Jan 17 2013
By: EstraySheep First Son 28 posts

Mass Effect series: as fun as the hype?

4 replies 351 views Edited Jan 17, 2013

When Mass Effect first came out, I didn't have the ability to own it. Its a long story involving over-controlling parents and M rated video games that I won't bore the world with. Well, now I live away from home- and the trilogy set just (well not JUST) came out, so it seems like the perfect time for me to pick the game. 

I watched some footage of the first game, and it really got me interested in it. I cut myself off before anything major happened, so I have only seen amybe 20 mintues of actual game footage. Now, I'm about to take my girlfriend home to meet my family- so I don't have a hugely expendable wallet right now. Ni no Kuni is comming out, and I konw I'll be picking it up. But if I were able to pick up an extrea game- this is one I'm seriously considering at the top of my (long) list of games I want to play. 

To help me really narrow down between how soon I get this game, I was hoping I could hear some reasons why those of you who have played the series enjoyed it. Or hated it, if you really hated it- but then I don't think you would be on this subforum if you did. A loved, LOVED kotor when it game out- and from what I have heard and seen this has the same... falvor, if you will- while being an origanl sifi universe. 

Message 1 of 5 (351 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
84 posts

Re: Mass Effect series: as fun as the hype?

[ Edited ]
Jan 18, 2013

As a recent buyer of the trilogy, I've loved it thus far (still working through Mass Effect 3). My general impressions are that the story and roleplaying elements of the saga get weaker as the series progresses but the combat system improves to a point. The second game felt like it was too much of a run from cover to cover fest - this is improved with rolls and a better cover transition system for the final chapter.

The ability to import saves from previous games and have your decisions impact the world is enough of a draw alone to make Mass Effect an amazing journey and really increases the replayability.

A lot of people suggest that the games get a facelift graphically in Mass Effect 3 however I've found the body animations and mouth synching/animation to be hideous in the final game. Your mileage may vary.

Any fan of storytelling and roleplaying who likes to become invested in games and the characters presented to you on your journey will be sure to love the series. Getting the trilogy bundle would be the only sane choice at this stage - 3 games for the price of one.

Message 2 of 5 (344 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2712 posts

Jan 18, 2013

^ Agreed. Combat was top-notch in ME3. It took me forever to realize you had infinite ammo in ME1.

ME2 on the highest difficulty was insane and no way something I ever want to experience again.

Message 3 of 5 (341 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1109 posts

Jan 20, 2013

The Mass Effect series is one of the better game series on PS3 and well worth the investment.......each game has flaws but overall it is one of the few games I've replayed numerous times , trying both male and female characters and varying the setup. Each time ,I've played  the game has been a blast to play. It also gives me great joy when I talk to my high school students about it and wow them with what I've accomplished.......

Message 4 of 5 (328 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3091 posts

Jun 24, 2013

It was a great story, more importantly, a brilliantly imagined universe that I can't wait to see more of. 

The 4 short novels were awesome as well.

Message 5 of 5 (172 Views)
0 Likes