Jul 17 2013
By: OverstuffedSofa Lombax Warrior 200 posts

I just ordered MGS Legacy bundle, what order I should play them in?

[ Edited ]
55 replies 892 views Edited Jul 17, 2013

Okay, I know I could look up how the order of the games go in story line, but I want to know which order would give me the best experience. Should I play it in order of release, chronological order, or what? Also, any tips for a newby jumping into the series?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 56 (892 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4857 posts

Re: I just ordered MGS Legacy bundle, what order I should play them in?

Jul 17, 2013
Order of release, there are moments that won't have the same impact if you do it chronologically plus that's how it's been made to play, not game breaking though.

However I think the main reason to do it in order of release is the graphical difference and gameplay, I know graphics don't make a game but to go from MGS3 through to 1 can be a little jarring and could ultimately ruin to the experience. Don't get me wrong you could be perfectly fine with that but for newcomers it's just a word of caution.
 photo NorphSig.png

"Postman Pat has a black and white cat, what does Big Boss have? NOTHING! THATS WHAT! HE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TWO FUNCTIONAL EYES LIKE PAT. OR A VAN!" - F0X
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 56 (886 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
200 posts

Jul 17, 2013

I_Dsev wrote:
Order of release, there are moments that won't have the same impact if you do it chronologically plus that's how it's been made to play, not game breaking though.

However I think the main reason to do it in order of release is the graphical difference and gameplay, I know graphics don't make a game but to go from MGS3 through to 1 can be a little jarring and could ultimately ruin to the experience. Don't get me wrong you could be perfectly fine with that but for newcomers it's just a word of caution.

I can see how that would work. Plus, when you play a prequel to a series, you get that "DAAAAMN" experience. 

I can't think of a good example right now, but the best I can come up with is when you enter rapture for a few minutes in bioshock infinite.

Or like kingdom hearts Birth by sleep. 

Everything kinda clicks together.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 56 (883 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4857 posts

Jul 17, 2013
I started with MGS2 and when I played MGS1 after then went back to MGS2 certain scenes just changed entirely for me once I knew the back story.
 photo NorphSig.png

"Postman Pat has a black and white cat, what does Big Boss have? NOTHING! THATS WHAT! HE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TWO FUNCTIONAL EYES LIKE PAT. OR A VAN!" - F0X
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 56 (876 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
200 posts

Jul 17, 2013

I_Dsev wrote:
I started with MGS2 and when I played MGS1 after then went back to MGS2 certain scenes just changed entirely for me once I knew the back story.

So after 1, 2, and 3, what do I play next? Peace walker, or 4?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 56 (875 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4857 posts

Jul 17, 2013
I personally did 4 then Peace Walker, but I think Peace Walker then 4 could be good way to do it.
 photo NorphSig.png

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 56 (863 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7821 posts

Jul 17, 2013

The best way to play it is in order of release. So MGS1 and MGS2 and then you stop. :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 56 (856 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1578 posts

Jul 17, 2013
Release order. Just because gameplay innovations make it difficult to play in chronological order
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 56 (841 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
588 posts

Jul 17, 2013

VR_F0X wrote:

The best way to play it is in order of release. So MGS1 and MGS2 and then you stop. :smileymad:

Really? No love for MGS3? :smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 56 (835 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3747 posts

Jul 17, 2013

Tim111 wrote:

VR_F0X wrote:

Really? No love for MGS3? :smileyindifferent:

You've released the kraken.

photo MGSV-Banner-4_zps217afef9.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 56 (832 Views)
0 Likes