Mar 20 2012
By: SlashZaku PlayStation MVP 41224 posts

Ridley Scott's Prometheus Trailer

7 replies 792 views Edited Mar 20, 2012

Synopsis from Wikia:

In the late 21st Century, a star map is discovered within the imagery of Aztec, Mesopotamian and Magdalenian civilizations. The crew of the spaceship Prometheus is sent on a scientific expedition to follow the map as part of a mission to find the origins of mankind. Exploring the advanced civilization of an extraterrestrial race, they soon discover a threat to humanity's very existence.

=====

Originally was supposed to be a prequel to 'Alien', but it seems it's come into it's own.  The film does occupy the same universe as the Alien franchise but it's not going to be held down by all the sequels of that particular franchise.  Been looking forward to this for a while and the trailer looks great.

Message 1 of 8 (792 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
590 posts

Re: Ridley Scott's Prometheus Trailer

Mar 23, 2012

I think I want to see this before it is from Ridley Scott.  That and Idris Elba is in it.

Then again, if this was supposed to be the prequel, then hell yess I was going to see it.  Based on the trailer and the excerpt you posted, it doesn't feel like an Alien movie to me.  While the "prequel" probably wasn't going to "look" like the Alien series, I don't see a connection if any (despite what's noted, probably from fans notthing official).  Besides, I think I remember reading that Signourney were to be involved in any Alien prequel, which this movie does not. (I'm about to look this up to be sure)

So Prometheus ... looks like a good Sci-Fi flick. The trailer leaves me wanting more.

==============================
only on PS3

(soon to be on PS4)
Message 2 of 8 (792 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41224 posts

Mar 23, 2012

The 'Space Jockey' is the connection.  And for Weaver to be involved, it'd be kind of hard to imagine her or even a younger Ripley being introduced to the stuff prior to her role in the first movie (think it was supposed to be set a few decades before the first):

"Scott acknowledged that Prometheus, while not a direct prequel to Alien, occupies the same general universe, saying the picture was inspired by a desire to explore the mystery of the "space jockey" the giant fossilized creature with the burst-open chest seen in the first Alien movie but never explained."

LINK

So it's mainly exploring the Space Jockey and probably why the Aliens were on their ship/what they were doing with them:

ship.jpg

Message 3 of 8 (792 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
13450 posts

Mar 26, 2012

Look promising but I'll see any movie with Charlize Theron in it. Ridley Scott is a good director so the movie shouldn't disappoint.

Message 4 of 8 (792 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
42463 posts

Jul 17, 2012

Well, I was not impressed, and with the amount of discussion on the film here, I don't seem to be the only with this view.

As much as Scott wants us to believe this is not a prequel, it sure acts like one by delving into the origin of the alien creatures, the source of the crashed ship that Ripley's crew found, etc.

It was not scary, it was rarely even interesting. It certainly is not worth going to see in a cinema, unless your air conditioner is broken. Even then, you have better choices of movies from which to pick.

Message 5 of 8 (758 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41224 posts

Jul 17, 2012
We actually discussed it in another thread in Off-Topic before the recent transition.

Message 6 of 8 (755 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41224 posts

Aug 2, 2012

FOX is going to push ahead with a sequel with an aim for 2014-2015.  Scott, Rapace and Fassbender are all on board and they're looking for new writers.  Good to hear either way.

Message 7 of 8 (735 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11832 posts

Aug 5, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

FOX is going to push ahead with a sequel with an aim for 2014-2015.  Scott, Rapace and Fassbender are all on board and they're looking for new writers.  Good to hear either way.

Great news in my book. 

At this point, I just can't wait for its release (with the Alien series bundled alongside it as well). I'm sure it won't be cheap but it'll be worth every cent.

Message 8 of 8 (730 Views)
0 Likes