Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 05 2010
By: Brrnout PlayStation MVP 5697 posts

Time Saver Patches, Your View

16 replies 501 views Edited Jun 5, 2010

I know we have all seen them and I for one hate them real bad. I don't understand the point in buying a game for 60 bucks and then paying an extra 5 for the game to... uhh win itself.

Now stop me if this doesn't make sense. But we buy games to enjoy the game. Meaning to play the game as much as possible before we either win everything or get bored or both. But the point is to play the game. Now why would you buy a patch (for lets say, Split/Second) to unlock every car and track in the game? In other words beating the entire game before you've even played it at all!

When I first saw this for Burnout Paradise I literally laughed my head off. I thought that in no way were people going to spend money on getting an instant 100%. It was absurd. It just sounded like a very bad marketing plan. So I was stunned when I found out that lots of people had in fact bought it! Perhaps I am misunderstanding the concept of this.

It does have other repercussions as well. For example when Split/Second just came out I went online to race and because in that game it can help a lot if you have a fast car. All those who bought the patch were instant winners while everyone else was stuck far behind with no way of competing. This drove me away from online pretty quick at first. It just didn't seem fair on top of all this that they would be able to use their cheaply earned cars online. It's like they were using cheat codes.

But my view is that, perhaps I don't understand. But I just don't get the absurd concept of letting the expensive game win itself.

Cheers, Brrnout

PS MVPs: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Proud to be an MVP and serving our community since June 2010
Message 1 of 17 (501 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
13339 posts

Re: Time Saver Patches, Your View

Jun 5, 2010

So basically, you are saying that they actually put up DLC for these games and you can unlock certain items through purchase instead of playing through the game? That's ridiculous, I agree. What is the point of buying your way through a game when you could have the nice challenge of unlocking everything yourself without having to pay more?

I haven't seen this done in any of the games i play but I can imagine it happening for racing games. What they could do is put out DLC that you have to work towards getting new vehicles not available in the initial play-through of the game. I would just be like you and decide to not spend the extra five dollars towards unlocking the rest of the game. It's pointless to spend that much money on a game and just cheat to get the rest of the game handed to you.

Message 2 of 17 (501 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1978 posts

Jun 5, 2010

My view is simply this: Why in the hell would i want t purchase a game just to have the company deliver me a cheap way to beat it all?

I can appreciate the fact that there are people who are too busy to play games all day and night. I happen to be one of them. I can even see the positives for those people, but i also understand that there are people who are looking for the easiest way to the top. This method makes it simpler for them. It's also a cheap way to bypass the locked saves.

In any case, my feelings are that i want to get my full play for what i paid. As long as it floats your boat, feel free to indulge.

I will say this...if any of these time saver patches actually affect mulitplayer games, then i would consider it cheating.

Message 3 of 17 (501 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11174 posts

Jun 5, 2010

You know... I've played Split/Second (and Burnout Paradise). Through playing Split/Second online recently it never occurred to me that people were maybe, in a certain light, cheating. The only thought that was running through my head is that somehow these people were exceptionally skilled at the game, and they're already miles ahead of me.

I don't think that the average person will understand that if you don't have a patch that grants you the best vehicles from the start that you won't be just as good a racer as others. I've not bought any downloadable content to eliminate frustration by completing my game before I've gone to the edge myself. When racing others online, I was about halfway through the campaign at this point, where nearly every other car in the race was tuned to perfection, and the one that I had earned through battling the AI just didn't compare.

If developers allow for this to happen, to give a "cheating advantage" in a way to those who don't mind spending the bucks to do so, I don't think that this is right. It's going to turn me off to those imbalanced multiplayer games where I'll keep asking myself, "Why am I the one who continues to suffer?"

Message 4 of 17 (501 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5697 posts

Jun 5, 2010

LightJak007 wrote:

So basically, you are saying that they actually put up DLC for these games and you can unlock certain items through purchase instead of playing through the game? That's ridiculous, I agree. What is the point of buying your way through a game when you could have the nice challenge of unlocking everything yourself without having to pay more?

I haven't seen this done in any of the games i play but I can imagine it happening for racing games. What they could do is put out DLC that you have to work towards getting new vehicles not available in the initial play-through of the game. I would just be like you and decide to not spend the extra five dollars towards unlocking the rest of the game. It's pointless to spend that much money on a game and just cheat to get the rest of the game handed to you.

Are far as I know it's only for a few racing games. Like Burnout Paradise, Split/Second, Need For Speed Shift and also GRID. It was originally an EA idea (Mr.Money bags themselves) but now others are taking the idea too. Perhaps it's just for me in the store, but you can find it directly on the opening page! But it is obvious that people are buying them because new companies are using this as well now.

Cheers, Brrnout

Message 5 of 17 (501 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11832 posts

Jun 5, 2010

I have Burnout: Paradise but I guess I somehow missed that add-on. I went through all of the DLC in the store to see if I would want anything and I don't recall a download that enables the cars to go faster. Plus, I haven't ever really heard of this before, (maybe it's because I rarely play racing games), so I can't really offer my view on the topic.

However, these downloads that you mentioned instantly reminded me of "bonuses" that people get for preordering a game. While this is a different topic, it still has that element of people being able to get ahead of others. For example, the Revenge Booster, one of the last unlocks in Uncharted 2 online, is granted right at the beginning of play with the Gamestop code. I see almost every game now coming out with a "fun perk" like this and I want it to stop.

Anyway, from what it sounds like, this isn't a smart move. Some people are financially tight and maybe aren't able to download an add-on. This obviously isn't fair, unless there was something like a filter for the online portion that pairs people only with or without the add-on. Still, though, it seems like a bad idea.

Message 6 of 17 (501 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5697 posts

Jun 5, 2010

Ok since a few of you are unsure of what I am referring to I thought I would take the liberty to show you a few visuals I took today.

Photobucket

This one gives you all vehicles for S/S for a price of $2.50 CDN

Photobucket

This one for S/S gives you all tracks and all cars for a price of $5 CDN. Hefty price to pay for cars you already have in the game!

Photobucket

This one for Burnout Paradise unlocks everything. For $5 CDN

Photobucket

This one for DiRT 2 unlocks all tracks and vehicles for $5 CDN

Photobucket

This one for Need For Speed Prostreet unlocks all for another $5 CDN

Photobucket

and this one is by far the best. You can unlock every minor thing in the game for a huge price! The one that is highlighted unlocks BODY KITS ONLY and yet it cost $2 CDN! Geez, if that isn't a rip off I don't know what is. That whole page that you can see is all time saver patches all unlocking something else. They even tell you that "Items in this package can be unlocked without purchase by progressing through carear".

As you can see it's mainly EA's idea, but now other developers are creating them. It's pretty shameful if you ask me.

Cheers, Brrnout

Message 7 of 17 (501 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11174 posts

Jun 6, 2010

I did catch sight of the Split/Second bundle about a week or so ago. The Store's description said something about unlocking stuff. I didn't give much thought to the product at the time, as I wasn't about to pay money for supplementing my game.

It's a pity that some developers are willing to sink this low when they're augmenting any player's ability to cheat online in return for money. Come to think of it, this reminds me of that scene in the film The Wizard. You enter Lucas' house to compete in what you only think is a fair fight within Rad Racer... only he has something that you do not: the Power Glove!

"I love the Power Glove. It's so bad."

Message 8 of 17 (501 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
876 posts

Jun 9, 2010

I don't really have a problem giving the players the option to unlock everything at once, as long as: 1) it's limited to the single player game, and 2) it disables related trophies.

Really, its not much different than the cheat codes that have always been around, except now some gaming executives have figured out that some people might be willing to pay for them. I'm not going to sit here and judge those who wish to pay for such a service, since I've certainly used the free options in the past. Sometimes I get frustrated, save my game, use a cheat to unlock every gun and unlimited ammo, then go on a rampage, restoring back to my save when I'm finished venting my wrath against all that obnoxious AI.

Having such cheats available in multiplayer just doesn't seem right though, especially if it provides a distinct advantage to the people who use it. But even when it doesn't provide an advantage, its going to bother a number of people who don't use them. Leaderboard hacks, for example, irritate me. But that's actual cheating. At least with the patches, the players have legitimately paid for that service and its available to everyone with cash to spare, I suppose.

PlayStation MVP
8173 posts

Jun 28, 2010

I've noticed a few companies doing this for different games - not just racing games.

I'm of the opinion that unlocking content in the game is part of the process of actually playing it. I can't imagine buying a game and then actually paying real money to unlock imaginary "stuff" that I could have simply earned by playing the game.

What's worse is that players can purchase their way to the podium so to speak for online games. At least until everyone else catches up.

Message 10 of 17 (501 Views)
0 Likes