Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 02 2011
By: Kajros Hekseville Citizen 305 posts

Mass Effect 1 for PS3?

60 replies 30405 views Edited Jan 2, 2011

Do you think us PS3 users will ever see Mass Effect 1 on PS3?  We are getting Mass Effect 2 for PS3 so how hard could it be to port either the PC or 360 version over to the PS3?  I had an XBOX 360 but it red ringed and I refuse to get a new one since XBOX screwed me over and will not fix it.  My PC is not powerful enough to play the game on high settings.  This is why I get games for my PS3 versus the PC nad 360.  Besides my computer is not hooked into a high def TV my PS3 is. 

Just saying that I plan on getting Mass Effect 2 it is just weird playing the sequel and not never playing the first part of the series.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 61 (30,405 Views)
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Re: Mass Effect 1 for PS3?

Jan 2, 2011

The reason we'll never see ME1 on PS3 is because MS owns the publishing rights to the first game.  The first game was published under them before EA picked up Bioware, who later published the PC version.  I think one of the reasons NGS2 was able to be made, despite MS being a co-publisher for NG2, is because the NG games on PS3 had their own engine and weren't using the same code.  ME is built on the Unreal Engine so...you kind of see where that goes.

Also, ME2 on PS3 comes with a 15 minute 'Interactive Comic' that allows you to see the events of ME1 and make 6 (?) decisions that can set you up going into ME2.  That's their solution and honestly, it's better then nothing, especially for a story heavy game.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 61 (30,405 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3470 posts

Jan 3, 2011

This is why I was one hundred precent certain that Mass effect would never come to the playstation.  Because MS published the first game.  Then EA started publishing them, but I figured they can't just put the second game in a series onto a new console without putting the first one because it wouldn't work people would be completely missing out on story and everything.

But it just goes to show you, no one can be one hundred percent sure on anything no matter what it is because information changes, new things are discovered etc.  Mass effect is one of their biggest franchises so of course they would do what they can to get it to a wider audience.  It's not a perfect solution, the introductory comic, but at least it is something.  THe decisions won't have any weight though, like they probably would in the game since we are just making them.  We didn't go through any of the life experience, we are just presented with backstory and decisions, so they won't mean much I don't think without the lifes experience to go with them.   But at least it enables us to play Mass effect 2 properly with our decisions affecting the game. 

So it is the best thing they could have done in leui of not giving us the first game which is legally impossible.

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 61 (30,405 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Jan 3, 2011

I'm pretty sure EA could have taken another road to get ME1 on PS3 but that would probably involve some contracts and some money coming out of their hand.  EA more than likely could have asked MS to sell them the other half of the license for the first game (EA only has publishing rights for the PC version) and then could have ported a PS3 version.  The other option is to get a lease for the license or a sign a contract to port it over to the PS3 but in turn, MS would get a cut of the money made off of those sales (+ whatever money for the lease).

But this is entirely in the realm of a scenario where MS would play ball.  They have the first game but since the rest of the IP is out of their reach now, they could sell the rights to the first and make bank or just sit on it.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 61 (30,405 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
310 posts

Jan 3, 2011

White_oyster wrote:

This is why I was one hundred precent certain that Mass effect would never come to the playstation.  Because MS published the first game.  Then EA started publishing them, but I figured they can't just put the second game in a series onto a new console without putting the first one because it wouldn't work people would be completely missing out on story and everything.

But it just goes to show you, no one can be one hundred percent sure on anything no matter what it is because information changes, new things are discovered etc.  Mass effect is one of their biggest franchises so of course they would do what they can to get it to a wider audience.  It's not a perfect solution, the introductory comic, but at least it is something.  THe decisions won't have any weight though, like they probably would in the game since we are just making them.  We didn't go through any of the life experience, we are just presented with backstory and decisions, so they won't mean much I don't think without the lifes experience to go with them.   But at least it enables us to play Mass effect 2 properly with our decisions affecting the game. 

So it is the best thing they could have done in leui of not giving us the first game which is legally impossible.

Actually we don't get to have all the decisions. From what I gather missing the first game makes you miss out on the full experience. You only get to make 6 decisions supposedly and those are the major ones that you see if you start a new game imported or otherwise on the 360 or PC. I noticed when I played with my imported Shep that stuff like saving the rachni queen and sparing Fist's life and things you did on Noveria were there and I feel like if you can't do that stuff in the comic then its not your story. Hopefully I'm wrong and they did put it in there but I doubt it. Also Mass 1 could be brought to the PS3 just put it on the Mass 2 or 3 engine and name it something like Mass Effect: Soverign.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 61 (30,405 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1538 posts

Jan 3, 2011

SpiderguyZER0-G wrote:

White_oyster wrote:

Actually we don't get to have all the decisions. From what I gather missing the first game makes you miss out on the full experience. You only get to make 6 decisions supposedly and those are the major ones that you see if you start a new game imported or otherwise on the 360 or PC. I noticed when I played with my imported Shep that stuff like saving the rachni queen and sparing Fist's life and things you did on Noveria were there and I feel like if you can't do that stuff in the comic then its not your story. Hopefully I'm wrong and they did put it in there but I doubt it. Also Mass 1 could be brought to the PS3 just put it on the Mass 2 or 3 engine and name it something like Mass Effect: Soverign.

It is a nice idea but it won't happen which is why they have to do the comic. If there was even a chance of doing it they would do it but M$ is not going to let it happen.

They may add sparing the queen or killing her. That to me was one of the major plot points........but since I have not played 2 if the queen or the rachni are never mentioned again then I doubt they will add it in.

The comic is going to be about 15 minutes and I think they can cover most all the major plot points in that time. Apparently, they are going to cover whether you had romance or not and that was not a major plot point.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 61 (30,405 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3470 posts

Jan 15, 2011

SpiderguyZER0-G wrote:

White_oyster wrote:

Do you think legally they could do that?  I mean would using it with Mass effect 2's engine be a big enough change in the code that they could do that?  Seems pretty iffy to me.  And to make a remake of the game would be so much work I can't see that they would ever even bother doing it.  I think by having this intro comic they are saying they aren;t going to bother and just leave the past in the past and move forward.    I would be curious to know the intricacies of the publishing agreement though.   

Those decisions you mentioned sound like they would shape the story a lot so hopefully those things are included. But I guess we'll find out soon enough.  

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 61 (30,405 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 8, 2011

Honestly I hope some solution can be made, as I would LOVE to play ME1 on the PS3 vs buying an Xbox to get the experience. A % of profit being shared would be nice, as long as MS didn't ask for too big a bite. Not like they don't have enough cash flow as is. There are a few major points in the interactive comic but as mentioned above there are some key differences that occure because you didn't have a ME1 save file to port over. Like characters that you spare/kill/save in ME1, none of them show up in ME2 because there's no mention of them in the comic. Take Conrad Verner for instance, if he's well and good he can show up in ME2, but with no ME1 file for PS3 he never shows up where he does in the Xbox version. There's no interaction, and there is a loss. There are multiple charcters from ME1 that can appear in ME2, but with no ME1 we can't experience that. The comic just doesn't go into that kind of detail.

If EA and Bioware are able to get ME1 somehow, I'm there, 100%.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 61 (30,405 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
259 posts

Mar 8, 2011

Sadly, its just never going to happen, and it totally sucks, but its true.

As for "missing out on the entire experience", ive played ME1 and ME2 and trust me, its not that big of a deal.  The biggest thing that you are missing out on is the decisions that you have made, which are rectified in the interactive comic book.  Honestly were lucky to have ever obtained a ME game at all, and were getting 3 day and date with the xbox and pc ppl, so its all good.

ME1 was great, but not having to be able to play it isnt that big of a deal, at least not on ps3, just go to a buddies house or someone you know with a decent enough PC or xbox and play the first one there, and just choose the decisions that you have on your separate playthough on the interactive comic, cause thanks to licensing issues and copyright claims, were not ever going to get ME1 on ps3

John_Oval Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 61 (30,405 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
309 posts

Mar 8, 2011

I would recommend just buying it for the pc. I have it for xbox and have around 90hrs in it. Its a great game, certain aspects are superior to ME2. We will never see ME1 on the PS3 though. Even if MS was getting a percent of sales, they wouldnt do it because Sony also would be getting a percent of sales. Im sure alot of people would like to see Left for Dead on the PS3 too. Again, MS owns publishing rights,  making it an exclusive title.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 61 (30,405 Views)
0 Likes