Jul 05 2010
By: GrayGargoyle PlayStation MVP 10781 posts

How easily do you give up on sorry games?

13 replies 335 views Edited Jul 5, 2010

Perhaps there was a sense of thrill in the purchase. Unwrapping the cellophane even gives off that irresistible aroma. Then again, maybe there's a worry wart that sprouted in your head sometime before the game was yours. Most likely your disdain seeps in after the green light lit up, the blue light pursued, and the symphony of sounds, the button clicking chases, and the final catch becomes that of a game that maybe throws you off the hunt after all.

Is this you? Do you ever buy (or rent) a game that just doesn't suit you? Maybe it's not all that terrible, maybe it's somewhat tolerable. Maybe it's much worse. Whatever the case is, this could be a game that doesn't fly right for you. That's when the idea gets in your head that you could be better off than you are now.

So what do you do? Do you suffer the consequences, keeping your chin up and hoping that this unattractive morsel has at least some redeemable qualities along the way (seeing both the good and the bad), or are you more easily to end the relationship right here and now?

"Listen game: I don't like you, I don't want you. I saw something in you, but it's over now. You'll find someone who will forgive your shortcomings. It just won't be me - so says my restraining order!"

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 14 (335 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11003 posts

Re: How easily do you give up on sorry games?

Jul 6, 2010

I keep the "bad relationship" going for as long as possible in order to punish myself for giving the video game in question a chance to begin with. With that being said, very few video games are pure torture. If I care enough about a video game to add it to my video game collection then I care enough about it to play through it at least a few times (few exceptions).

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 14 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6519 posts

Jul 6, 2010
wel i feel stupid for actually giving the game a go to start with :smileytongue: but it all comes down to how you feel on the gameplay really to determine its sorryness some could be sorry to you but not to others so its like a mixed bag of sweets you never know what your gonna get
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 14 (335 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13832 posts

Jul 6, 2010

HA, LOL!

I try not to think about it that deeply. If I get stuck, I quit. If I'm playing a bad game (like I did a few weeks ago with Dark void and darksiders) and am either not having any fun or just plain realize how stupid the game is, I'll quit. I may go back to these bad games, but not for a long while.

...Yeah, because sometimes trophy hunting isn't a good enough reason to keep playing a bad game.

Multisystem owner. PS Plus member:Legendary status.GAP member with a launch PS3.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 14 (335 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10781 posts

Jul 6, 2010

I've actually been dealing with this situation myself as of late, when attempting to journey into the bowels of Resonance of Fate. Don't get me wrong, it's not that bad. The game doesn't sit well with me either. Turning on my PlayStation 3, I look at the game pop up on the screen. It's fully playable, but the question is do I sincerely care to give it another go?

I try. I fail to find an abundance of joy. In these situations, I tend to think of other goodies coming up. I tend to think, "Hey, maybe I should stop playing this and start over with an entirely new game." I definitely know that the option to push through my disinterest in a game is viable, but for me it's not exactly plausible. Not all the time, anyway. I have actually played much worse games for longer (Shadow Madness comes to mind). Maybe I'm just losing strength in will, or possibly it's just that nowadays I know better.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 14 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
876 posts

Jul 6, 2010

Disappointments are something of an inevitability when it comes to purchasing video games. No matter how much research I do before hand, up to and including playing demos, I sometimes end up with a dud on my hands. So I’ve developed some approaches to dealing with this.

First, I tend to give games at least a few hours before declaring them rotten. I want to make sure I get through the clunky openings or tutorials and into the meat of the game. I also want to make sure I’ve gotten used to the controls. Either of those things can give me the wrong impression of the games, so I want to be certain I’ve given the true gameplay a fair shake.

Secondly, I try to determine if my mood is impacting my appreciation of the game. Even games that I already know I love sometimes don’t strike my fancy if I’m in the wrong mood. If I believe this may be the case, I might put the game off for a day or two then try again.

Third, if I don’t think my mood impacted how I felt about the game but I still think it’s a game I should enjoy, I’ll put it aside for a lot longer. Maybe a month or more. This will give me a really fresh start, and in these cases I sometimes find my first impressions were wrong.

In the end, if I’m absolutely certain that I’m not going to get any pleasure from the game, I’ll sell it. I have no qualms about doing this, and maybe its sale can at least help me to pick up something better.

0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5451 posts

Jul 7, 2010

First of all, the mention of the "Aroma" put a smile on my face. And my embarrassing admission is, that's the reason I buy all my games new. I LOVE that new manual smell. I compare it to that addictive aroma when buying a new car. HAHA!! OK... now that I got that embarrassing admission out of the way, back on topic... 

Now that you mention it, I've come to realize that buying bad games happens much less often to me (and probably most of us) this generation. We have demos, trailers, forums, review sites, and MUCH MORE resources to make sure we're getting our money's worth. Some games slip by the radar though. And some games, notably sequels, change the formula so drastically, you are caught off guard with a game you have no interest in but came reviewed well. Here are my examples...

Final Fantasy 13: In this games case, I expected a simplified Final Fantasy as Final Fantasy 10 was, but this one was extreme. Once putting it in, it only took about 3 hours for me to realize I was about to commit to playing a game where I would be running in a straight line with battle after battle for AT LEAST 30 hours. But hey, it's Final Fantasy. So I gave it a LONG shot and kept playing till it finally opened up near the end (Chapter 11 / 12?) When even that didn't impress me and I realized I was craving to wash dishes more than play, I gave up and sold it along with it's strategy guide for a great bargain just to get it out of my site.

Another game was MAG. I personally don't care for FPS games, and even when one with a good story comes about (ie: Bioshock, Killzone, etc...) I NEVER care for online battles. But, I was sold on the concept of 256 player combat and spent $110 on the game and bluetooth headset. I played the first night, and enjoyed it a bit more than the usual online shooter. Then I didn't play it for a week. Played again for a few hours, and then set it down for two weeks. Eventually, I realized my pattern when I saw I wasn't playing at all for a month, and sold it away in the same fashion as Final Fantasy 13.

This post is already quite long, so I won't go into detail about the others. But, I think it's normal. There's this hint of denial in all of us when we try to come to grips with reality. And that reality is, "Man... I just threw away $60!"

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 14 (335 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10781 posts

Jul 7, 2010

Amir29 wrote:

This post is already quite long, so I won't go into detail about the others. But, I think it's normal. There's this hint of denial in all of us when we try to come to grips with reality. And that reality is, "Man... I just threw away $60!"

Call me an optimist, but I don't actually think of it as throwing away $60 (or whatever the cost). Technically, there's a good chance beforehand that you know what you're getting yourself into. Even if you don't, it's a gamble. You're chancing your money. It's not like you're emptying your pockets and placing the money in a bin to be disposed of - all you're doing is buying something that could be the time of your life, or a stinker.

Picture yourself dining in a fancy restaurant. There's a dish that you've never tried, where the company you're in warns you of the dangers in attempting something different. Bravery here can prove that you have an open mind, but the confrontation can also leave you unsatisfied. Paying the bill, it's not like you came away with nothing. You've paid for your food or your game. It's yours. Just accept the fact that you've rolled the dice in this turn and luck was not by your side.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 14 (335 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3976 posts

Jul 9, 2010

I also like to think of myself as a bit of an optimist.  I bought it.  I'll deal with the consequences.  Even if I trade it in, I'm not going to get back what I spent.  So, I keep it, and put it aside, so that I can give it another chance later.  Afterall, I could very well end up enjoying it more the second time around, and in that case, it'll be worth more to me than a trade in credit.  I bough it, so it's mine.  But I did roll the dice on it, so maybe it didn't work out, but for better or worse, my collection has increased by one.

But as for playing a game straight through the first time around, well, I often get distracted, even with games I really enjoy.  If I buy a new game, whether physical or digital, I can easily get wrapped up in that initial excitement, and may start playing it right away, instead of finishing what I'm currently playing.  But even with the games I set aside, I could suddenly start thinking about that game I bought six months ago, and have been meaning to start for a while.  I could also start thinking about that game I started a while ago, but never finished, and set aside the game I'm currently playing, while I finish, or sometimes even restart the game I set aside previously.  Or, I might just start thinking about a game I enjoyed and how much I'd love to replay it. 

Sometimes I even need to take a break from a genre, often rpgs, since I like a variety of games, and sometimes, stacking too many games in the same genre can make me grow tired of it for a while, so I set all games in that genre aside, and come back to them later.  A while back, I decided to stop forcing myself to play through games in a certain order, and now, I just play what I want, when I want, for better or worse. 

And that's with games I enjoy.  If there's a game mechanic I find bland or tedious, for example, if I have to spend an extended period of time grinding, I'm far more likely to set said game aside, even though I could still really like the game in question.  But if I'm just not into it altogether, well, it'll probably get put aside very quickly.  I have way too many games to play, and not a lot of time to get through them, and even when I do have a lot of time to play games, it's not like I spend every moment of my spare time gaming.  I used to be able to get through even the worst of games, but that was before I started really getting into purchasing games, and before I had a big collection.  So I'm not going to waste the time I do have to game on a game I'm not going to enjoy.  I do like to give games at least a little bit of a chance at first, making sure to get through the tutorial, and at least get to sample the main gameplay, and I'm more than willing to give games a second chance later on, but why spend a lot of time playing something if I can't stop thinking about more enjoyable games I could be playing instead?

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 14 (335 Views)
PlayStation MVP
10781 posts

Jul 9, 2010

tross88 wrote:

I also like to think of myself as a bit of an optimist.  I bought it.  I'll deal with the consequences.  Even if I trade it in, I'm not going to get back what I spent.  So, I keep it, and put it aside, so that I can give it another chance later.  Afterall, I could very well end up enjoying it more the second time around, and in that case, it'll be worth more to me than a trade in credit.  I bough it, so it's mine.  But I did roll the dice on it, so maybe it didn't work out, but for better or worse, my collection has increased by one.

But as for playing a game straight through the first time around, well, I often get distracted, even with games I really enjoy.  If I buy a new game, whether physical or digital, I can easily get wrapped up in that initial excitement, and may start playing it right away, instead of finishing what I'm currently playing.  But even with the games I set aside, I could suddenly start thinking about that game I bought six months ago, and have been meaning to start for a while.  I could also start thinking about that game I started a while ago, but never finished, and set aside the game I'm currently playing, while I finish, or sometimes even restart the game I set aside previously.  Or, I might just start thinking about a game I enjoyed and how much I'd love to replay it. 

Sometimes I even need to take a break from a genre, often rpgs, since I like a variety of games, and sometimes, stacking too many games in the same genre can make me grow tired of it for a while, so I set all games in that genre aside, and come back to them later.  A while back, I decided to stop forcing myself to play through games in a certain order, and now, I just play what I want, when I want, for better or worse. 

And that's with games I enjoy.  If there's a game mechanic I find bland or tedious, for example, if I have to spend an extended period of time grinding, I'm far more likely to set said game aside, even though I could still really like the game in question.  But if I'm just not into it altogether, well, it'll probably get put aside very quickly.  I have way too many games to play, and not a lot of time to get through them, and even when I do have a lot of time to play games, it's not like I spend every moment of my spare time gaming.  I used to be able to get through even the worst of games, but that was before I started really getting into purchasing games, and before I had a big collection.  So I'm not going to waste the time I do have to game on a game I'm not going to enjoy.  I do like to give games at least a little bit of a chance at first, making sure to get through the tutorial, and at least get to sample the main gameplay, and I'm more than willing to give games a second chance later on, but why spend a lot of time playing something if I can't stop thinking about more enjoyable games I could be playing instead?

Time is definitely another factor that people lose as they get older. You've once had too much time to play any game that came your way, but later on you might have too little time to even play through one of the greats. Gaming should also be a natural progression I feel, as when you want to actually play the game. You could want to force yourself through the mud. No matter what, you're going to keep sinking, sticking, and getting filthy through this awful mess. I've watched a friend play through two games this generation that they had just bought, back to back, with both games being atrocious. Although he wanted to get his money's worth, the jokes that followed about said games revealed that we were thinking the same thing: "It's Call of Duty time!"

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 14 (335 Views)