Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 04 2010
By: Smellyfir Splicer 85 posts

Just how important are AA batteries...

13 replies 4 views Edited Feb 4, 2010

Think about it, all these do is stop something that happens is once every 5 minutes (if that). But, I & many other SL's/PL's see it as a huge thing to defend. 

I'm not debating that these aren't important, but where do you rank them? 

Message 1 of 14 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1431 posts

Re: Just how important are AA batteries...

Feb 4, 2010
You can spawn in from heli's and planes
Megan Fox - Large Art Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 2 of 14 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
207 posts

Feb 4, 2010

It stops 10 things happeneing that can happen ever 5 minutes (2 from each squad leader and 2 from the Platoon Leader).

More Importantly, it prevents the enemy from spawning any closer to you.

Message 3 of 14 (4 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1105 posts

Feb 4, 2010

If that AAA goes down and stays down, the very first thing that is going to happen to you (assuming a smart platoon) is going to be a precision strike on the bunker the PL hates the most, assuming there are any left. Boom, dead, no defense.

And the enemy is going to either helicopter in or parachute in right next to your bunkers. (Protip: Use that bunker turret on helos. Rocket and minigun.)

Message 4 of 14 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
844 posts

Feb 4, 2010

RagNoRock5x wrote:

It stops 10 things happeneing that can happen ever 5 minutes (2 from each squad leader and 2 from the Platoon Leader).

More Importantly, it prevents the enemy from spawning any closer to you.

Exactly.The forward spawn point is the biggest thing.

And god help you if their OIC recharges the assets while your AA is down. You can get absolutely pounded in a short amount of time if the other team's leaders are competent.

Message 5 of 14 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1511 posts

Feb 5, 2010
yea the antiair is one of the most important things in the game lose it and there is a chance to get pushed all the way back to the letters
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 14 (4 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Feb 5, 2010
the aa batteries will keep attackers from launching certain leader attacks, and will shoot down any troop planes or helicopters, so taking them is very important if attacking on dominatin. If the defenders are pushed back to the main base (the ones that are letters) then repairing the aa can seriously slow down the attackers, and mabye even push them back to the origonal front line.
Message 7 of 14 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
182 posts

Feb 6, 2010
Whats more important? The bunkers defending the AA's. Just repairing the AA's is not enough. If there is no bunekers up to defend it. It will fall sooner rather then later.
Message 8 of 14 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Feb 7, 2010

I rank them as someone elses problem. Never had a squad leader tell me to go defend them, never had a reason to go repair them.

Altho I do admit, camping them can get you some exp esp if you let them plant as you kill them

I R NOOB HEAR ME ROAR

Message 9 of 14 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Feb 7, 2010
I place AA fairly high on my priority list. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the average Raven player seems to understand their tactical value that much. It's already been outlined, but it bears repeating:

Losing your AA gives your enemy an advanced forward position, from which they can strike at vulnerable targets such as Mortars, Sensors, and the back of your bunkers. It opens you up to Bombardment, Precision Strike, and a whole cache of nastiness that can put you and your team in a very bad spot. Thankfully, if you can get a team of engineers to repair it quickly enough, you can usually get it back up and running before the first group hits the ground. The longer it stays down, the worse your field position becomes. It's difficult enough defending on one front, but when the enemy is literally dropping into the middle of the base and overwhelming your assets, it can be extremely difficult to push them out.

In short, AA is possibly the most crucial asset in the game in my opinion. Taking it out should be one of your highest priorities as an attacker, and defending it should be chief amongst duties if you're on the defense.

I think the key to an excellent defense is communication. If you see the AA flashing, tell your team. Get your squad leader to say something to the Platoon leader if he's not present. Most importantly, get your engineers as quickly as possible to the AA, whether it's blown up already or not. They can either disarm it, or get it back and running before the first wave hits. More often than not, it's a lone commando, or maybe two at best, who are attempting to raid your AA, at least in the early stages of the game. Maybe a time when it wouldn't be so bad to have a sniper in the back of the base to provide overwatch on the spot you set the charges.

EDIT - About Bunkers. Generally, as an SL on the defense I let my team know that their primary objective is to simply keep the bunker up and going. If another bunker falls, I try to send an engineer or myself to repair it to get the front up and going. I agree that the relationship between AA and Bunkers is symbiotic: without bunkers, the AA is defenseless, and without AA, the bunkers are in danger of getting overwhelmed on all sides. Usually the decline of a front line starts with the loss of a bunker on the extreme side: either far left, or far right. From there, the attacker can usually send in forces to seize the AA. It's important for the two middle bunkers to be able to provide support to the two outer bunkers, as they are usually the weak point in a defensive line. I'm sure plenty of you have played a game where it's started something like this. First, a bunker on the far side falls. Then, the AA gets dropped and another bunker gets dropped by Precision Strike. Next thing you know, your whole front line has folded and they're at the mission objective. I think a lot of people underestimate how useful APC's can be in reestablishing your front line, or breaking up attackers advancing on the key objective. 
Message Edited by Dowantasaurus on 02-07-2010 01:27 AM
Message 10 of 14 (4 Views)
0 Likes