Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
41067 posts

Re: Really Starting to Hate the Amount of Episodes that Constitute as a Season...

Dec 9, 2011

Wakko03 wrote:

I thought firefly was coming back?  But then I found out it is just the old episodes being replayed...the movie was good but reminded me of xenosaga (the xenogears ps2 version that was supposed to be 6 games and ended up after 3 with the last game having 4 discs worth of story crammed in there).

Guys, I am still haunted by Surface and knowing what happened after the world flooded....

Jericho....I mean come on, that was a classic.

Sci Fi channel or sighwhy.....abuses farscape....browder and black go to stargate, stargate ends.....with no macguyver it was just okay....atlantis was always meh.

I really miss HBO's Carnivale....

I could talk hours about this.

color tag 001

I watched Firefly by chance when Sci-Fi was running a marathon of it and I just fell in love with it.  Found out that it was only 14 (?) episodes long though cause FOX had pulled the plug on it.  Bunch of clowns run that network.  I always wonder though why Sci-Fi doesn't swoop in and save most of these sci-fi/fantasy shows from other networks.  They throw so much money at their 'Sci-Fi Originals' but can't save some decent shows that would fit right in with their network?  They just pick them up later for syndication and call it a day -_-

I also watched SG-1 a bit less after Richard Dean Anderson took on a smaller role.  The guy they had take his spot just didn't do it for me so I diverted most of my attention to Atlantis which I loved but then that got canned.  Not only that, but they never went through with the 'movies' like they did with SG-1 (which also stopped short on that front).

Message 11 of 15 (477 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
830 posts

Re: Really Starting to Hate the Amount of Episodes that Constitute as a Season...

Jan 10, 2012

Wakko03 wrote:

I thought firefly was coming back?  But then I found out it is just the old episodes being replayed...the movie was good but reminded me of xenosaga (the xenogears ps2 version that was supposed to be 6 games and ended up after 3 with the last game having 4 discs worth of story crammed in there).

Guys, I am still haunted by Surface and knowing what happened after the world flooded....

Sci Fi channel or sighwhy.....abuses farscape....browder and black go to stargate, stargate ends.....with no macguyver it was just okay....atlantis was always meh.

color tag 001

I too, could talk about this for hours!! 

I always knew Farscape was going to end prematurely.  Shame though,  it was really cool and quirky.

I miss Firefly, but I'm glad they left it at 1 season and didn't kill it off after say 1 and a half.  The movie was a nice bonus despite the plot inconsistencies.

I loved Stargate SG1,  Altlantis was.. meh!

I wish I knew what happened at the end of Surface.  I really started to enjoy that show,  despite the corny pet storyline.

Never really got into Jericho.  But I really liked The Dresden Files...again cancelled.  Yet somehow,  the most ridiculous shows are so maddeningly popular that they are renewed.    Me no likey!

Photobucket

Message 12 of 15 (477 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2596 posts

Jan 10, 2012

I have watched way too much netflix lately.

I tried to watch the new take on the thundercats......but really cartoon network, fridays at 9pm or something like that; made sure that I missed that every episode and ended up trying to catch it on demand and they didn't even offer to let me watch part 2 of the first episode.

With so many of my childhood memories being expunged from my memory and turned into so so movies, at best.  I wonder why they didn't take the cool ones first.... alvin and the chipmunks (and I really like jason lee's work) smurfs really....Disney's Gummi Bears was much better.  It had survivors left behind during an exudos exploring the forgotten areas of their once vast civilization.....air-ships, gummi-berry juice, ogres (non shrektified), a corrupt duke, and rollercoaster like super-subways.

Of course, now IF I watch it I will see the fact that is what I took away from it then, now I will definitely see it with different eyes....(realizing how childish it is) and we are at the cusp of the 20-25 year recylcing program that hollywood is throwing at us (heck - sometimes it is a lot faster ang lee's hulk replaced by norton's, replaced by this other hulk for the Avengers movie...Bill Bixby owned that one for decades with the made for TV movies and the death of the hulk finale).

I eagerly picked up some issues of the Robotech comic book as the story was re-booted but then most of the comic book stores around here closed down being mom and pop type stores and the ones that are left aren't carrying it.  The movie information is sketchy...but if done right could rival the transformers franchise....and how did no one go with a go-bots movie to compete with the transformers...instead on netflix if you search you can find transmorphers...laughing too hard.  Then afer close to 20 years they release a new ending to robotech and start the shadow chronicles and leave us with the same non-ending cliffhangar that resolved nothing and the hint of more to come....8 years + later and nothing not even a hint more is on the horizon.

Then there are the late night searches for the end to the Dragon Warrior cartoon series, here in the U.S.  we only got season 1 and the story just ended on a cliffhangar while the show continued to air in japan it has never been shown here.

One of the best selling comic book issues are the justice league and supermans leading up to his death.  It would have made a much better movie choice than the deadbeat dad version of the new superman we got or the WB's dawson's creek version which I lost interest in back around season 5-6 when he still hadn't flown yet.  Fine they made a animated movie about doomsday but it was not the same, the comic book was 100 times better and the TV show animated series that ended with apocalypse was much better.  Think about it they had the chance to bring sup's back to earth and can still salvage it by saying he was followed by war world (enter all the mutants/aliens and advanced weapons run by brainiac) - they battle he defeats them/him in retailiation they release doomsday who begins to power-up, meanwhile sups then has to form the justice league to fight the war world refugee's prisoner's.

I'll stop here.

color tag 001

Message 13 of 15 (477 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
32941 posts

Aug 11, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

Wakko03 wrote:

color tag 001

I watched Firefly by chance when Sci-Fi was running a marathon of it and I just fell in love with it.  Found out that it was only 14 (?) episodes long though cause FOX had pulled the plug on it.  Bunch of clowns run that network.  I always wonder though why Sci-Fi doesn't swoop in and save most of these sci-fi/fantasy shows from other networks.  They throw so much money at their 'Sci-Fi Originals' but can't save some decent shows that would fit right in with their network?  They just pick them up later for syndication and call it a day -_-

I also watched SG-1 a bit less after Richard Dean Anderson took on a smaller role.  The guy they had take his spot just didn't do it for me so I diverted most of my attention to Atlantis which I loved but then that got canned.  Not only that, but they never went through with the 'movies' like they did with SG-1 (which also stopped short on that front).

I agree that SG-1 went downhill about the time Jack O'Neil was promoted to general and the other guy took over leading the team.  Also General O'Neil was nowhere near as fun as Colonel O'Neil, independent of his involvement in the plot.  His lines were forgettable.  His wise-guy character had evaporated.  He had become the "shrub" he expected to take command of the SCG.

Back to the OP, shows like True Blood and Game of Thrones have huge budgets.  There is a ton of CGI going on.  I'[m not sure they can afford to have 20+ episodes a season.  I would assume the same for Firefly.  This was one of the first shows with believable special effects.  When the ship would come down from space and leave smoke trails in the sky, IT LOOKED REAL.  Such a step up from TV shows and even major movies of the past.  Watch an episode of Firefly and then watch the original Star Wars right after.  Star Wars looks fake by comparison.

Cheaper shows can easily crank out 20+ episodes a year.  The only expense is paying the writers.  Enter "unscripted television".  Now there aren't even any writers to pay.

Jersey Shore

Haunted Collector

Destination Truth

(pretty much any "ghost chaser" show)

This is why there are so many of these garbage unscripted shows and so few Game of Thrones.

I think Doctor Who has struck a pretty good balance recently.  They have been making half-seasons every year (or half-series for you hyper-technical folks).  They seem to be able to push out more episodes than most, while still maintaining a decent degree of quality special effects.

Message 14 of 15 (476 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41067 posts

Aug 11, 2012
Yeah, I read that GoT had an enormous budget for one scene alone in S2 (you'll know what it is and when you've seen it, it's AMAZING). I think as a by product though, these 'shorter' seasons (10-12 episodes) do help somewhat in the story department. They've got 10-12 episodes to tell a season/arc and I think that allows enough time to get it done in a compelling way without feeling dragged out. I know also that if they slapped another 10 or so episodes on to their current production, it would hurt the show. So I guess it's a reasonable trade off =\

At Comic Con, Teen Wolf was confirmed to be bumped to 24 (?) episodes for S3 but they're keeping their 12 episode story arcs so that works for me.

On the matter of the 'unscripted TV', I hate this crap so much. Sy-Fy has stocked up on these shows and I hardly bother with the channel anymore, sadly. I remember when they used to do X-Files, SG-1, SGA, Outer Limits, Beyond Fact & Fiction, etc. marathons for like 6-8 hours and now they've mostly filled those spots with Ghost Hunters and such :smileyindifferent:

I've only recently gotten into Doctor Who (the most recent season) but haven't finished it. Need to get back around to that.

Message 15 of 15 (474 Views)
0 Likes