Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sackboy
491 posts

Re: Pokey's Guide to Effective Shotgun Diplomacy

Aug 14, 2010

In all honesty I've been up to my eyeballs in work the last few days and haven't even had to time to turn on my PS3, much less try the patch. Hopefully I'll get a bit of time tomorrow to play a few games and see how the shotgun is running now.

Be a Better Shotgunner! Check out Pokey's Guide to Effective Shotgun Diplomacy
Please use plain text.
Message 70 of 100 (317 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1573 posts

Aug 23, 2010

The shotgun is so bloody frustrating. especially after the patch. You have to be literally three feet away from someone to get a headshot on them, and heavy armoured people just turn around when you pump two shots into them from ten feet away and headshot you with their LMGs. I know it's mainly because I don't do that good with it, but no matter what the situation is, at what range, you usually die facing three or more enemies when you use the shotgun, even in a narrow corrder from ten feet away. They just don't die. Again, I need to get better, so I ask you this, Pokey. What do I need to do to successfully kill a large amount of enemies at one time? When I attack an objective, I usually get stuck facing three guys. By the time I kill one, I die. What do I need to do to make sure that I can kill them all?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 71 of 100 (317 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4669 posts

Aug 23, 2010

Takoulya wrote:

The shotgun is so bloody frustrating. especially after the patch. You have to be literally three feet away from someone to get a headshot on them, and heavy armoured people just turn around when you pump two shots into them from ten feet away and headshot you with their LMGs. I know it's mainly because I don't do that good with it, but no matter what the situation is, at what range, you usually die facing three or more enemies when you use the shotgun, even in a narrow corrder from ten feet away. They just don't die. Again, I need to get better, so I ask you this, Pokey. What do I need to do to successfully kill a large amount of enemies at one time? When I attack an objective, I usually get stuck facing three guys. By the time I kill one, I die. What do I need to do to make sure that I can kill them all?

I usually stay behind things when taking out large groups. Pop out and kill one person, then be gone.

Please use plain text.
Message 72 of 100 (317 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1573 posts

Aug 23, 2010

whitefox_black wrote:

Takoulya wrote:

I usually stay behind things when taking out large groups. Pop out and kill one person, then be gone.

Yeah, it's just that sometimes cover isn't an option. It's those time that you really feel that it shouldn't have taken three shots to kill that one guy from five metres away.

Please use plain text.
Message 73 of 100 (317 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4669 posts

Aug 24, 2010

Takoulya wrote:

whitefox_black wrote:

Takoulya wrote:

Yeah, it's just that sometimes cover isn't an option. It's those time that you really feel that it shouldn't have taken three shots to kill that one guy from five metres away.

When I know im about to be blasted, I just hold triangle...

poor mans covor

Please use plain text.
Message 74 of 100 (317 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Aug 24, 2010

Good information here. I especially like the straffing technique that allows you to not be hit and still take the opponent down. 

Please use plain text.
Message 75 of 100 (317 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1573 posts

Aug 24, 2010

whitefox_black wrote:

Takoulya wrote:

whitefox_black wrote:

Takoulya wrote:

poor mans covor

Yeah, I try that a lot, but lying down doesn't exactly give you the best angles to kill people at shotgun range with. Either way, I'm getting better, but the shotgun still has problems. For example, I was attacking Valor's Domination map as Raven. At the objective room of C, there was a guy behind the railing behind the console. I literally shot four blasts to hit chest-head area and he didn't die. In the same match, same rail, I climbed up the stairs to see two guys, one guy out of the way, not noticing me, and the other with heavy armour and an Assault Rifle. Him being the obvious danger, I shoot two blasts at him, he doesn't die but rather proceeds to headshot me with the AR leaving me with no kills. It's those moments that frustrate me oh so greatly.  Most of the times when I strafe or circle an enemy, they have an LMG and continue to spray at me and get random headshots just before I kill them. This usually leaves them with about twenty bullets remaining in the magazine.

Please use plain text.
Message 76 of 100 (317 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4669 posts

Aug 24, 2010

Takoulya wrote:

whitefox_black wrote:

Takoulya wrote:

whitefox_black wrote:

Takoulya wrote:

poor mans covor

Yeah, I try that a lot, but lying down doesn't exactly give you the best angles to kill people at shotgun range with. Either way, I'm getting better, but the shotgun still has problems. For example, I was attacking Valor's Domination map as Raven. At the objective room of C, there was a guy behind the railing behind the console. I literally shot four blasts to hit chest-head area and he didn't die. In the same match, same rail, I climbed up the stairs to see two guys, one guy out of the way, not noticing me, and the other with heavy armour and an Assault Rifle. Him being the obvious danger, I shoot two blasts at him, he doesn't die but rather proceeds to headshot me with the AR leaving me with no kills. It's those moments that frustrate me oh so greatly.  Most of the times when I strafe or circle an enemy, they have an LMG and continue to spray at me and get random headshots just before I kill them. This usually leaves them with about twenty bullets remaining in the magazine.

Its super situational i guess.

but diving to the ground and popping back up to shoot works when all else fails, at least for me.

Since the shotty does best up close, try to run at your target while keeping everyone else behind him, that way you have some covor :robotwink:

Please use plain text.
Message 77 of 100 (317 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
491 posts

Aug 24, 2010

Takoulya wrote:

The shotgun is so bloody frustrating. Especially after the patch. You have to be literally three feet away from someone to get a headset on them, and heavy armored people just turn around when you pump two shots into them from ten feet away and headset you with their Alms. I know it's mainly because I don't do that good with it, but no matter what the situation is, at what range, you usually die facing three or more enemies when you use the shotgun, even in a narrow corrder from ten feet away. They just don't die. Again, I need to get better, so I ask you this, Pokey. What do I need to do to successfully kill a large amount of enemies at one time? When I attack an objective, I usually get stuck facing three guys. By the time I kill one, I die. What do I need to do to make sure that I can kill them all?

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been very busy.

I know that the shotgun is not quite as effective as it was post 1.07 so you might be struggling with it a bit more than before. Aside from what I've listed, a tactic I've been employing lately is not necessarily using the shotgun to get the kill, but more to "soften" the target up for an easy knife kill. The shotgun blast may not kill them, but it will lower their health enough to where a followup knife attack will.

As for taking out large groups of enemies, I cannot stress enough importance of lineing them up. Putting an enemy between you and an another enemy, essentially makes that enemy in the back non-existent, hell if you're lucky he'll put a few friendly bullets into his friend's back while trying to shoot you. Once you line then up, suddenly a group of enemies is now a series of single enemies that you can take out one at a time.

Also, try to use the element of surprise! Approach enemies from the back or side! By the time they react, half of them will be dead. I remember one time I was attacking Copper Hills, and there were literally 4 Valor guys standing at the top of the staircase shooting their LMGs down into the supply room. I backtracked and made my way up that left hand side and went in through the hole in the wall next to where they were standing in a neat little line for me. I casually strolled up, knifed the first guy, head shotted the second guy, by the time the 3rd guy realized I was there he was dead, and the 4th managed to fire about 2 bullets before he got his face blown off. So basically I single handedly took out 4 guys at the cost of a few rounds and 20 health because I caught them off guard.

Point of the matter is, you need to be smart about when and where you attack. You need to be hyper aggressive, but don't let that make you think its wrong to make a tactical retreat and approach the enemy from a different angle. Just remember, if your targets don't know you're there, do not fire until the absolute last second. Also, if you walk into a room and say there are 3 people, but only one is facing towards you, target that one first! Prioritize your targets and get as close are you can before shooting and letting them know you're there.

Finally, remember. All weapons have their strengths and weaknesses. There are going to be situations where having a shotgun is not the ideal weapon choice, and others where it'll flat out get you killed. Narrow corridor with 3 guys facing you and you're 50m away? Yeah, you're probably screwed. You just need to know where to expect these sorts of situations, and let your teammates with different weapons handle it.

Best of luck out there! I'm still stuck doing my 1000 Sniper and SMG kills -_-

Be a Better Shotgunner! Check out Pokey's Guide to Effective Shotgun Diplomacy
Please use plain text.
Message 78 of 100 (317 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
201 posts

Aug 24, 2010
just keep moving got a 12 killstreak at a raven bunker when i planted a charge (killed those near it before hand) then proceeded to run around and blow the hell out of 7 of them and knifed the other 2(assuming he was from a different bunker) just dont stop running and run in erratic zig zags to hit poeple from behind if a guy is faceing you either run around the corner and wait for him to follow or risk a fight
Please use plain text.
Message 79 of 100 (317 Views)
0 Likes