Mar 22 2011
By: ComancheNative Lombax Warrior 209 posts

Tricks of the Trade

17 replies 63 views Edited Mar 22, 2011

These Tips are based on my experience while playing MAG. I have played all three factions in this order: Valor / Raven / S.V.E.R. I still feel I haven't learned enough to be an expert. I hope these Tips come in handy.

• Running out of bullets? Here is a nice trick to get your bullets refilled. Once you kill an enemy just trade guns with them then quickly change the gun back before they disappear. Your bullets will be fully refilled. This tip is for those who wish to keep the gun they have. (Note) This only works for the bullets. 

• A Powerful Flash Bomb: If you really want to blind your enemy then throw down a smoke bomb then wait until the smoke is released then throw a flash bomb. Total white out. Be careful cause you can blind your team if that happens just look at your mini map to help you find your way. (Note) To prevent yourself from being blinded look away after you throw the flash bomb.

• Behind enemy lines: To get behind enemy lines without being seen, you need to have Sensor Jammer and Motion Sensor equiped. (You can do this without Motion Sensor on but you have to have Sensor Jammer on) Once you are behind enemy lines you need to taking down the big stuff before trying for the AAA. Taking down the Mortar and Sensoray is 20 exp each. You only get 10 exp for gates. (The Gates will just slow you down. I suggest taking down all the Mortars & Sensorays) Keep in mind once you put charges on anything behind enemy lines there will be a repairers running to that spot so be quick. If you want to take down the AAA I suggest doing it but after you set charges you have to run to a nice spot to keep an eye on the AAA so you can kill anyone trying to disarm your charges.

• Grenade Tip 1: If you have grenades with you when your running from an enemy. Instead of throwing them at the person who is running after you (making it very easy for them to run past the grenades) instead throw them at your feet while you are still running. As you run past the grenades the enemy will unknowingly run up to your grenades and boom your number 1 on his hit list. Also keep in mind if you kill anyone behind enemy lines you have 10 to 20 seconds before the word spreads and his re-spawns.

Note: This only works if you are running around buildings. Most of the time this won’t work in the open but it does make them stop running after you. Some might say why is he running after you when he can shoot you. There have been many cases where you seen someone running around a building after one person. Why they do it? Maybe they want a knife kill or maybe they just like running after someone.

• Grenade Tip 2: Everyone loves using them but sometimes when you toss your grenades your teammates always seem to get in the way or just run toward them. Its not their fault or yours its just a draw of chance but you can fix that problem if it happens in a close area. Lets say you just tossed your grenade and your teammates are standing right on top of it. I know what your thinking here comes that -10 for team killing.  True if you just stand there doing nothing about it. All you have to do is run to your grenade that you just tossed and stand on top of it. It will kill you instead of your teammates. Yeah I know its a high price to pay but its better then getting that -10 and VTK action you get for just doing nothing about a mistake.

•  Trick the enemy  tip: Grenades & Flashbomb have the same icon when they are tossed. Most of the time the enemy can't tell which is which. When you toss a Flashbomb they run from it cause they think its a Grenade. You can trick them by using them. In this order: Flash Bomb then Grenade. Once the flash bomb goes off they won't run from the 2nd bomb you toss because they think its a Flash Bomb. 

• Trick Tip for Exp: Flash Bombs & Gas Grenades can earn you 20 to 30 asst kills. If you use them when your team is doing a strike you can earn alot of exp in asst alone. Both Flash & Gas Grenades earn 3 xp when a teammate kills the enemy who is under the Flash & Gas effects you cast.  (Yeah I said Cast)

• The respawn timer: There is a two number delay once you bleed out. If you bleed out when the timer is at 4 it will count 3, 2. If you bleed out at 3 it will count to 2,1.

Medics: (To be a good Medic is to put healing before killing all the time. The Value of being a Medic is very high in MAG)

• A tip for the medics: Don’t stand in one spot. Keep moving. Laying down is helpful if you are in grass or around a corner of a building but laying out in the open is not safe at all. Also if your med is fully charged then you can do a run by rez meaning you keep running when you hit the rez button. If you see anyone who is about to die hit them with rez before they do. Note: If your quick enough you can bring someone back to life after they got hit by a grenade.

• Tip for someone waiting to get rez by a medic: If you see the medic coming don’t watch him cause when you are rezed, you will be facing him. Once you see the medic coming look in the direction you want to run. The key is run. If you know there are enemies around and you didn't tell the medic on the mic, then once you are rezed run for it. Run for the enemy or away from them. I know its easier for the person getting rezed to have the medic take everyone out for them 1st but most of the time it doesn’t turn out too well for the medic.

• Tips for calling a Medic: Yelling out "Medic" over the mic is a good way to get any Medic's attention. Yell out "Blue Dot heal me" doesn't work very well most of the time Medics think your talking to other people.

Electronics: (Having Electronics on can make or brake your team)

• Acoustic Locator. It amplifies and locates enemy gunfire, providing enhanced threat detection. The locator highlights enemy weapon fire on the CNI and minimap at far greater ranges then normal. This is true. If your enemy has Sensor Jammer on and you have Acoustic Locator on you will see the enemy when they fire. If they have a Suppressor on their weapon it makes no difference you will see them when they fire. You can only do this if you have the Acoustic Locator on. How do I know this? I stood behind a enemy sniper who had a Suppressor on and they still showed up on the minimap when they fired. This works for your whole team BTW.

• Explosives Detector: Gives the engineer the ability to see mines at a longer range, even when blocked by terrain or solid objects. This is true and it works for your whole team until they die that is.

• Sensor Jammer: This device cloaks the soldier and any nearby squad mates from enemy sensors. This is true if your squad has Suppressors on their weapons and they don’t run (unless they all have Improved Stealth) or talk on the mic while moving to the objective.

• Motion Sensor: Detects nearby enemy movement and displays the data on the minimap and CNI. It does not detect non-moving (or dead) enemies. This is true and it works for the whole team. But if the enemy has a Suppressor on and they aren’t moving they will not show up on the minimap. Funny thing about this electronics. Sometimes when the enemy isn’t moving and they are fireing a weapon with out a Suppressor on they will show up on the minimap. Also if the enemy has a Suppressor on and has Improved Stealth they won’t show up on the minimap at all.
  •  Tip for the Sensor Jammer and Motion Sensor users: Yes it is true you have to walk for the Sensor Jammer to work properly but what some players don’t know is that you have to be silent on the mic as well. If your chatting or have someone in your group chatting while the group is walking to the destination the one on the mic is giving away your location. Now its not clear if they show up as a red dot on the enemies mini map. What I can tell is that they can hear you on the mic and if you are close enough they will look around for your location. Combining Sensor Jammer and Motion Sensors helps your team out a lot but it can hinder them as well. Though you are helping your team out by showing them the enemies, your team might go into an over kill mode which makes them run after enemies and forget to do the objective. Now its true if you are wearing both of these items, you have to wear light armor. Its wise to stay in the back and heal instead of running in and getting killed. Once you re-spawn the Sensor Jammer and Motion Sensor wears off leaving your team blind in some spots. Now I know some might say these items do not work but that isn’t true at all they work and they work very well. I do suggest if you are a repairer you have Sensor Jammer equiped it does make a big differences. 

(Side Note) Having improved stealth lets you run while having Sensor Jammer on.

Armor & Weapons

• Armor: I found out that the legs are the weakest spot besides the head in most armor. Heavy armor's weak spot is the Head.

• Weapons: If you max out and put add-ons on your weapon it can be very powerful. (Note: Having a Fore-grip isn't as good as having a Bipod. Having a Suppressor on your weapon can hide you well but maxing out to Improved Suppressors 3 is wise)

• Knifing: Only misses when your enemy is backing away from you while they are firing. If you maxed out your knifing skill and it still seems to lack the power then try shooting at them then knifing it should take them down. (Note: The Knifing in MAG has been nerfed so much it still might need some fixing)

Sabotage Tricks

• Clan tricks for Sabotage: Most clans act out one trick when attacking Sabotage and that is everyone run down the middle of A, B to make their away to C. Once at C some clan members will run up behind A and B to take it over while the others wait at C for it to open up to set charges. This trick works most of the time because the ones defending A, B are looking at the spawn point for the enemy and never think to watch behind A, B or keep an eye on the middle between A, B. This trick is very powerful but lacks in the Exp. By rushing the win they miss out on a lot of Exp. The fact that the Exp for this trick is so low makes this trick skill less to perform.

Dom Tips

• OIC Tips for defending: If an OIC misses a spawn it can make a big difference in defending their map. If the OIC is defending its important that they equip items that help out their squad the most. Having Sensor Jammer and Motion Sensor adds to the OIC skill, which makes any squad the OIC is near more powerful then the other squads. When defending the OIC should use up all of their tact skills before the letters open up. Jamming the enemies network / Sensor sweep / reinforcement deploy / Tact refresh . The order in which these must take place is very important but changing up reinforcement deploy before Sensor Sweep doesn’t seem to matter too much. The OIC must keep in mind that the order in which they use their tact skills will also be the order in which their skills come back online. If the OIC is fast enough they can re-jam the enemies network 3 times. It is possible to jam the attacking OIC this much. You have to keep in mind the attacking OIC is very busy and almost never rechecks their map to see how the battle is going. If a letter is starting to be taking over its up to the OIC to run to that location and help that squad retake that letter and yes this means for every letter that is being taking over the OIC must help out that spot. If the OIC doesn’t run to the falling letter location then the OIC isn’t doing their job. The OIC must never be a repairer nor should the OIC be just a straight healer with out any Electronics on. If the defending OIC loses and blames others for the lost then that OIC isn’t a good one.

(NOTE: On the any Dom map the OIC is the most powerful one. If you follow the OIC his or her OIC skill will help you out more then being with the PL or SL. Its important to know that the OIC doesn’t have to use a mic, if they know what they are doing and recheck their map. It is a plus tho if the OIC does use a mic.)

If these tips have already been posted my bad.

Check out my Y.T Vids

MAG (Valor VS S.V.E.R)

MAG's New Beta (PS3)

Listing of other Tips posted on this thread by other people. Click on the link below.

(I will only list the ones that seem to be helpful)

NO HOME EVENT IS A BAD ONE! (03/23/09)
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 18 (63 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Re: Tricks of the Trade

May 24, 2010

How's this for a trick of the trade?

See that wounded guy on the ground right there? Heal him even if he's not on your squad.

If you don't have the upgraded Rez kit you should, it's great to get healed but fully healed is awesome.

See those 9 bad guys around your one wounded guy? Kill them before you heal the wounded guy especially if you don't have the upgraded rez kit.

Want double XP all the time? stay close to your frag'd objective.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 18 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

May 27, 2010

How about this:

1. Shoot accurately for the head or center mass.
  2. Work with your squad
  3. Use your mic if you have one or listen if you don't
  4. The objective is more important then your kill death ratio
  5. Don't tea bag.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 18 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4669 posts

May 28, 2010

CurlyJ49 wrote:

How's this for a trick of the trade?

See that wounded guy on the ground right there? Heal him even if he's not on your squad.

If you don't have the upgraded Rez kit you should, it's great to get healed but fully healed is awesome.

See those 9 bad guys around your one wounded guy? Kill them before you heal the wounded guy especially if you don't have the upgraded rez kit.

Want double XP all the time? stay close to your frag'd objective.

These are pretty self explanitory.

The OP made some good points though, not many people seem to know you can switch weapons twice to refill ammo. This has saved me many a times.

As for the smoke/flash combo, ill have to try it. Ive been flashed in smoke before and it is pretty blinding.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 18 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
743 posts

May 30, 2010

Every time I think I have the perfect place to use a Flash and I do, I wait until I hear the bang and the small white outline then rush in with my shotty. It turns out that it was someone else's that went off or it went off right after mine because I'm always ending up with a blinding white light.

Son, I am disappoint:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 18 (63 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 2, 2010

the big thing i have seen is the newbies going for the cool off towers before going for the bunkers. When I am a squad leader I say over the mic...."bunker bunker....tripple A"  that way if I am jammed by enemy sensors, my team at least knows where to start.......

My main point is...the cool off towers wont kill you and a bunker will. So FOCUS on the bunkers and the colling towers will fall.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 18 (63 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1016 posts

Jun 3, 2010

firelightning1 wrote:

How about this:

2. Work with your squad
  5. Don't tea bag.

Love it :smileyvery-happy:!!!!!!!!

Joel's has superhuman hearing due to his integrated Astro A40's :3
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 18 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Jun 3, 2010

Oh, oh, how about this:

Don't eat yellow snow, and don't buy solar powered flashlights!

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 18 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
780 posts

Jun 4, 2010

firelightning1 wrote:

How about this:

2. Work with your squad
  5. Don't tea bag.

Unless they tea bag you first.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 18 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4669 posts

Jun 4, 2010

BlackSoulBlade wrote:

firelightning1 wrote:

How about this:

2. Work with your squad
  5. Don't tea bag.

Unless they tea bag you first.

Exactly. You gotta bag that guy who had the guts to bag you and thought he could get away with it.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 18 (63 Views)
0 Likes