

I have to disagree with this list. There are way too many sequels in the list to be taken seriously. Why should I bother playing gran turismo 1 when I know that graphics and driving mechanics are better in gran turismo 5? Old games if they are put on the list need to either have excellent story telling or be a game that changed the way game developers made games.

One of the innovative games from the PS1 which isn't on the list was Driver 2. This was the first free roam driving game with the ability to get out of your car and steal another one. Yet, you give credit to GTA III for that which is completely wrong.

You have Tony Hawk 2 on the list? That is one of the worst Tony Hawk games. It barely improved on the mechanics of THPS by adding a manual which was worthless in the game. There are only two Tony Hawk games that should even be considered on this list which the first one (due to its nature of launching the skateboarding into popularity) and Tony Hawk Underground which was the first to have a story line and had an rpg elements added in.

I noticed that you don't have any sports games other than the Tony Hawk which I can understand since most people aren't wanting to play an older sports title. However, NFL 2k5 should be mentioned in the list due to having better game mechanics than even the current madden games. This football game had gang tackling, first person mode and a superb ESPN highlights that makes it feel like you are playing a real football game on ESPN. Furthermore, people still make roster updates that you can download and put on your ps2.

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 35 (224 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5694 posts

Nov 26, 2011

Sniggler wrote:

I have to disagree with this list. There are way too many sequels in the list to be taken seriously. Why should I bother playing gran turismo 1 when I know that graphics and driving mechanics are better in gran turismo 5? Old games if they are put on the list need to either have excellent story telling or be a game that changed the way game developers made games.

One of the innovative games from the PS1 which isn't on the list was Driver 2. This was the first free roam driving game with the ability to get out of your car and steal another one. Yet, you give credit to GTA III for that which is completely wrong.

You have Tony Hawk 2 on the list? That is one of the worst Tony Hawk games. It barely improved on the mechanics of THPS by adding a manual which was worthless in the game. There are only two Tony Hawk games that should even be considered on this list which the first one (due to its nature of launching the skateboarding into popularity) and Tony Hawk Underground which was the first to have a story line and had an rpg elements added in.

I noticed that you don't have any sports games other than the Tony Hawk which I can understand since most people aren't wanting to play an older sports title. However, NFL 2k5 should be mentioned in the list due to having better game mechanics than even the current madden games. This football game had gang tackling, first person mode and a superb ESPN highlights that makes it feel like you are playing a real football game on ESPN. Furthermore, people still make roster updates that you can download and put on your ps2.

To your first paragraph: this is not about what is better now, but about what was either revolutionary at the time or did what it tried to do very well. We had every MVP get votes into this any only the very best got chosen. Sure GT5 has better driving then GT1, but GT1 did something no other game would have ever dreamt of at the time: to make a game so rich in detail, controls and graphics. Without a game like GT1 we would not have games like Forza or Need For Speed being what they are no a days.

To your second paragraph: that is simply your opinion and although I, and all of us welcome it, we had voting to make sure an unworthy game did not make the list.

To your final paragraph: you have a good point and this is because although we did have a large group decide what stays and goes we did bring up games we most often liked or knew were good for a reason. I say I know a lot about games to see why Final Fantasy is an amazing game despite me never caring or playing a single one before. I like to think I am an open minded gamer so I can say I like to represent everyone. True, we do not have many sports games and true not many were brought up but that doesn't mean they all suck. Don't forget this is only 100 games, which hardly does justice to all the many games out there.

Cheers, Brrnout

PS MVPs: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Proud to be an MVP and serving our community since June 2010
Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 35 (224 Views)