Fender Bender
4252 posts

Re: Time Saver Patches, Your View

Nov 21, 2010

First time posting on the MVP boards.Anyway time saver packs in my opinion are cheats when you actually do have the time and skill to actually play through the game. Burnout Paradise's Time Savers pack is used way too often by people who actually do have the time and skill to unlock all the cars. Infact the Time Savers packs for games are exactly the same thing as the unlock everything cheat codes (Except you pay for them) we used to see back in the 6 gen days. For example in Freeksyle (PS2) you could unlock everything by entering this one code. I did use it before but now I hate those cheats. They defeat the whole purpose of the game. Burnout Paradise was a game I really enjoyed getting the cars to. Though many times these people use these packs so they don't lose often online. I don't go online for the first time in many games until I practically complete the thing. I didn't go online in Burnout Paradise until I got my Elite License once pre-update and then again on another save with the current update. Though many times you see people using those packs when they don't want to do something. One of my online friends used the Time Savers pack in Burnout Paradise but only to unlock one single car. They didn't like the Showtime road rules and they used it when the only car they had left to unlock was the Kitano Carbon Hydros Custom. The Time Savers pack in Burnout Paradise though kills some trophy hunters. There are two trophies where you have to shutdown the Carson Inferno Van and the Nakamura SI-7. You can't get those trophies if you already have all the cars unlocked. So to get them you have to unistall the pack and start from scratch and you have to actually "play" the game to shutdown those two cars. So all in all, they are cheats when you use them when you have the time and skill to actually do the stuff in the game.

Note I had been meaning to put this reply in for a while but didn't have the privelages to reply, so sorry if it's a little weird.

Message 11 of 17 (434 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11832 posts

Nov 21, 2010

Videogameaddict2 wrote:

Note I had been meaning to put this reply in for a while but didn't have the privelages to reply, so sorry if it's a little weird.

It's too late to point it out to you now, but if others are reading this, you can always PM an MVP with your response to a thread in this board and they'd be happy to submit it for you.

Message 12 of 17 (434 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

Dec 3, 2010

Well, some gamers these days aren't up to the simplest of challenges and/or willing to put in much effort, so why shouldn't devs cash in on that?  Sorry for not sugarcoating that, but it's true.  I don't fault modern gamers for it either.  The lack of difficulty in modern gaming has raised them to be that way.  When a game comes along that actually challenges players, I'm sure some will give up easily.  They might consider cheating to progress, but hey, that's their choice.  As a gamer who likes to get what he paid for, of course I'll play games completely legit.  I haven't played GTAIV for example, but I've completed all the ps2 entries without cheating.  To me, earning stuff is part of the experience.  I didn't buy a game to have it completed for me.  I didn't buy a game to get part of the experience either.  I want the full experience, or, at least, the full core experience(I don't always 100% games these days).

There was a time in my childhood when I did cheat in games.  But thinking back, all that really told me was that I wasn't capable of completing said game otherwise.  So, as not to disappoint myself since then(since I have nothing to prove to anyone else), I've decided to fall back on my own skill to complete my games.  Which meant I had to train myself so that my skill will allow me to fall back on it.  And sure, there are games that I haven't managed to beat.  But I won't stop trying, to avoid having to admit that I'm not capable of completing them.  To me, cheating is like admitting defeat.  And that's not who I am.  But to each his/her own. 

Message 13 of 17 (434 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
41471 posts

Dec 4, 2010

I think Tiger Woods 07 or 08 was the first game I encountered to do this.  You can buy DLC to max out your stats to 100% on your character.  And yes it sold a ton.  Clearly not for me but certainly some completionists out there will take this quick route.

also in the case of Tiger, each year it gets very repetative building up your character's stats.  Their correction to this is offer a maxed out character up front with a price. 

(((())))))))))))))))))==================================-----
*New Game* Infinite Undiscovery
*New DVD* Protest The Hero
*New CD* System Divide - The Conscious Sedation

(((())))))))))))))))))==================================-----
LoTGD ~!~ RBN ~!~ got xheevos? ~!~ XNA Club ~!~ ** PS Past #1** ~!~ twitter
Message 14 of 17 (434 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2332 posts

Jan 3, 2012

its almost like charging for a cheat code.  im not a fan of it.

www.pressx2start.com

Get your Portable ID!
Message 15 of 17 (434 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5417 posts

Feb 5, 2012

My take on it is that it's annoying for a multiplayer game to have content you have to unlock in single player, but I only really do local multiplayer, not internet. Say for fighting games, where character or color schemes are locked until you do things in single player. If I go out and buy the game the day before my friends come over, thinking it would be nice to have it available for play, I don't want to have to spend the entire time unlocking things for us to play. With older consoles I've always just downloaded a completed save or used a Code Breaker to unlock everything so they don't have to wait. Of course, for most older consoles, you needed unofficial equipment to do that, but at least you only had to buy it once for the life of the console. Paying for every game is lame.

That said, free to play games with paid items are becoming popular, but they don't fare well if the paying people get such an extreme advantage over the people that don't, watch Extra Credits about microtransactions. Was that DLC available on day 1, or did they release it after a few weeks/months for people to have a chance to unlock them legitimately? Day 1 for that DLC just wrecks the online experience.

My PlayStation2 HDD guide.: http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.32

PS2 Model Number and Importing Guide
PS2 HDD Forum (archived)
Message 16 of 17 (434 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
561 posts

Mar 12, 2012

I have to say that for most games I view this as licenced cheating. Unlocking skills/training/weapons in fps games boosts and such in other games. It is buying your way to  ahigher skill level vs playing your way there.

On the flip side... My guilty secret is that I love Mod Nation Racer... but I kinda suck at racing games. With my Vita I have played my way up throur Tour 4, but am having a hard time getting the points to hit Tour 5. Now this would not be a problem normally accept for the Modding portion of the game... I want the unlocks and the special kit to build my Karts, Mods, and Tracks. But if I keep getting stomped in the races that is not gonna happen. Already in Tour 3 I have missed most of the unlocks requiring 1st place finishes.

So I admit that once I finally get into tour 5 and run those races a few times, I may purchase the full unlock so I can get all the bitz. I see this as different then some of the other unlocks, because it will not improve my driving skills, won't give me special advantages over other players, and infact will only annoy my wife when she finds out... But I will get to decorate my Kart ANY WAY I WANT. so there... (I am not whining...really, I'm not).

So yeah, if the unlocks bestow play advantages, especially in online play, they are cheating. but in the case of builder games like LBP and ModNation where the unlock offers no real playtime advantages, they can serve a purpose to the player while not sacrificing playability for others.

Alacrity

AlacrityFitz Trophy Card
Message 17 of 17 (434 Views)
0 Likes