First Son
15 posts

Re: Mics: It's not a must have.

May 26, 2010

Sillentskills wrote:

As long as your not a PL or OIC.

SL don't really need one. The few in your command will usually follow a fraggo. Some might even follow a waypoint, but not man SL's use em.

A mic makes things way better. Tactical information, telling your squad exactly what you want to do.

Needed? No. Helpful? Heck yeah!

The only thing you can tell your squadmates is where to go, no strats or intel can be given. All you can hope for is that people move up to the FRAGO and then it's like releasing a pack of wild dogs, you have no coordination and you idea what you're supposed to do.

There's a huge difference between playng with a squad with no mics (or people that are afraid to talk, why even have a mic in the first place then?) and a squad full of mics with everyone communicating.

The most important person to have a mic in your squad is the squad leader, a SL without a mic is worthless most of the time, like in say Sabotage, they set the FRAGO on the objective (which they don't even need to) and that's it.

So, needed to play the game? No.

A very good idea to have a mic and communicate? *Very* much so.

Me and my friend always ask at the beginning of the game "Anyone have a mic?" and 95% of the time we are greete by dead silence. It's down right stupid how few people actually have mics and play MAG, seriously get mics! Not just for this game but every other MP game you play will become much more entertaining to play.

Message 21 of 44 (315 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
743 posts

May 26, 2010

ZhePrime wrote:

Sillentskills wrote:

As long as your not a PL or OIC.

SL don't really need one. The few in your command will usually follow a fraggo. Some might even follow a waypoint, but not man SL's use em.

A mic makes things way better. Tactical information, telling your squad exactly what you want to do.

Needed? No. Helpful? Heck yeah!

The only thing you can tell your squadmates is where to go, no strats or intel can be given. All you can hope for is that people move up to the FRAGO and then it's like releasing a pack of wild dogs, you have no coordination and you idea what you're supposed to do.

There's a huge difference between playng with a squad with no mics (or people that are afraid to talk, why even have a mic in the first place then?) and a squad full of mics with everyone communicating.

The most important person to have a mic in your squad is the squad leader, a SL without a mic is worthless most of the time, like in say Sabotage, they set the FRAGO on the objective (which they don't even need to) and that's it.

So, needed to play the game? No.

A very good idea to have a mic and communicate? *Very* much so.

Me and my friend always ask at the beginning of the game "Anyone have a mic?" and 95% of the time we are greete by dead silence. It's down right stupid how few people actually have mics and play MAG, seriously get mics! Not just for this game but every other MP game you play will become much more entertaining to play.

I know the dead silence part get's annoying, but a SL  or squad with a mic isn't much better than one with out it when defending. When attacking it's more useful, but not a must have by any standards.

Instance: taking out the left side bunker. You could tell half your squad-mates to attack from the left, and half to the right.You could also leave the fraggo as is, set a waypoint and everyone splits up when they get there anyway. 

Mic's are usefull when calling out orders given by command and warning your squad-mates before you set off a barrage, calling out sniper locations, ambushes, etc.

Still, I'd take a squad leader with a motion sensor over one with a mic anyday.

You're right though. A Squad Leader is the most important person to have a mic SQUAD-WISE. I'm anwsering the question GAME-WISE.

Message 22 of 44 (315 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

May 26, 2010

Of course it isn't a must or *needed* since people can play without a mic, but it helps out A LOT and a game so focused on teamplay and you don't have a mic? It just blows my mind how anti-social and not very bright people are.

If I'd have played a slightly more tactical shooter or game I would've kicked anyone without a mic.

And mics are just as good when defending as attacking, why wouldn't they be?

And you prefer to have a SL with a MS over a mic? A commading officer? Anyone (including you) can have a MS, but only one person per squad can be a squad leader.

And remember that the voice chat isn't locked to your squad, you can communicate with platoon leaders etc. as well.

And I'm talking about game-wise as well, you are not doing your team any favours by not having a mic.

There is a huge difference between playing with a full squad with mics and a squad with no mics.

Most people in MAG don't want to work as a team, they don't want to use mics, which is what's so stupid.

But what REALLY annoys me is when people vote to kick people with mics, because they don't want to listen to people talk, that is one of the dumbest things I've seen in a good long time in MP gaming.

Message 23 of 44 (315 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

May 26, 2010

Totally agree that mics are not completely necessary -- in the way they are typically used.

First off, I always have a mic, and I am often quiet. Why? Because I do not have anything MAG related to say, and i do not want to clutter up the net with chatter.

However, the real question to be asked is, If mics are going to be used for mindless chatter during the battle, is it helpful to have them? The problem here is that all the off topic conversations distract and obscure what is really important. Therefore the mic becomes a hinderance to effective tactics instead of an enhancement. What's the point of stating the location of a threat if you can't be heard above the hubub?

Mics are a must have in order for a squad to work cohesively, but it only succeeds if people use them only for tactical purposes. Otherwise, the only way a squad wins the objective is by the sheer chaos they create or by the incompetence of the enemy.

Message 24 of 44 (315 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
743 posts

May 27, 2010

I allways have a motion sensor. A squad leader is usually with his squad, so a motion sensor would do them good. You can't call where the enemy will come from if your right in front of them, but a motion sensor can.

When defending, what can you say to your squad. If it's not small talk, then I could see SL telling them the enemies are at the bunker or their setting a charge, which most would know when they're being spawned. I explained a wee bit last post.

Your not exactly doing your squad any favours by having a mic. Higher than SL need one. They don't have the all mighty FRAGGO (or waypoints) to assist them in their efforts.

The number of people on all platoons and their skill level is a huge diffrence. Mics have little to do with it. We would've won against SVER if a whole bunch of people hadn't left as soon as the BT's  were captured.

Now that i'm thinking about it. If your SL and are back far enough to give out exact enemy locations all game, your not doing your job. Most people in M.A.G. are team-players, most don't use mics. I wouldn't be using one if it wern't for it being included with Warhawk.

I've kicked plenty of people for talking. Have you tried to play a game with 8 year olds (with whiney voices to boot) whose every single sentence has three ? It's mighty hard to talk over them.

Message 25 of 44 (315 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
136 posts

May 27, 2010

So much bla bla. Of course you can play MAG with-out a mic.  You can also walk all the way from the east coast to the west coast by feet.  But is it the best choice?

In MAG there are little to no means of communication other than the mic. The FRAGO and waypoint clearly are not enough!

Communication is exchange of information.

And information is key in MAG!

The more tactics and team-play is required in a mode, especially Acquisition and Domination, the bigger disadvantages has the side with less comms. This is no *bleep*ing CoD where lonely wolves with 100:1 KDR can achieve anything for a victory.

But however, do as you please.  Save the 10 bucks and save yourself from the better experience. Your life, your decision. Just don't spread unreasonable excuses under what superspecial conditions it may be no real disadvantage to have no mic.

I'm sooo happy that I play many times with clans where everyone has a mic and that makes a real difference -  game-wise and for my personal entertainment.

Message 26 of 44 (315 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
743 posts

May 27, 2010

If you walked you could enjoy the scenery a bit longer. Not sure what that has to do with M.A.G. though...

Comms don't make as big a diffrence as everyone claims. If you have enough skilled players that don't try to snipe the entire game (that's right, keep sniping from the top of the bunker while a charge is being set. SOMEONE will ALLWAYS get to it), you can win against an enemy force with mics. The best use i've found for it is to alert your company when a tactical refresh is coming.

100:1 KDR seems like hampering the enemy. About 5 minutes worth. This is alot. I can't count how many times in Dom where we won or lost in the last minute.

Message 27 of 44 (315 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
288 posts

May 28, 2010

I think a mic is necessary if you want to make the game a hell of a lot easier as a leader. Yeah you can tell the troops you command things with fragos and waypoints, but the experience changes substantially with a mic. I've led Valor to a victory as a squad leader and platoon leader in Aquisition. No lie, I've won just over 70% of the battles in Aquisition as a leader. We all know how much Valor likes to take it in the you know what in that mode. Yeah, I've sometimes had to disobey the platoon leader. Valor you're not my favorite PMC, but you really need advice... sad... Here's the thing about your Aquisition map. Keep the bunkers, AAA, and sensor ray up for as long as you can. Once the enemy destroys those don't bother repairing them, just fall back and your focus is supposed to be on the gates. Then the battery and motor pools. I promise you that if you keep those up and attack enemy vehicles as soon as you spot them you will be impressed with how many contracts you get. Raven... you're just a lost cause.

Zipper presents... M.assive A.ction G.ame, starring... M.ore A.ngry G.amers!
Message 28 of 44 (315 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
118 posts

Aug 28, 2011

Mic's change a game a lot, but even with mic's most people don't play as a team (play with more randoms if you disagree). However, if people do play as a team, a better squad leader without a mic is better than a horrible squad leader with one. You can still lead using waypoints and fragos creatively, and at least hold a group together in a strategic location. That is, of course, if they follow a waypoint, which is an interesting challenge in itself.

Platoon leaders and Company leaders - you can't even do your normal role without a mic. There is no way to communicate with anyone on your team that you're leading. The powers of those roles is meaningless if you can't coordinate with other platoon leaders and squad leaders.

Message 29 of 44 (315 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6232 posts

Aug 28, 2011

Dont need a mic on eazymode

Photobucket
Message 30 of 44 (315 Views)
0 Likes