Jan 26 2011
By: Anddo Keyblade Wielder 10840 posts

Massive Mass Effect 2 bug

9 replies 158 views Edited Jan 26, 2011

"There's a bug wiping out save games and even HDDs.

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/bioware...ect-2-save-bug

Posters on the developer’s official forums are complaining that game  saves are becoming corrupted, with some players losing 30 hours of  progress through the sci-fi epic which finally launched on PS3 last  week, almost a year after its Xbox 360 and Windows debut.

Some users are even reporting not just corrupted saves, but entire  systems, with hard disks becoming corrupted and needing reformatting.

“Just to make it clear, we are aware of this issue and are working to  understand what is occurring and how we can fix it,” wrote BioWare’s  Chris Priestly. “If you are encountering this issue, please provide  details about your PS3 and your playthrough.”

Guess I won't be playing for a while....

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (158 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10840 posts

Re: Massive Mass Effect 2 bug

Jan 26, 2011

Seems like they're working on a patch...

Hello everyone

First, we are sorry some of you have had problems playing Mass Effect 2  on the Playstation 3 and want to thank you all for providing feedback on  our forums on both the freezing and resulting save game issue that some  of you have experienced. The information and support you have provided  has helped the development team to build the latest patch. We’re  currently testing the patch thoroughly, we expect to be finished our  quality passes on Friday.  This patch is then being delivered to Sony  ASAP for verification and distribution. We will announce as soon the  patch is available.  Please see the below patch notes for a complete  list of what will be included:

Patch Notes

-Fixed a crash related to memory fragmentation. This fix will also resolve the crashing that corrupted Save Games.

-Slightly improved load times and level streaming.

-Added some telemetry to better improve future titles.

-Updated some strings to fix spelling mistakes (Sorry Kaidan!)

-Fixed the picture frame in Shepard’s Cabin to accurately reflect your love interest choices in Mass Effect: Genesis.

-Fixed a rare crash in the PSN version in Shepard’s Cabin.

We want you to be able to continue playing while you wait for the patch.  While data and telemetry have shown that very few people have seen this  issue, we know a few of you here have experienced this problem.  There  is a very simple work around to ensure  the freezing and corruption  issues are minimized. Simply restart your game every few hours. By  shutting down and restarting your game, you will not encounter the  corrupted save issue.”

Once again, thank you for your feedback which has helped us get to a resolution.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (158 Views)
Lombax Warrior
234 posts

Jan 27, 2011

Just wanted to bump this for the reference of any new ME2 players... so that they can use the workaround until the patch is released.

The image doesn't show the current trophies, but following the link does...

Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (158 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
378 posts

Jan 30, 2011

CitizenThom wrote:

Just wanted to bump this for the reference of any new ME2 players... so that they can use the workaround until the patch is released.

The image doesn't show the current trophies, but following the link does...
Get your Portable ID!

Also for the new players:

The workaround mentioned above is to save and then quit the game ~every 3 hours to prevent file corruption and deletion.  I haven't had this issue myself, but it must be a problem.  Hopefully everyone is able to enjoy this game to the fullest.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (158 Views)
Sackboy
530 posts

Jan 30, 2011

Aside from an occasional freeze, I had absolutely no issues concerning Mass Effect 2 on my first playthrough....then I started going for my platinum on Insanity difficulty. I then encountered my first game breaking bug in a long time. I was doing the Archangel mission, and at the end, after you destroy the gunship, there was a single enemy on my radar that i couldn't locate. Worse, the door to the room I'm in is sealed with no way out. I know the phantom enemy is downstairs , or somewhere outside the room I'm stuck in; my teammates are pointing their weapons straight down at their feet. I've reloaded the autosave AND tried the whole mission over again from scratch. No dice. I haven't enjoyed a single player game so much in a while, and was just getting ready to send Bioware love letters; then this happened. It's one thing to be at a hard part and not have the skill or patience to do it. It's another when the game conspires against you. Anybody with any ideas  please send me a PSN message. I had a $50 PSN card laying around, so I finally used it on ME2, so I'm stuck with it. It would pain me to delete it, and pain me even more to redownload it, but I'm at the limits of my very limited patience. Hope noone else experiences the same thing, because you literally can't continue the story without the initial 4 recruits.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (158 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7350 posts

Jan 30, 2011

i have 35hrs into my game right now and no problems what so ever, except the audio being off sometimes.  ie: shepard will smash a guy or hit someone and like 10 seconds later you hear the audio for that action.

Sneeches Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (158 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11832 posts

Jan 31, 2011

I just finished the game (at around 50 hours of play-time) without any issues aside from a few very small bugs here and there (characters floating, a freeze, etc.). However, it's good to know that they're working on a patch for those who aren't as fortunate.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2358 posts

Feb 1, 2011

Any word on when the patch will be out?  Last I heard is that it was submitted to Sony for approval.  I would just like to know when to expect this patch.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
358 posts

Feb 1, 2011

On my second  play through right now.  Haven't had a problem, aside from getting stuck on a structure outside the Shadow Broker's ship.    Thanks for the heads-up though.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2430 posts

Feb 17, 2011

that would suck it would piss me off so much if i lost my whole game

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (158 Views)
0 Likes