Jan 13 2011
By: OPPinoy Ghost of Sparta 15229 posts
Accepted Solution

Thinking of Returning

11 replies 72 views Edited Jan 13, 2011

I started playing the original iteration of MH with the beta for the PS2 way back in 2004, some of you might remember that beta and me.  I've been playing World of Warcraft but am thinking about returning to MH since I remember how fun it was.  What's the best route of going about this?  My nephews have Tri for the Wii and I've watched them play and it looks cool, but the controls seem daunting.  I played MH Freedom on the PSP during its beta, and it seemed cool, but that was a long time ago and I don't have a PSP.  Is it worth buying a new PSP to jump back into the series on a Sony Platform, or just try to learn how to play the Wii.  How many of you are still playing Tri?  I wish MH would come to the PS3, maybe for the move since they are already setup for motion controls.  Nice to be back, and hope to hear from old friends.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7744 posts

Re: Thinking of Returning

Jan 13, 2011

I'm rather new to the series, actually MHFU is my first MH game. But yes, buy a PSP for the game, controls take a while to get controlled and if you're worried about how small the PSP screen is the newer models you can connect it to the TV. And besides there's MHF3 to look for too.

"Can you see your end? Then death be yours!" ~ Brahms
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2625 posts

Jan 13, 2011

Well i'm going to say it: welcome back! Even though you haven't completely made the plunge - I have faith

I think you need to take advantage of your opportunities; as much as I dislike Tri (personal reasons) it'll be a good stepping stone to getting back into MH. Tri is made so everyone can enjoy it - making it easier. Do you and your nephews a favor and go out and buy the add-on controller designed for Tri (its a gamecube controller basically) but this is really close to the PSP and easier than the Wii controls.

If you enjoy it - then yeah go out and buy a full game and PSP: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is super cheap and has the most MH gameplay to date. There are tons of other good games you'd like on the PSP as well.

Have fun!

www.youtube.com/vengefultorture
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3215 posts

Jan 13, 2011

Welcome back!  I think i remember you from when i frist joined here.  in fact, i think youre still a "top contributor" to this forum; check the right hand side

my opinion: these games ARE the reason for owning a PSP.  so, absolutly do i think you should buy a psp!  you can get one for under $100, and I saw MHF2 (althought i think you should just get Unite and call it a day) for $15, new, at Best Buy last night.  Im sure youll get way more than $115 value from the game, as 500hours is pretty easy to drop on this game.  still cheaper than a movie, per hour.

the Wii controls are the exact same, assuming you use the classic-pro-controller, whish is bascially an improved version of the ps controller (remember, this is MY opinion here!).  so, unless youre jerkin the wii mote, the controls shouldnt hold ya back. Tri is an AWESOME game.  probably the best single-player version of MH, as it has the most story and allows for an untimed free-roam.  really fun!

if money isnt an issue, id get a psp-3000 and a copy of Monster Hunter Unite.  if you have a ps3, then all the more reason to go psp!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chavez The Monster Hunter
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
327 posts

Jan 13, 2011

well the reason i own a psp is monster hunter.

so in my opinion buying a psp just for monster hunter is completely justified.

and if i were you go striaght to unite freedom 1 and 2 are great but unite has everything freedom 1 and 2 does plus extra gameplay and all sorts of perks.

plus a new MH on the horizon.

not to mention there are some truly superb games out for psp, the god of war series, phantasy star portable 2, metal gear solid peace walker, the up and coming lord of arcana, and many many more.

get a psp... NOW! you wont be sorry.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15229 posts

Jan 13, 2011

Thanks for everyone's help.  I'm going to start to learn how to play Tri on the Wii, and I'll pick up a new PSP and MHU.  A PSP would be nice while waiting for raids to come together in wow.  I don't understand why Capcom still refuses to port the game to the PS3, but I'll play the PSP version to get the hang of the game until the inevitable PS3 port arrives.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7917 posts

Jan 13, 2011

I remember you, it's been a while! I'd say it's worth it to get a PSP for Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and 3 when it's released. The PSP has many fun games in general to pass the time and since you can put it to sleep it's great for on the go. I also would like to dicsourage from buying the Go. To me the style of the system is just not monster hunter friendly.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (72 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1032 posts

Jan 13, 2011

im still active on tri, as i just got tri a couple weeks ago(was refusing to get a wii lol).just to put it simply though, you aren't gonna want to play WoW anymore. thats just what MH does. its sucks you away from other games. i've hundreds of hours invested in MAG, but tri sucked me away. now i have hours of MAG gameply just sitting on my computer with no hope of ever getting edited and uploaded to youtube lol.

as veng said though, Tri is a good stepping stone for getting back in. the village missions are easy enough to help you get readjusted to MH. i'll just say to be cautious of the online in tri. unless your playing with people you know, or members of this forum(lol), expect to run into some of the WORST players around. if your interested, I can searched out on tri almost anydayafter 5 pm central(normally) under the player name Slater. i know demo says he plays, but have yet to ever see him online. also, i'm actaully wanting to step up a good hunting party on the 20th/21st of this month as the world eater event quest comes back up. so if you can manage to make it to HR 51 by then, your more then welcome to join in.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3215 posts

Jan 14, 2011

hey, i manage to stay deep in an MMO while playing MH

im pretty into LOTRO.  played for a couple years and am in a great Kin (guilld)!

-Sapien Chavez, Captain, Brandywine Server

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chavez The Monster Hunter
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15229 posts

Jan 14, 2011

Yea, just feeling the grind of a new expansion in wow.  Taking a break from the stress of being an officer in a raiding guild, so rather than raging out at guildies, I think it's better to relearn how to play MH.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (72 Views)
0 Likes