Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 08 2011
By: DiabloCow First Son 2 posts

Light Machine Guns and advice for a total newbie.

5 replies 33 views Edited Mar 8, 2011

So, I had been playin MAG for a month or so now (dinged 45, got a few achievements, some other few things), and just recently I pulled a me; I deleted my only character last night.  Poof.  No more Platoon Leadering, no more reviving, no more nothing.   Despite being terribly upset with this, I carried on and created another character.  And now I get on to the actual point of my post.

I really like playing a medic (gives nice xp, ups your and your squad's survivability nicely), and I used to play around with the shotgun alot since I had to get up close to the enemy to pick up my teamates.  Not having a shotgun to start out, I opted to take the starter Machine Gun, heavy armor, medikit and grenades.  Well hey! My KDR jumpped well up, and I certainly scored more points than when I first started to use the 12 gauge.  Now, I am really liking the setup, and generally play with it every game.

My questions are these:

- Does this gear setup seem to make sence? (As a medic, I know I have to do a bunch of running around, but with the running perkthingies I think I can still make decent time with heavy armor on.)

- For RAVEN, what are the differences between the different tiers of Machine Guns?

- This is my current setup. Where should I be putting my points to be most effective in such a role?

-  What should I be spending/saving my child p CP for?

- Is it possible to have both a repair and medical kit in the advanced composite armor in addition to a rokkit launcha and LMG?

Any help on the subject would be much appreciated; I am a pretty bad person when it comes to First-person Shooters, so any advice would probably do me real good.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (33 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Re: Light Machine Guns and advice for a total newbie.

Mar 15, 2011

DiabloCow wrote:

So, I had been playin MAG for a month or so now (dinged 45, got a few achievements, some other few things), and just recently I pulled a me; I deleted my only character last night.  Poof.  No more Platoon Leadering, no more reviving, no more nothing.   Despite being terribly upset with this, I carried on and created another character.  And now I get on to the actual point of my post.

I really like playing a medic (gives nice xp, ups your and your squad's survivability nicely), and I used to play around with the shotgun alot since I had to get up close to the enemy to pick up my teamates.  Not having a shotgun to start out, I opted to take the starter Machine Gun, heavy armor, medikit and grenades.  Well hey! My KDR jumpped well up, and I certainly scored more points than when I first started to use the 12 gauge.  Now, I am really liking the setup, and generally play with it every game.

My questions are these:

- Does this gear setup seem to make sence? (As a medic, I know I have to do a bunch of running around, but with the running perkthingies I think I can still make decent time with heavy armor on.)

- For RAVEN, what are the differences between the different tiers of Machine Guns?

- This is my current setup. Where should I be putting my points to be most effective in such a role?

-  What should I be spending/saving my child p CP for?

- Is it possible to have both a repair and medical kit in the advanced composite armor in addition to a rokkit launcha and LMG?

Any help on the subject would be much appreciated; I am a pretty bad person when it comes to First-person Shooters, so any advice would probably do me real good.

It is a fairly commen setup, although disliked for the difficulty to kill. It works nicely on defence, but could see some problemswith attack. Just try staying with it till you have more points to spend.

The lmg is for spraydown, mmg is more damage, but more recoil and spread, while the dlc machine gun isable to damage vehicles and 1-shot head shot people, 3 shot kill otherwise.

Athletics, resistance, and assult tree as well as medic.

-  What should I be spending/saving my child p CP for?

If you hope to stay with lmg, just get grenades, claymores, and some electronice. If you hope to switch to AR in future, invest in the dlc rifle or the atac/ag-94/lw

No. that would be 10+10+9+10+4, well over 40 points. it would be possible if you dropped that advanced to a mesh though.

Overall though, it is a sound strategy for beginners. As you get more skill points though, it may work better to go to ar. The assult rifle is silencable, allowing for much better stealth. If you shoot the lmg, you instantly light up on the minimap for everyone around you. This will happen with any unsilenced weapon. If you do not have a sensor jammer, running also does this.

This may be different for you, but i could never manage to use a lmg again due to the recoil and barrel flash, as i am happily stuck on my gotha. dont think i do to bad either. http://magleaderboards.com/view-player/bluedot55

Still, the knife is a great weapon to use if you can not decide.

No, i will not res you at 100M, quit yelling.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (33 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

Mar 16, 2011

ADD me i have a MiC i will help you.

B. W. M.
Clan Leader WiNNeR$
Clan Tag

R.A.V.E.N.

Get your Portable ID!

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (33 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Mar 22, 2011

lmg are a mid to short range area effect weapon great at controlling chock points. and defence. in a run and gun the assualt rifle is best with med kit. add a silencer on it and you can revive people and engage contacts with out lighting up on the mini map.

If the maps are tight and small the shotgun is best. but you light up and if you get engaged a range your at a big disadvantage.

I have to say its all about your game style.  seen shot gun guys just running the field, I've mowed down a complete squad in a killing zone with a lmg and full mag.  seen a assualt guy with a assualt rifle and gernade launcher take out groups of 3 and 4 tagets with a gernade from the launcher.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (33 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
491 posts

Apr 8, 2011

Generally speaking, everyone should be a medic. You should have a medkit in every single loadout, so there really isn't a "true" Medic class, since I consider everyone to be a medic.

Here are what I consider, the bare bones skill, pretty much any build is safe with these skills as a minimum.

http://www.miscarchives.com/mag/skilltree.html?short=000000-000000-000000-000000-141140-000000-11144...

If you're going to continue with the LMG, I'd probably consider somthing like this

http://www.miscarchives.com/mag/skilltree.html?short=111410-000000-141400-111141-141340-111110-11144...

It sounds like you like repairing so I threw some repair skill in there. Also the Acoustic Locator is a great thing to have so I put skills into that as well. Sensor Jamme is nice for sneaking around, just keep in mind once you fire your LMG, its going to pop up on everyone's screen (since LMG's cant be silenced). Also knife skills are never a bad idea to have since knifing is popular in this game, its good to be able to keep up with everyone else. Obviously any of this can be modified, thats just the kinds of skills I'd grab if I was using an LMG

Also, if you ever decide to try out the shotgun again, I have a link to a pretty good guide I wrote a while back on shotgunning. I need to update it but here are the skills I normall have for my shotgun build.

http://www.miscarchives.com/mag/skilltree.html?short=000000-000000-141440-111141-141440-111212-11144...

As for your question about what seems to be  a repair build, this is the one that I use that you probably could make work.

Shotgun

Pistol

Med-Kit

Repair-Kit

RPG

Advanced Medium Armor

And that all comes out to exactly the right amount of CC. I generally use that loadout all the time whenever I'm defending Domination since theres always SOMTHING that needs to be fixed, and at the very least I can defend myself well because the shotgun is so inexpensive carry. Not to mention the advanced medium armor allows you to get to assets quickly to repair them, while still offering a good amount of protection if you need to fight.

I hope this was helpful!

Be a Better Shotgunner! Check out Pokey's Guide to Effective Shotgun Diplomacy
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (33 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
116 posts

Apr 11, 2011

I use a LMG until I can get a silencer, then my loadouts change to AR's and SMG's. I always carry a medkit in all loadouts and combat roles. I used to use LMG throughout 0-70 lvl career but am now sold on silenced weapons. As a medic you don't want to get to much attention, say by blazing away with a LMG and expending entire mag.

Kill them all and let the gods sort them out.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (33 Views)
0 Likes