PlayStation MVP
46746 posts

Re: Sexuality in Video Games: How Much is Too Much?

Jul 29, 2011

Weidleface wrote:

I'd like to preface this topic by saying that this is a risky subject to be talking about in an open forum. That being said, those of us that are able to post here on the MVP General board should be more than mature enough to talk about a topic such as tis without any issue, and that is what I expect.

This idea was inspired by some of the buzz going around about Atlus's new game, Catherine. Based on the material that's been released, there is much debate over whether or not a game that appears as fanservicey and sexually provocative as Catherine will be released stateside.  I'm sure many of us can throw out multiple examples of games that have more than their fair share of provocative material that had no problem bother prior to and post-release. However, we also see a lot of games from the Land  of the Rising Sun in particular that are never released out of fear of the reaction that the American media will have toward the game's sexual content.

I think it's fair to say that we Americans tend to have an opposite view on sexuality in our entertainment media as opposed to other countries. This is especially true where video games are concerned. In a form of entertainment that is still widely regarded as being ainmed at children, our media is quick to condemn any game that even has an inkling of sexual behavior (hot coffee, anyone?).

What I'd like to know from you as gamers is where you think the line should be drawn. Are scantily-clad anime maidens acceptable? Is it ok for a gamer to guide Ethan Mars (of Heavy Rain fame) through a passionate lovemaking scene with a female protagonist? I also would like to know if you think there is somewhat of a double standard where this is concerned. The media was all over a high profile game like San Andreas, but games like Heavy Rain that feature frontal female nudity and yet another interactive sex scene (much more intense than GTA, mind you) just seem to be overlooked. Do we pick and choose what "offends" us as a gaming community?

Photobucket
Currently Playing: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Dissidia 012

For me personally I'll use 2 games to show you what level I can accept and what level goes a bit too far.

GOW3 had a few "scenes" in it....that was ok

Dante's Inferno goes too far with its cutscenes and useage of sexuallity.

That being said I dont think that game companies shouldn't make these types of games if people want them, I just would like to know in advance that when I sit down with my girlfriend to try out dante's inferno that she isn't going to be upset at the nudity.

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 49 (432 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2710 posts

Jul 30, 2011

I think there will always be a few game designers who push the envelope when it comes to the sexuality and violance we see in video games, it's just human nature to see what we are capable of getting away with.

Beind an adult i think i'm more than capable of making my own decision on what i find to be offensive or not, either by voicing my opinion on community posts or simply by not buying the game. As for politicians making those decisions for us i think that's ridiculous, especially when we have nuckle head politicians like congressman anthony weiner showing his junk on twitter.  I'll rely on my own common sense and the gamer community's feedback, since our's is the one that should matter the most.                   

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=
Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 49 (432 Views)
PlayStation MVP
46746 posts

Aug 4, 2011

Black_MagicWoman wrote:

I think there will always be a few game designers who push the envelope when it comes to the sexuality and violance we see in video games, it's just human nature to see what we are capable of getting away with.

Beind an adult i think i'm more than capable of making my own decision on what i find to be offensive or not, either by voicing my opinion on community posts or simply by not buying the game. As for politicians making those decisions for us i think that's ridiculous, especially when we have nuckle head politicians like congressman anthony weiner showing his junk on twitter.  I'll rely on my own common sense and the gamer community's feedback, since our's is the one that should matter the most.                   

I like the way you think!

The 9 Scariest words in the english language "I'm from the government and I'm here to help -R.R."

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 49 (432 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Oct 8, 2011

I don't see why you to put that crap in a game to make it fun.  Really be weird if someone walked in the door with that scene going in.  Quote  ''What you doin Bob''? Looks at TV ''Umm I'm gonna go for a walk'' Aqward.  If you need to get banged go do it with your GF.

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 49 (432 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Dec 21, 2011

Certainly allowing any sexuality in video games should be prohibited.  Allowing such incidences only spawns sexual perversions in young men and women which subsequently lead to warped senses of humor and a generally low self-esteem.  It seems that creators of these video games will do anything to make a buck.  No one has any morals anymore.  Couple this with the fact that no one reads anymore, and I'd say this country is heading towards an increasingly negative road. 

Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 49 (432 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7850 posts

Dec 22, 2011

TheBlackInternet wrote:

Certainly allowing any sexuality in video games should be prohibited.  Allowing such incidences only spawns sexual perversions in young men and women which subsequently lead to warped senses of humor and a generally low self-esteem.  It seems that creators of these video games will do anything to make a buck.  No one has any morals anymore.  Couple this with the fact that no one reads anymore, and I'd say this country is heading towards an increasingly negative road. 

I have one major problem with that reasoning- Instances of sexuality in a given form of media does not automatically predispose a generation to unrealistic sexual expectations and perversions. Granted, an overexposure to any sort of stimulus (violence, sexuality, etc.) can have negative psychological effects, but to say it should be prohibited in the medium altogether is censorship, plain and simple. As far as the reading argument goes, there are countless instances of far more explicit material in many celebrated literary classics than you'll see in any video game out there (A clockwork Orange and The Hunchback of Notre Dame just off the top of my head). Why isn't there a crusade against these books?

My entire stance lies in the argument that there needs to be some sort of parental mediation when it comes to any sort of entertainment for their children whether it be movies, music, video games, or books. There's nothing wron with sexual material in a video game, as long as the public is informed about the content and it is kept out of the hands of those who aren't mature enough. There's no need to censor the genre just because some people lack the basic responsibility to control what the expose their kids to.

Photobucket
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy X HD, inFAMOUS: Second Son
Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 49 (432 Views)
First Son
15 posts

Dec 23, 2011

Hmmm..

Firstly, I must say that I concur with your statements about parents censoring our the negative things we find in the media.  We need better parents, to show us the potential hazardous roads that  being immersed in sexual lust can lead to.  And in my opinion, these negative effects are insecurity, judgemental thoughts and actions, and a sense of superiority over individuals whom they deem are "less" than they are.  However, if we can break out of this, we are far from the norm-- of this society, at least.  

To me, this society is based on unrealistic and materialistic admirations.  I agree with you; parents MUST do better in terms of protecting their young, impressionable children from sexually explicit video games, movies, ect.  Discussing television, it seems as if every where one turns the channel to, there are sexual references.  This is evident due to the vast amounts of television shows and commercials that vividly demonstrate an apparent attempt to corrupt our young children; for instance, the flashing of women's private parts, or mens private parts; men with their shirts off, and women in bras; women in skirts and men seducing women; successful, cool people having sex.  Leading individuals to think of sexual fantasies, am I correct?  We, as a nation, are being led to think that reading isn't cool anymore.  Children (AND ADULTS) nonetheless are being purposely conditioned to be preoccupied with sexual imagery constantly, would you agree?  I've recently been monitering "disney channel" and other adolescent television shows as of late, and they seem to be becoming more violent in nature.  With the vast amounts of technology that we are experiencing, I feel that people are literally FORGETTING about God.  This subsequently leads to lack of sexual control, and prevalence in gross sexual perversions.  Now, you yourself, I am confident, are a fine and productive member of society.  But, I am simply demonstrating how the media is trying to corrupt our impressionable young children into a life of little self-control and sadly, low self-esteem.  You, an adult, can possibly handle these situations.  But can children?   

Sexuality in video games, in my opinion, is kin to the rising occurence of sexuality in the media.  They go hand in hand.  Again, I strongly concur that we need stronger-minded parents whom care about their children.  In contrast to your belief, I feel that the media does indeed contribute to the increase in unrealistic sexual expectations.  How so?  The media is concerned with looks, and idols.  Everyone has to maintain a certain appearance; as boys and men, we are conditioned to think that CERTAIN individuals (beautiful women on television) are the standard, and that if we cannot find a girl that mimicks, say, Taylor Swift or Rhianna, they are not good enough.  For women, if men don't mimick, say, Tom Brady or Denzel Washington, he may not be good enough.  And it is due to this, that I feel that we are being turned into superficial, materialistic robots with the generally same interests in women and men.  This may not be you, personally, but I experience this COUNTLESS times weekly.     

I must say, I do not read graphic novels that are sexually and violently more graphic than videogames; therefore, I feel that these novels should be banned.  I don't watch scary movies, I simply play GTA.  But I completely understand that I shouldn't model after rappers or movie producers and actors and actresses who make money off of extremely violent and sexual themes.  This is a MAJOR issue for me.. Do not claim to believe in God, and demonstrate behavior that goes against Him. 

My point is this:  if the media put the overall well-being of our future children over all else, they wouldn't try to profit off of sex and violence because they wouldn't produce it.  Period.  They know that kids are going to see their sexual music videos, their violent movies, their negative connotations in one way or another and be influenced by them.  They simply do not care.  And again, I completely agree with you.  The media will not change; parents have to.       

Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 49 (432 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2143 posts

Dec 27, 2011

well they shouldnt have unexpected sex scenes cause other people can be the room and then it kind of seems uncomfortable lol

http://freeps4gameslegal.blogspot.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcWWodBu0d8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XbHuScH3Tw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTK9VEeMeKY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ug1o8fOrUY
Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 49 (432 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1231 posts

Jul 16, 2012
doesnt bother me. I think it runs along with movies.... just put a rating and content.

What is a man? (Just look above)... "The ultimate measures of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy".
Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 49 (429 Views)
0 Likes