Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 25 2004
By: cobragt~ Treasure Hunter 5043 posts

Games in true 4d, is it possible =P

11 replies 41 views Edited Apr 25, 2004
If you know what 4d is, you know it's time.  Now some ppl say, games cant have true time, they can only simulate it.  But, what if, games in the nex gen have the exact same time as reality.  Like, it's 11:34 central where I live, in the game, it's the same exact time.  In the game, when the sun goes down, the sun in reality goes down.  Now if a game could do all of this crazy stuff, would it still be simulating 4d?  Tell me what ya think.

Edited:  And the game could do day light savings.

Message Edited by cobragt on 04-25-2004 11:40 AM

Message Edited by cobragt on 04-25-2004 11:41 AM

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10152 posts

Re: Games in true 4d

Apr 25, 2004

,cobragt wrote:
If you know what 4d is, you know it's time.  Now some ppl say, games cant have true time, they can only simulate it.  But, what if, games in the nex gen have the exact same time as reality.  Like, it's 11:34 central where I live, in the game, it's the same exact time.  In the game, when the sun goes down, the sun in reality goes down.  Now if a game could do all of this crazy stuff, would it still be simulating 4d?  Tell me what ya think.

Having an in-game clock matching real-world time would not be simulating 4D, my friend. The concept of height, width, depth, and time is slightly more complex than simlpy adding a clock. Quite frankly, 4D is not something that we need to worry about, considering the 4th dimension is theoretical more than anything. And, of course, we can't overlook the fact that we have yet to attain true 3D in video games.
-I know nothing-
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5043 posts

Apr 25, 2004

,funky-fresh-dud wrote:

,cobragt wrote:

Having an in-game clock matching real-world time would not be simulating 4D, my friend. The concept of height, width, depth, and time is slightly more complex than simlpy adding a clock. Quite frankly, 4D is not something that we need to worry about, considering the 4th dimension is theoretical more than anything. And, of course, we can't overlook the fact that we have yet to attain true 3D in video games.

Explain to me, what true 3d would look like, your reply is really interesting.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10152 posts

Apr 25, 2004

,cobragt wrote:

True 3D would be a hologram. We will never attain true 3D in video games without holographics. So far, the only thing we have is simulated 3D. Illusions for the eye. Careful manipulation of height and width to create the illusion of depth, but in reality there is no depth. It is a tv screen, or a computer monitor, and what you see in the background of a video game is no farther away than the foreground.
-I know nothing-
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5043 posts

Apr 25, 2004

,funky-fresh-dud wrote:

,cobragt wrote:

True 3D would be a hologram. We will never attain true 3D in video games without holographics. So far, the only thing we have is simulated 3D. Illusions for the eye. Careful manipulation of height and width to create the illusion of depth, but in reality there is no depth. It is a tv screen, or a computer monitor, and what you see in the background of a video game is no farther away than the foreground.

So basically, games now, are 2d in reality?  And ppl make such a big deal on bump mapping
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8363 posts

Apr 25, 2004
By "true 3D" he probably means like holograms & such. Images with actual depth, not just simulated depth; or at the very least, VR goggles (those things rock).

There is at least one game in which you could manipulate the 4th dimention of time: Prince of Persia. You could use the dagger to slow time down, or even reverse it.

While on the matter of true "real-time" games, I was thinking that that would make for a truly amazing concept for Gran Turismo 4. It would be like this: if you have an active internet connection, whenever you start the race, it would get the local time for the track you're at, and it would get the current temperature & weather data for the track location. Then it would simulate those conditions in the game for you to race in. Of course, it would have to be a selectable option, because the game would be almost unplayable in the winter months otherwise.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10152 posts

Apr 25, 2004

,cobragt wrote:

So basically, games now, are 2d in reality?  And ppl make such a big deal on bump mapping

Pretty much. I mean, I could pick up a piece of paper and draw a cube by merely laying out lines at certain angles from each other, nothing more, nothing less. Is there really a cube on my paper, though? Is the cube lying ON the paper? Can I reach out and touch the different sides of the cube, including the back sides? No. They're just an illusion. And that is what we have in video games (or anything else on a screen or paper). Until holographics are developed, in which we could walk around the objects projected, and truly see them from different angles, see behind them, below them, above them, around them, only then will we have true 3D.

Unfortunately, holographic technology is a ways off, and a long ways off until it can be home-use.

However, 4D is a different matter all-together, and we really can't argue this without an expert. I'm no expert.

-I know nothing-
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5043 posts

Apr 25, 2004

,Sven wrote:
By "true 3D" he probably means like holograms & such. Images with actual depth, not just simulated depth; or at the very least, VR goggles (those things rock).

There is at least one game in which you could manipulate the 4th dimention of time: Prince of Persia. You could use the dagger to slow time down, or even reverse it.

While on the matter of true "real-time" games, I was thinking that that would make for a truly amazing concept for Gran Turismo 4. It would be like this: if you have an active internet connection, whenever you start the race, it would get the local time for the track you're at, and it would get the current temperature & weather data for the track location. Then it would simulate those conditions in the game for you to race in. Of course, it would have to be a selectable option, because the game would be almost unplayable in the winter months otherwise.

That would be cool for gt4.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5043 posts

May 5, 2004
Funky, here's a response from a member on the boards to your appeal on 4d

tell that guy funky-fresh-dud that in game clocks that match actual times in the time zone are already out and have been out. if you save a file on your game in say socom it tells you the date, hour, min, sec that you saved and its based on your own time zone. also that his hologram idea can only be achived at this time with either a projector or eye manipulation equipment like in VR. No screen at this time that i know of can produce real 3d images based on the fact that the screen isnt able to produce an image that has more depth than itself. a screen is flat therefore any image shown on it must also be flat. thats why they use shadows and other tricks of the trade to produce "fake" 3d. 4d cant be simulated (yet) 4d as best can be realized is dreaming and even dreaming isnt 4d in the terms of which time elapses in a correct manner because we can dream about days and days worth of stuff when in fact we havent been sleeping but for so long.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3115 posts

May 5, 2004
Blinx: The Timesweeper was claimed to be the world first "4D game". But is it True 4D?I dont think so...
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (41 Views)
0 Likes