Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 29 2004
By: RatmanG73 Shinra Executive 45016 posts

What is the most important thing about a game that makes it great to you?

11 replies 3 views Edited Apr 29, 2004
Graphics?
Replayability?
Storyline?
Controls?
Genre?

For me it's gotta be genre, I just love military games and will problably play even a bad one to try somehing different.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3115 posts

Re: What is the most important thing about a game that makes it great to you?

Apr 29, 2004
Can there be gameplay? Gameplay has to be fun or I wont like it. I like all genres but if that game isnt fun to me then I wont like it.,
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7838 posts

Apr 29, 2004

,CNNboy wrote:
Graphics?
Replayability?
Storyline?
Controls?
Genre?

For me it's gotta be genre, I just love military games and will problably play even a bad one to try somehing different.

It depends on the Genre. In an RPG it would be Storyline, in an Action/Adventure it would be a combo of Storyline & Gameplay/Controls, in a FPS it would be Controls and Graphics. And this would probably change from game to game, but this is what I generally look for in games.

-Griever_08

http://goo.gl/SjUkM
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4026 posts

Apr 29, 2004

,CNNboy wrote:
Graphics?
Replayability?
Storyline?
Controls?
Genre?

Gameplay, storyline and controls... I have to be interested enough in the storyline to play it, the gameplay has to be fun - and as long as the controls don't have any bugs - (Tomb Raider-AOD comes to mind) I"m happy...

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8363 posts

Apr 29, 2004
Replayability, and fun factor. They actually kind of go hand in hand, as more fun will promote more replayability. And that's what keeps me coming back to a game more than anything.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10152 posts

Apr 30, 2004

I really am a story nazi, because without a story, I find it difficult to play almost anything. I just require some incentive to play a game, and unless I'm playing it with friends (at which point it becomes pure fun factor, and that in itself can vary greatly from game to game, and occasion to occasion with my friends, lol), then story is about the only thing that keeps me engrossed long enough to play a game through. It's about there being a purpose behind the gameplay, and when that purpose is absent or simply uninteresting, then I say "blah" and move on.

Which is why I require some kind of career mode in my sports games. Because mastering skate parks, conquering race tracks, and mindlessly leveling up fighters just aren't good enough reasons for me to play a game.

So yeah, I'd say storyline is the deciding factor in my video games.
-I know nothing-
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8363 posts

Apr 30, 2004
To me, a story line isn't as important to driving a game as the ability to unlock stuff. I'll always keep playing a game if there's more stuff to unlock.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17939 posts

May 1, 2004

,CNNboy wrote:
Graphics?
Replayability?
Storyline?
Controls?
Genre?

Replayability? Do you mean replay features, or replaying a game once it's beaten? I need a game which can be played over and over again, because I don't purchase a lot of games. I'll be lucky if I buy one or two games a year, they are just so darn expensive! GTA and SOCOM have done a great job doing this, as I had GTA3, then SOCOM 1 replaced it, then GTA: VC, which was then replaced with SOCOM 2, and now I'm back to GTA: VC until GTA: SA comes out
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18787 posts

May 1, 2004

Griever_08 wrote:

CNNboy wrote:
Graphics?
Replayability?
Storyline?
Controls?
Genre?

It depends on the Genre. In an RPG it would be Storyline, in an Action/Adventure it would be a combo of Storyline & Gameplay/Controls, in a FPS it would be Controls and Graphics. And this would probably change from game to game, but this is what I generally look for in games.

I have to agree with Griever. Can't say the same thing for every kind of game; what drives one game, doesn't drive another.

RPG - Story and Battle sysetm is really important
Action/Adventure - Story and Creative levels
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7583 posts

May 3, 2004

,CNNboy wrote:
Graphics?
Replayability?
Storyline?
Controls?
Genre?

For most games it would have to be the storyline, especially for RPG's and action / adventure games.  Without a great storyline those types of games just aren't as fun.  They become more of a challenge to actually finish.   Most RPG's and action games are story driven, after all. 

For racing type games then the graphics and controls would be the most important.  Simply because it adds to the realism of the game and the replay value. 

So basically I guess it just all depends on the genre of game I'm playing on what is most important to me. 

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (3 Views)
0 Likes