Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Apr 22 2004
By: Jerel Ghost of Sparta 17140 posts
Offline

The Class of 2004- The Role Playing Games (Possible 56k Warning)

12 replies 3 views Edited Apr 22, 2004
The Class of 2004- The Role Playing Games (Version .5)

Version Notes:

This is a comprehensive look at all of the Role Playing Games that have, will be, or rather should be releasing in 2004 for the PlayStation 2. This is not the complete list of Role Playing Games, but rather one look at this year. If a correction needs to be made, use the “private message” feature on the message board. With each revision, I will try to put in mentions, but it may get redundant… We will just have to see what happens.



The Mission:

To expose people to ever single Role Playing Game of 2004 in order to get them interested in Role Playing Games that they may have other wised missed.

Round Table Discussion:

The topic of discussion for this thread is to give our personal thoughts on the Role Playing Games that have been or are going to be released this year. It may only be April, but this year has already brought some incredible Role Playing Games.

By the end of the year, we should have a pretty good idea about what Role Playing Games that we liked and didn’t like. The basic plan is to talk about what was good or bad about them through the year, and try to come up with what we think is the “Head of the Class” for 2004 or “Game of the Year”.



Without further to do… The Class of 2004!

PlayStation 2

.hack//Outbreak (Part 4)- (Action RPG)
Release Date: 1.13.2004
Origin: Japan
Publisher: Bandai
Developer: CyberConnect2
About: Part 4 of 4 in the .hack series
Review: OPSM 4/5 Stars (Issue 76)
Pictures:#1, #2, #3
Thumbs:


Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance II-
Release Date: 1.20.2004
Origin: United States
Review: OPSM 3.5/5 Stars (Issue 77)
Publisher: Vivendi Universal
Developer: Black Isle Sudios/Interplay
About:
Review(s): OPSM 3.5/5 Stars (Issue 77)
Pictures:#1,#2,#3
Thumbs:


Champions of Norrath: Realms of EverQuest- (Multiplayer Online or Offline Action RPG)
Release Date: 2.02.2004
Origin: United States
Publisher: Sony Online Entertainment
Developer: Snowblind Studios
Review: OPSM 4.5 out of 5 Stars (Issue 78)
Pictures: #1
Thumbs:



Drakengard-(Action RPG)
Release Date: 3.02.2004
Origin: Japan
Publisher: Square-Enix
Developer: Cavia
Review: OPSM 2 out of 5 Stars (Issue 78)
Pictures: #1,#2,#3
Thumbs:



Final Fantasy XI: Online- (MMORPG)
Release Date: 3.23.2004
Origin: Japan
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment of America
Developer: Square-Enix
Review: OPSM 5 out of 5 stars (Issue 78)
Pictures:#1,#2,#3
Thumbs:


La Pucelle Tactics-
Release Date: 5.11.2004
Origin: Japan
Publisher: Mastiff
Developer: Nippon Ichi Software
Review:
Pictures:#1,#2,#3
Thumbs:



X-Men: Legends- (Action RPG)
Release Date: 5.11.2004
Origin: United States
Publisher: Activision
Developer: Raven Software
Pictures:#1,#2,#3
Thumbs:


Front Mission 4-
Release Date: 6.01.2004
Origin: Japan
Publisher: Square-Enix
Developer: Square-Enix
Pictures: #1,#2,#3
Thumbs:


Growlanser Generations-
Release Date: Spring 2004
Origin: Japan
Publisher: Working Designs
Developer: Career Soft/Atlus Software
Pictures: #1,#2,#3
Thumbs:


Star Ocean: Till the End of Time- (Action RPG)
Release Date: 8.2004
Origin: Japan
Publisher: Square-Enix
Developer: tri-Ace
Pictures: #1,#2,#3
Thumbs:


Shaman King: Master Spirits- (Action RPG)
Release Date: 8.2004
Origin: Japan
Publisher: Konami
Developer: Konami JPN
Pictures:#1,#2,,#3
Thumbs:


Mega Man X: Command Mission- (Action RPG)
Release Date: Summer 2004
Origin: Japan
Publisher: Capcom
Developer: Capcom Production Studio 3
Pictures: #1,#2,#3
Thumbs:


Inuyasha: Curse of the Secret Mask-
Release Date: Summer 2004
Origin: Japan
Publisher: Bandai
Developer: Bandai
Pictures: #1,#2,#3
Thumbs:



The Bard’s Tale- (Action RPG)
Release Date: 10.2004
Origin: United States
Publisher: Vivendi Universal
Developer: inXile Entertainment
Pictures: #1,#2,#3
Thumbs:


Suikoden IV-
Release Date: Q4.2004
Origin: Japan
Publisher: Konami
Developer: Konami TYO
Pictures: #1,#2,#3
Thumbs:


Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne-
Release Date: Fall 2004
Origin: Japan
Publisher: Atlus Software
Developer: Atlus Software
Pictures: #1,#2,#3
Thumbs:


YS VI- The Arch of Napishtim-
Release Date: Winter 2004
Origin: Japan
Publisher: Konami
Developer: Falcom Corporation
Pictures: #1,#2,#3
Thumbs:


Kingdom Hearts II- (Action RPG)
Release Date: TBA 2004
Origin: Japan
Publisher: Square-Enix
Developer: Square-Enix/Buena Vista Interactive
Pictures: #1,#2,#3
Thumbs:


Dark Cloud 3- (Action RPG)
Release Date: TBA 2004
Origin: Japan
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Developer: Level 5
Pictures: Not yet released

Dragon Warrior VIII-
Release Date: TBA 2004
Origin: Japan
Publisher: Square-Enix
Developer: Square-Enix
Pictures:#1,#2,#3
Thumbs:


Phantom Brave- (Stratagy RPG)
Release Date: TBD
Origin: Japan
Publisher: Nippon Ichi
Developer: Nippon Ichi
Pictures: #1,#2,#3
Thumbs:


Phantasy Star-
Release Date: TBD
Origin: Japan
Publisher: Sega
Developer: 3D Ages
Pictures: #1,#2,#3
Thumbs:


Edit #1: Correction- Dragon Warrior VIII thanks to GunmetalXIII,

Message Edited by The One on 04-22-2004 12:08 AM
Edit #2: Inuyasha information added. Front Mission 4 thumb fixed.,

Edit #3: Inuyasha thumb fixed. ,

Message Edited by The One on 04-24-2004 03:32 PM

Message Edited by The One on 04-27-2004 10:28 AM

Message 1 of 13 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 05/14/2003
Offline
1944 posts
 

Re: The Class of 2004- The Role Playing Games (Possible 56k Warning)

Apr 22, 2004
The first game I'd like to talk about on that list is X-Men Legends. Conceptually, unlike all the former action X-men games in the past, the best of whom were on the Genesis, this game is based on cooperation between X-men team members. As this is fundamental to the surivival of the X-men, I really can't believe a teamwork based X-men game wasn't created up to this point. This ACTrpg features a wide variety of level designs forcing you to use a multitude of characters, such as flyers to access parts of the level, and not just concentrate on one favorite character.  Even better, some classic X-men team moves are used in the game, such as the Collosus-Wolverine, toss and cut, where Collosus throws Wolverine at you and then Wolverine does what he does best. The move is fantastic since it strengthens a weakness of both characters, long range attacks. The combo possibilities alone make it seem like a very fun game to play.  
RIP PSMVP StuTDavis
RIP Gaming Lounge

Ex-mvp Guru25
Current games: Beyond the Beyond
Message 2 of 13 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 08/25/2002
Offline
3753 posts
 

Re: The Class of 2004- The Role Playing Games (Possible 56k Warning)

Apr 22, 2004
Drakengard isn't an RPG; it's a hack-and-slash modeled after Dynasty Warriors.
,
 
,
Others to consider:
,
Shadow Hearts 2; much better than the first
Message 3 of 13 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Final Boss
Registered: 01/03/2001
Offline
30058 posts
 

Re: The Class of 2004- The Role Playing Games (Possible 56k Warning)

Apr 22, 2004

,
,
,Zod wrote:
,
Drakengard isn't an RPG; it's a hack-and-slash modeled after Dynasty Warriors.
,
 
,
Others to consider:
,
Shadow Hearts 2; much better than the first

,
,

,
I agree there but there are many that still consider it an RPG, one of those fancy hybrid types.
Formally chaynes...
Message 4 of 13 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
Registered: 07/24/2001
Offline
41471 posts
 

Re: The Class of 2004- The Role Playing Games (Possible 56k Warning)

Apr 22, 2004

Bard's Tale....where to begin to bash this one?  The original series was a never ending dungeon crawl that you never wanted to stop playing.  The deeper you got the better the game was.  This was part III mind you.  Thief of Fate.  This new one I don't know much about but from the looks already i can tell I'm going to be disappointed.  Looks more like an action hack n slash like everything else out these days no? Just because mainly I loved the orginals so much and this obviously isn't going to be like it..  Granted I plan on picking this up no doubt as I will have to see what it is about.  But for now I think back to part III and think of endless nights singing those Bard Songs. 

,

Maybe I'm too biased to judge or talk about this one...lol

,
(((())))))))))))))))))==================================-----
*New Game* Infinite Undiscovery
*New DVD* Protest The Hero
*New CD* System Divide - The Conscious Sedation

(((())))))))))))))))))==================================-----
LoTGD ~!~ RBN ~!~ got xheevos? ~!~ XNA Club ~!~ ** PS Past #1** ~!~ twitter
Message 5 of 13 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 08/25/2002
Offline
3753 posts
 

Re: The Class of 2004- The Role Playing Games (Possible 56k Warning)

Apr 23, 2004

,
,
,chaynes wrote:

,
,
,Zod wrote:
,
Drakengard isn't an RPG; it's a hack-and-slash modeled after Dynasty Warriors.
,
 
,
Others to consider:
,
Shadow Hearts 2; much better than the first

,
,

,
I agree there but there are many that still consider it an RPG, one of those fancy hybrid types.
,
,

,
Probably mainly because it's a Squeenix game.
Message 6 of 13 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 05/14/2003
Offline
1944 posts
 

Re: The Class of 2004- The Role Playing Games (Possible 56k Warning)

Apr 23, 2004

,
,
,iruhl wrote:
,

Bard's Tale....where to begin to bash this one?  The original series was a never ending dungeon crawl that you never wanted to stop playing.  The deeper you got the better the game was.  This was part III mind you.  Thief of Fate.  This new one I don't know much about but from the looks already i can tell I'm going to be disappointed.  Looks more like an action hack n slash like everything else out these days no? Just because mainly I loved the orginals so much and this obviously isn't going to be like it..  Granted I plan on picking this up no doubt as I will have to see what it is about.  But for now I think back to part III and think of endless nights singing those Bard Songs. 

,

Maybe I'm too biased to judge or talk about this one...lol

,

,
,

,
The original Bard's Tale on NES was a Masterpiece of First Person dungeon RPGing. The game featured six classes, an interesting Wizardry style battle system, and magical Bard Songs that could be recovered not by sleeping in an inn, but drinking a frosty glass of Root Beer at a Tavern. The game's plot was interesting, its dungeons nightmarish (This was the first game I ever had to heavily map), and tons of items to use and try and figure out what they do. Essentially there was a lot to explore and do in the game.
,
 
,
This Bard's Tale remake seems to have a Baldur's Gate/Diablo look to it. Essentially it looks like just another ACTrpg, in an endless stream of them, and lacks most of the characteristics of the first game, such as traditional turn-based battles, sprawling dungeons, or even six man teams. Its hard for people who've played games of the first Bard's Tale series on NES and PC to not look at this game remake and say that they've taken yet another classic series and taken away everything that made it classic.  
RIP PSMVP StuTDavis
RIP Gaming Lounge

Ex-mvp Guru25
Current games: Beyond the Beyond
Message 7 of 13 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 02/14/2000
Offline
17140 posts
 

Re: The Class of 2004- The Role Playing Games (Possible 56k Warning)

Apr 29, 2004
I would like to say a few words about Final Fantasy XI: Online because it has gone far beyond my expectations. I honestly didn't expect it to be that great, but Square released a PC Quality MMORPG on the console, and I think that is truly amazing because everything before it just wasn't quite there.

However, I do find it kinda funny that Square is going to release an Expansion Pack in the US/Japan this fall because it just seems a little soon for us US HDD owners.

In closing, Final Fantasy XI: Online rocks, and it was well worth the $100.
Message 8 of 13 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Final Boss
Registered: 01/03/2001
Offline
30058 posts
 

Re: The Class of 2004- The Role Playing Games (Possible 56k Warning)

May 2, 2004

,
,
,The One wrote:
I would like to say a few words about Final Fantasy XI: Online because it has gone far beyond my expectations. I honestly didn't expect it to be that great, but Square released a PC Quality MMORPG on the console, and I think that is truly amazing because everything before it just wasn't quite there.

However, I do find it kinda funny that Square is going to release an Expansion Pack in the US/Japan this fall because it just seems a little soon for us US HDD owners.

In closing, Final Fantasy XI: Online rocks, and it was well worth the $100.
,
,

,
Psst lol don't let Deltan hear that, he doesn't like the game. Also looks like you are on the same server as myself and some other boards vets too which is cool. I personally like the game lol as long as I don't die too much and go backwards in exp .
Formally chaynes...
Message 9 of 13 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 02/14/2000
Offline
17140 posts
 

Re: The Class of 2004- The Role Playing Games (Possible 56k Warning)

May 3, 2004


chaynes wrote:


The One wrote:
I would like to say a few words about Final Fantasy XI: Online because it has gone far beyond my expectations. I honestly didn't expect it to be that great, but Square released a PC Quality MMORPG on the console, and I think that is truly amazing because everything before it just wasn't quite there.

However, I do find it kinda funny that Square is going to release an Expansion Pack in the US/Japan this fall because it just seems a little soon for us US HDD owners.

In closing, Final Fantasy XI: Online rocks, and it was well worth the $100.


Psst lol don't let Deltan hear that, he doesn't like the game. Also looks like you are on the same server as myself and some other boards vets too which is cool. I personally like the game lol as long as I don't die too much and go backwards in exp .




Well, I was in a party of 5 people today for well over two and a half hours! It was great because I got tons of good experience as a tank, and I gained 5 levels in my weapon skill.

I am not totally sure how the game will stand the "test of time", but I do think it will be a contender for the RPG of the year. The game has unlimited replay value, is very deep, and it is lots of fun. (I still don't like the forced grouping thing, but once you get in a good group it is well worth the wait.)

I can fully understand why Deltan doesn't like Final Fantasy XI. It is not a game for everyone, but I have been having lots of fun with it so far.

On a side note, what do you guys think of the upcoming expansion? To me, it seems too soon from the NA PS2 perspective, but it should be a good thing in the long run.
Message 10 of 13 (3 Views)
0 Likes