Jan 19 2011
By: bucherman7 Sackboy 481 posts

How to run through Mass Effect 2 Perfectly (minor spoilers)

19 replies 5824 views Edited Jan 19, 2011

I've played through ME2 enough times now that I think this short walkthrough will help a lot of people (especially trophy hunters)

First off, play the game as you normally would, there isn't really anything to miss at the beginning.

Then, when you get your first batch of recruiting missions, get Mordin first, that way you can start researching early.

After that just play the game, go through missions and recruit people, etc.

Eventually you will be approached by the people you have recruited, and they will ask for a favor, a would hold off on doing Jack, Miranda, and Tali's till later one.

When you get the mission to go retrieve the "Reaper IFF" DO NOT do it, not yet.

At this point do every single mission, side mission, loyalty mission, and mine, mine mine BUT hold of on doing ONE persons loyalty mission.

After you do everything you can, and your ship is all upgraded, etc. do the "Reaper IFF" mission (where you acquire legion)

Then you'll want to do your final characters loyalty mission

After that you'll want to talk to legion and do his loyalty mission.

Finally you can finish the game...

If I have been unclear in any of these instructions just ask, I don't feel like I should spoil any of the end mission tips with the PS3 game only been out one day though... but if you think about the instructions logically and make good choices you should end the game successfully.

Message 1 of 20 (5,824 Views)
Wastelander
907 posts

Re: How to run through Mass Effect 2 Perfectly (minor spoilers)

Jan 19, 2011

I've played through ME2 about four times on the PC and would say that your mini-walkthrough is pretty spot on but I have to ask about :

bucherman7 wrote:

At this point do every single mission, side mission, loyalty mission, and mine, mine mine BUT hold of on doing ONE persons loyalty mission.

Are you saying you held off on a specific person's loyalty and just don't want to give away the name, or do you just mean in general leave one loyalty mission open? Honestly, I can't remember this being an issue but I've been playing a tonne of PC games sense my last ME2 run so I could have forgotten.

Message 2 of 20 (5,824 Views)
Sackboy
481 posts

Jan 21, 2011

any persons loyalty mission, if you dont (SPOILERS) your team will get snagged by the collectors and the people on the normandy will get killed if you take too long to chase them down

Message 3 of 20 (5,824 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
310 posts

Jan 21, 2011

Um your strategy is a bit flawed. For one you should do everything possible that affects the end game before the Reaper IFFmission. Side missions don't really matter as they can be done post end game in most cases unless you really just screw up. Legion's loyalty should be the last thing you do period before the last mission. Having two loyalty missions before the last mission as you advise is not really a wise decision at all. Mining however before the last mission in my experience doesn't really affect anything but it's not advisable.

Message 4 of 20 (5,824 Views)
Sackboy
481 posts

Jan 26, 2011

"For one you should do everything possible that affects the end game before the Reaper IFFmission."

>Yes, I said that

"Side missions don't really matter as they can be done post end game in most cases unless you really just screw up."

>Well in this case I wanted everything to be done at the end of the game"

"Legion's loyalty should be the last thing you do period before the last mission."

>Yes, I also said this

"Having two loyalty missions before the last mission as you advise is not really a wise decision at all."

>If you do everybody's loyalty mission THEN get Legion, you wont be able to access his loyalty mission right away, you have to kill some time, therefore, if you have another loyalty mission to do, (in my case I did Samara's) right after that he will talk to you and you can do his... so yes, the 2 loyalty missions is a good way to do it without losing any extra time.

"Mining however before the last mission in my experience doesn't really affect anything but it's not advisable."

>if you want to upgrade your ship so it doesn't get torn to shreds in the omega relay, you better mine.

Message 5 of 20 (5,824 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
310 posts

Jan 26, 2011

Ok about the loyalty mission thing I always do all of them before legion because the IFF opens one mission after you get it so you can't have 2 and save everyone. So either you're lucky or you're remebering your strategy wrong.

Message 6 of 20 (5,824 Views)
Wastelander
846 posts

Jan 29, 2011

You can get Legion's loyalty mission right away after the Reaper IFF mission by just talking to him,  It doesn't require you to do anything else in between.

Message 7 of 20 (5,824 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11832 posts

Jan 29, 2011

I'm pretty frustrated with myself because I realized a few days ago that I "failed" Zaeed's mission. Therefore, right from the beginning, I ruined my chances of making it through the last mission with all of my crew alive. I went from getting the Platinum in about 45 hours to probably close to double that now. I just don't really think it makes sense for a DLC character to directly affect the Platinum of a game.

Message 8 of 20 (5,824 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8584 posts

Jan 30, 2011

Argetlam wrote:

I'm pretty frustrated with myself because I realized a few days ago that I "failed" Zaeed's mission. Therefore, right from the beginning, I ruined my chances of making it through the last mission with all of my crew alive. I went from getting the Platinum in about 45 hours to probably close to double that now. I just don't really think it makes sense for a DLC character to directly affect the Platinum of a game.

Posting: Quality > Quantity

PS.com MVPs: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.

THIS IS A HUGE SPOILER SO DON'T READ THIS SPOILER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILERED

Seriously, this is considered a spoiler, so don't bark at me if you get spoiled(Just skip my entire post if that's the case).

I failed his mission too and didn't get his loyalty, but during the final battle, not only did he not actually contribute to anything, he didn't die either. Just don't select him for ANYTHING and he won't die. That's what I did. I hated him from the moment I saw his Kevin Durand looking ass, especially when I failed his to earn his loyalty, so I decided to never use him. I guess it paid off for him since he didn't die.

Although I do not know if that will work for you. My recent playthrough on Insanity, I had his loyalty and he died.

Take back the future
Message 9 of 20 (5,824 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
378 posts

Jan 30, 2011

Crimson_Ryan wrote:

****THIS QUOTATION IS STILL A SPOILER!!!!!****

I failed his mission too and didn't get his loyalty, but during the final battle, not only did he not actually contribute to anything, he didn't die either. Just don't select him for ANYTHING and he won't die. That's what I did. I hated him from the moment I saw his Kevin Durand looking ***, especially when I failed his to earn his loyalty, so I decided to never use him. I guess it paid off for him since he didn't die.

Although I do not know if that will work for you. My recent playthrough on Insanity, I had his loyalty and he died.

Photobucket

On my third playthrough I "failed" his mission, but I don't really care.  On my first playthrough I had his loyalty and Jack was the one that died (good riddance).  The survival of your team in the last mission has to with the the time it takes for you to complete the mission as well (or so I've heard).  Maybe that's why he died even though you had his loyalty.  I like Zaeed's character though because he's a complete rip-off of Canderous from KoTOR (As is Grunt).  I also use him up until I recruit "Archangel."  I prefer Zaeed (Canderous) over Jacob and I bring Miranda on every mission throughout the entire game.  I don't think that I've ever done a mission without her in any playthrough. 

Anyways, he's not really a DLC character for us PS3 players.  Is he part of the Cerberus pack?  I don't really know.  He has been there ever since I started playing the game.  I do know that he's a DLC character on the Microsoft version.

Message 10 of 20 (5,824 Views)
0 Likes