Jan 20 2013
By: ThirstyMGS First Son 2 posts

MGS 1 - Can you get rid of the blocky pattern effect thing?

8 replies 252 views Edited Jan 20, 2013

MGS 1 seems to have this strange sort of 'blocky grid pattern effect' over the gameplay. It doesnt show up when you use the CODEC, but it is there on the actual gameplay.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of that effect, or even tweak the game to make it look better?

I've just bought it from the PS store, and installed it, done nothing else.

I do understand the game is old and has low-res textures, but this isn't that, its some sort of effect that wasn't there on the original PS1 release(if I remember correctly from all those years back).

FYI I also bought PS3 just to play the MGS series, so I really have no idea how to tweak and use the thing properly yet.

Message 1 of 9 (252 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
33401 posts

Re: MGS 1 - Can you get rid of the blocky pattern effect thing?

Jan 20, 2013

thats just the way MGS1 looks. its an old PS1 game.

also, when playing the game push and hold the PS button on the controller til the black screen/white menu pops up, go down to the 'other settings' section and turn on 'smoothing'. this may help.

Message 2 of 9 (240 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2611 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 21, 2013

How do i play mgs on vita I downloaded it on ps3

Message 3 of 9 (226 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
33401 posts

Jan 21, 2013

IIITRU3M4STAIII wrote:

How do i play mgs on vita I downloaded it on ps3

i believe you can hook up the Vita to the PS3 and transfer it that way. ive never tried it but ive heard it works.

Message 4 of 9 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
793 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 21, 2013

I believe what youre seeing is the grain filter, its there to smooth the graphics out. :smileyindifferent:

Spoiler
 I clicked this here on accident, and am ignorant as to how to delete it. :smileyindifferent:
Message 5 of 9 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Jan 21, 2013

The game looks awesome. Why would you want change it?

Message 6 of 9 (193 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 22, 2013

Its not the textures, but some kind of effect or filter thrown on top. You can see by it moving the camera in real close to a wall)or somewhere with a big flat single color), and theres a big circular pattern going across everything in the centre of the screen.

Ive had a bit of a fiddle, and it looks like you cant change it. It must of always been there, but I never noticed it back in the day playing on standard definition with a 20" TV.

TY for all the help and ideas.

Message 7 of 9 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
793 posts

Jan 22, 2013

Lol, yeah, thats the grain filter. It sounds like it may be a bit more prominent than it should be though?

You might still try adjusting youre tv settings a bit more.

The "circle" becomes especially prominent when in "intrusion view" in the air ducts.

Specifically, Id try turning the brightness down. :smileywink:

Im tempted to get the download version, just to see if there is some sort of difference...

Message 8 of 9 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Jan 25, 2013

ThirstyMGS wrote:

Its not the textures, but some kind of effect or filter thrown on top. You can see by it moving the camera in real close to a wall)or somewhere with a big flat single color), and theres a big circular pattern going across everything in the centre of the screen.

Ive had a bit of a fiddle, and it looks like you cant change it. It must of always been there, but I never noticed it back in the day playing on standard definition with a 20" TV.

TY for all the help and ideas.

Try take a picture with your phone then upload it onto here so we can have a look.
I always remember 'MGS1' as being blocky. I remember watching a documentory on how they made 'MGS1',
It was made with pixels (Which are square).

Message 9 of 9 (140 Views)
0 Likes