Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 04 2004
By: Sven-RIT Treasure Hunter 8363 posts

Summer, the videogame drought season

15 replies 18 views Edited May 4, 2004
It seems like the only redeeming quality of the middle months of the year in terms of gaming is E3. That's about the only cool thing that happens in the videogame world during the summer. Actually, that's about the only good thing that happens to videogames in the months of January-September every year. Why is it that all the major gaming releases and events (except E3) seem to happen in the last 3 months of the year? Sure there's christmas, etc., but there's other holidays in the year, too! Not to mention birthdays! For some strange reason everone releases everyting in October-December, every year, and us gamers are left with very little to do during the summer when we have all that extra time (well, the younger ones anyway). Driver 3 (or Driv3r, if you insist) will probably sell hundreds of thousands of copies this summer, even if it sucks, simply because there's not really much else to buy! But then just wait 5 months, and you have to chose what games to buy out of a deluge of about 60 of them.

Why do they do that!?
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 16 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7838 posts

Re: Summer, the videogame drought season

May 4, 2004

,Sven wrote:

Why do they do that!?

I'm sure it's just marketing strategy. I have no doubt that they have noticed when videogame sales spike and now have it down to a science as to when they should release their games. It's good for them but sucks for us gamers.

-Griever_08

http://goo.gl/SjUkM
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 16 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
41471 posts

May 4, 2004

,Griever_08 wrote:

,Sven wrote:

Why do they do that!?

I'm sure it's just marketing strategy. I have no doubt that they have noticed when videogame sales spike and now have it down to a science as to when they should release their games. It's good for them but sucks for us gamers.
Its all about consumers.  People spend money on products in the 3rd and 4th quarter.  Best Buy has to hire help during this season to make up for the busier times.  Its just the way we buy things, not only games but everything is this way.  It can't be changed.
(((())))))))))))))))))==================================-----
*New Game* Infinite Undiscovery
*New DVD* Protest The Hero
*New CD* System Divide - The Conscious Sedation

LoTGD ~!~ RBN ~!~ got xheevos? ~!~ XNA Club ~!~ ** PS Past #1** ~!~ twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 16 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8363 posts

May 4, 2004
The thing is, the movie industry seems to have a different idea. There are plenty of nice movies that come out during the summer. Of course, it's not really buying "things," but still.

I just wish there were more games coming out during summer. Besides which, don't you think publishers would do well to release in the summer, thereby avoiding all that competition?
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 16 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18811 posts

May 4, 2004

Sven wrote:
The thing is, the movie industry seems to have a different idea. There are plenty of nice movies that come out during the summer. Of course, it's not really buying "things," but still.

I just wish there were more games coming out during summer. Besides which, don't you think publishers would do well to release in the summer, thereby avoiding all that competition?

Because during the summer people have more free time to do leisurly activites such as a movie and isn't related to direct consumer spending, it's a leisure activity.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 16 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8363 posts

May 5, 2004
I'd say gaming is a leisure activity...
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 16 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17939 posts

May 5, 2004

,Sven wrote:
It seems like the only redeeming quality of the middle months of the year in terms of gaming is E3. That's about the only cool thing that happens in the videogame world during the summer. Actually, that's about the only good thing that happens to videogames in the months of January-September every year. Why is it that all the major gaming releases and events (except E3) seem to happen in the last 3 months of the year? Sure there's christmas, etc., but there's other holidays in the year, too! Not to mention birthdays! For some strange reason everone releases everyting in October-December, every year, and us gamers are left with very little to do during the summer when we have all that extra time (well, the younger ones anyway). Driver 3 (or Driv3r, if you insist) will probably sell hundreds of thousands of copies this summer, even if it sucks, simply because there's not really much else to buy! But then just wait 5 months, and you have to chose what games to buy out of a deluge of about 60 of them.

Why do they do that!?

They do it for the same reason movies are released Wed. and Fri. Just because :smileytongue: I think they do it because if they release a game in March (for example) some people will forget about it at Christmas, and it's not as fresh in peoples minds. Just my thought though.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 16 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
21059 posts

May 5, 2004

,Griever_08 wrote:

,Sven wrote:

Why do they do that!?

Unfortunately, that's a marketing strategy that no doubt has some backlashes. After all, if you remember last Christmas, Ubisoft released a couple of very good games (Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil), but they were seriously trampled in sales, and neither of them got the recognition they deserved. By the time everyone finally noticed them, it was time for new games to come out. That's when that kind of strategy sucks for the gamers and hurts the company at the same time.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 16 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
41471 posts

May 5, 2004

,Sven wrote:

well most people wouldn't want to go see a movie when it is 20 below 0 outside in 5 feet of snow 

but they will surely go out and spend money on leisure items.  go figure.

*New Game* Infinite Undiscovery
*New DVD* Protest The Hero
*New CD* System Divide - The Conscious Sedation

LoTGD ~!~ RBN ~!~ got xheevos? ~!~ XNA Club ~!~ ** PS Past #1** ~!~ twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 16 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8363 posts

May 6, 2004
So what's a gamer to do in the summer months? Perhaps one could go buy some older games that they never tried, even ones that were released in the winter glut. That's just not as nice as having a brand new game though.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 16 (18 Views)
0 Likes