Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Re: Mass Effect II - PSN vs BluRay (ups and downs)

Feb 8, 2011

Downloading in the background doesn't reduce the time to DL the thing (not in my case).  I could have done that true enough, but the fact is the PS3 doesn't have a "set it & forget it" thing like the other system does.  With that one it simply wouldn't matter,  I'd be able to turn it off & it'd DL overnight & then completely auto-shut off.  I don't have that luxury with the PS3, unless I've been looking in the wrong place.  The size of the HDD wasn't the issue, it was the time factor,  luckily I didn't have to go to work the next day but at 4am I really do wanna get some sleep. 

I was in error also, when I DL'd that game I was thinking that it'd be as fast to DL as it would on the other system.  Silly me eh? 

@abrader.  I like it so far myself, there's a lot to explore.  It'll hold me over while I await more FNV DLC.  If there's one thing I don't like is that at certain story points you're forced to go to places.  I'm also not a big fan of manuals included on the disc, call me old fashioned but I like having the physical manual to flip through. 

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 25 (67 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
378 posts

Feb 8, 2011

Actually, you have been looking in the wrong place.  There is an option for you to have the PS3 shut itself off once it has finished a download.  I can't tell you exactly where this option is, but I do know that it exists because I used it for the God of War III demo.  I don't know about downloads on the other system because I never downloaded anything when I had one, but the PS3's downloading is usually pretty slow.  As for the being forced to do missions at certain times, that is a classic BioWare implementation.  I'm not a big fan of it at times either, but it doesn't occur too often.  I usually forget what I was doing before I was forced into the mission.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 25 (67 Views)
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Feb 8, 2011

I'll see if I can find it, thanx.  What about an option to turn it off during a download, where the main system is off but it continues to DL in the background then completely shutting off once finished?  No offense, but with this system anying bigger then X in size I'll see if I can find a hard-copy.  I'm in "once burned, twice shy" mode with that stuff.   Does it matter that I've got one of the older PS3s (a BW compatible one)?  

As for the Bioware thing I'll remember it on my next playthrough.  Luckily I tend to do a lot of exploring, scanning, & side-missions so I wasn't exactly caught unawares & underpowered (as in slaughtered each time). 

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 25 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
378 posts

Feb 8, 2011

No problem.  That's why we're here

I do a lot of exploring as well.  My main playthrough (the one I intend to import to ME3) has all the side missions and 100% of the star clusters "discovered" (there are a few planets that I just flew by and never even scanned if EDI didn't tell me there was an anamoly).  Word to the wise: go to the Local Cluster and scan Uranus.  It's pretty cool.

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 25 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Feb 8, 2011

I'm trying to find as much Element Zero as I can, the other elements I've got 75000+, 25000+ & 18000+ respectively.  But element Zero I've got maybe 7400-.  I'm already going into upgrades that tend to require it.   Can you sell or trade excess elements?  Also, can you increase the size of the weapon magazines?

Next playthrough I may go the Infiltrator route.  After seeing what Kasumi can do I said, "Self that's your next class." This being my initial playthough I'm basically going with the wind & chose the default (Soldier). 

End of off-topicness

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 25 (67 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
378 posts

Feb 8, 2011

Unfortunately, you can't buy or trade for elements.  Element Zero is supposed to be rare though.  If you look at the upgrades that require it, however, you will notice that they require significantly less than the others that use Palladium, Platinum, & Iridium.  Element Zero is great to have though.  Remember to get all the upgrades that come up for specific teammates for your best chances of survival later.

Back on topic, PSN download seems to be a good option.  I'll definitely consider this in the future.  Less discs means more space on my desk, not having to worry about scratching/wearing out the disc, and not having to change the discs to play different games.  Having a cloud back-up of the purchase is also a pretty good feature.

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 25 (67 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 10, 2011

It's kinda there, once you have something downloading in the background, scroll over to shut down system and check shut down after download is complete. It was either a check box, or a conformation window if you try shutting down via the XMB.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 25 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
51 posts

Feb 10, 2011

Yeah, elements never WERE tradeable, even when the PC version came out sadly.  Element Zero starts out to be rather common place in the beginning of the game, but actually being able to stockpile on the stuff is really hard, even if you drain each planet dry, it's still VERY difficult to find, especially in the later parts of the game (usually the point where you REALLY NEED it) Space ports and infiltrated areas (Mainly by the Gangs) are usually VERY wealthy in Zero, BTW.

Here's a tip though... don't EVER over invest in giving yourself needless abilities.  For example, don't waste your time getting the stronger shield for the Sentinel; Tech Armor worked just fine for me.  Oh, and I can't stress how important Reave is.  It will literally save your life, especially against the Collectors.  I have the PC version and unless they either improved it or took it away, that's the only extra thing you'll need to research. Trust me.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 25 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
310 posts

Feb 11, 2011

On the off topic thing just beat the game once then you get 50000 of each mineral for each new game/import. On topic until the internet doesn't suck I'm going to have to stick with physical media so one pro would be instant gratification instead of 9hr wait because you don't have like FiOS.

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 25 (67 Views)
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Feb 11, 2011

Off-topic... again  

It's not your internet, its your PS3s modem.  I've been told that it uses a 300 baud modem so it don't matter how fast your ISP is, it's still going to go into the machine at the rate it's going to go.  I've got cable (RoadRunner T1.5) with a direct wire connection, no router (I'm not made of money). 

9 hours really? That's actually less then I thought it'd be, but still way more then it should be.  No offense to any PS3 "fanboys" or whatever the stupid term is, I've got all 3 systems & each has certain strengths & weaknesses. 

End of off~topicness

Thanx for the ME2 info, I gave you a +1

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 25 (67 Views)