Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 07 2012
By: SlashZaku PlayStation MVP 41020 posts

Seen The Avengers Yet? (Spoilers)

16 replies 333 views Edited May 7, 2012

Just got back from it a few hours ago.  It's nice to see all this build up from Iron Man 1 & 2, Captain America, Thor and Incredible Hulk all finally come together

(*SPOILERS BELOW*)

Was pleasantly surprised at how well handled Black Widow & Hawkeye were compared to the rest of the team since they're not super powered.  They held their own for the most part against the Chitauri and Black Widow was used quite a bit to move the story along.  I know I've read a few interviews that they may even use this as a jumping off point for Black Widow to get her own movie now or something.  So that'll be interesting to see (they've talked about Fury/SHIELD getting their own as well so I don't know if it'll be an all encompassing 'SHIELD' movie or what).  Kind of was 'eh' to the whole Hawkeye mind-control thing but when that was out of the way, I was happy.

All the little pairing ups they had in the big battle were just great: Cap & Thor, Thor & Hulk, Cap & Widow & Hawkeye, Iron Man & Cap.  Just watching them take on the endless invading forces and watching each others backs kept a smile on my face.  Was a pretty satisfying ending too.  They were heavily outnumbered and had to close the portal.  Cap took a hit to the midsection, Hulk was being overwhelmed, Iron Man's suit was running low on energy and Hawkeye was out of arrows.  Seeing the Mothership on the other side of the portal after Iron Man passed through it made you realize just what they were in for and you thought they were doing some damage before.  It was also kind of great just to see the general beating they were taking in all this.

Now the general public knows that there are more heroes out there so this is obviously a setup for bringing in more.  It's a matter of who they'll add though.  I think they could do another 1 or 2 Heroes like Widow & Hawkeye who they can drop right in to a sequel or even setup in one of the standalone sequels (Iron Man 3, Captain America 2, Thor 2) but I'm wondering how they'll decide who will get their own movies (Widow/Fury/SHIELD is being played with, they've talked about maybe doing another Hulk since he's well received in the movie and I think they also signed Ruffalo for a 6 movie deal).  I know they've been wanting to get Ant-Man off the ground and I figure they'd add Wasp in on that (the other missing founding members from the team).  With Ant-Man/Pym, that leads down the road of Vision and Ultron.  Marvel has also for the longest been trying to get Dr. Strange, Luke Cage and Black Panther off the ground among others.  Hoping Namor is in there somewhere but I think they've mentioned that they'd only do 1-3 movies a year (sometimes 1 like this year with Avengers, 2 average maybe like last year's Cap & Thor and on a rare occasion, maybe 3).

The ending gives you an idea of where they're going in the future since they obviously showed Thanos and even mentioned 'Death', who he's in love with.  It's been mentioned/known also that the Infinity Gauntlet is in the Asgard Treasure (?) room so they've already been putting the pieces in play for him.  It's only a matter of if he's got the Infinity Gems already to go in the Gauntlet or if the Gauntlet already has them placed.  I figure they'd have to bring in a Cosmic hero/one of his nemisis' to do battle with him: Captain Marvel, Adam Warlock or Drax the Destroyer.  Kind of happy though that they're going knee deep in a Cosmic villain already.  Googling, it seems Kevin Feige has mentioned Inhumans and Guardians of the Galaxy as something they want to work on/develop for the big screen so I'm hoping those pull through as the latter would really work well with the Thanos angle (Drax is in Guardians of the Galaxy and Adam Warlock also fits into them).

I think one of the sadder things is unless some of the other studios holding licenses work out some sort of deal/collab to fire on all cylinders/keep things consistent, we'll never see the Marvel Universe come together completely, especially since the Avengers are based in New York.  Spider-Man is in New York, Fantastic Four are in New York, and even Xavier's School/Mansion is in New York.  Sony holds the rights to Spidey, FOX the latter 2.  Spider-Man is currently getting rebooted and I think FOX is looking to do the same with Fantastic Four (Evans can't be both Cap & Torch now).  Marvel Studios & FOX can both use Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver (they fall under Avengers and X-Men/Mutants) but I think the deal is that Marvel can't make mention of Big Daddy Magneto or that they're mutants or something along those lines.  It's a question of if they're even introduced, would the studios even use the same actor/actress for them because FOX isn't functioning under Marvel Studio's larger onscreen Marvel Universe

I also now wonder if DC would be willing to do a Justice League movie.  The Avengers has been planned out over 5 years with lead ins from singles so WB/DC would probably have to take a similar approach but it'd have to start with the upcoming Superman if that, and a rebooted Batman most likely cause I don't see Nolan's/Bale's Batman working.  And then you have to get a villain that would work for pulling DC's heavy hitters together onscreen (Supes, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern if they want to try that again and maybe Martian Manhunter).  They'd have to go the Marvel route and have this all planned out ahead of time with where they want to end up.  I'm just not sure how it'd pan out for them =\

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Message 1 of 17 (333 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11120 posts

Re: Seen The Avengers Yet? (Spoilers)

May 14, 2012

Count me in on being one of the many who has seen the film. And not just seeing it... experiencing it. That's right: I went for the D-Box/3D seat, which was actually kind of cool. The chair shook as the helicopter was in motion and whatnot. You only live twice, and I wanted to experience the commotion of the seat's motion at least one time.

For the film itself I thought it was just okay. Not a must-see but entertaining, it had decent action when it was there. Although, it also had quite a bit of talking that diminished the quantity of fight scenes. I did enjoy the mind controlling element of Hawkeye's character, though. It was an interesting part of the problem they had to deal with. Hulk not being able to lift Thor's hammer also had me smiling.

Message 2 of 17 (333 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
149 posts

May 15, 2012

Haven't seen it yet. But I hope to someday.

Message 3 of 17 (333 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
149 posts

May 17, 2012

But wouldnt be even better if the Fantastic Four, some surviving X-men,Spiderman and Blade all

be on the same screen? I know it be too much.

Message 4 of 17 (333 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3797 posts

May 26, 2012

I thought it was simply epic! I had to look up Thanos though, I was confused at the end credits scene. I love superhero movies, especially Iron Man.

Message 5 of 17 (333 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

May 26, 2012

dumbfoolkid5 wrote:

But wouldnt be even better if the Fantastic Four, some surviving X-men,Spiderman and Blade all

be on the same screen? I know it be too much.

FOX is supposed to be rebooting Fantastic Four and they're still working on the X-Men stuff (Wolverine 2, First Class 2 I believe, a Deadpool spin-off has been talked about, etc.).  Andrew Garfield, the new Spider-Man, has said he'd love to be with the rest of the Avengers after seeing the movie but he knows why that's not possible (different studios, licenses, etc.).

Blade & I think Punisher are back in Marvel's hands though.  With how big a success Avengers was, you'd think the 3 studios (Marvel/Disney, Sony & FOX) could work something out to use the properties and keep it all in one universe.

As long as they (Sony & FOX) have something in production (from what I understand/read) for the property, they can keep the license for as long.  Both figure it's better money to just hold the licenses and put something out every few years than to sell back to Marvel/Disney, use Marvel/Disney's success to fuel their own movies or maybe even let the success of Marvel/Disney's movies get to a point where they really want/need Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four and pay a high price to get them back.  I think at some point, it may get to that point (the latter).  Fantastic Four has Doom for instance which would make a great Avengers villain.

I'd just like, as a fan, to see the studios collaborate on this front, work something out and despite Sony/FOX keeping licenses, be on terms to work with Marvel Studios and integrate the licensed properties into the MCU.  This would also help Marvel/Disney out cause they wouldn't be funding all these projects at once/trying to work them into their release schedule and would have Sony/FOX helping out.  Granted, Marvel would still have to have their hands in the pot storywise to make sure everything lines up in the MCU between the 3 studios (so Sony/FOX aren't taking storylines/routes that mess with Avengers/Cap/Thor/whatever or something).

Message 6 of 17 (333 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
149 posts

May 26, 2012

I admit I do like Iron Man and the Hulk. But you know what would be cool? To see Gundam versions of

the Avengers and to see the real Avengers be the pilots of their Gundams.

Message 7 of 17 (333 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
6419 posts

Jun 11, 2012

By the way, there is a Justice League movie planned, it`s called Justice League: Mortal, the green lantern movie is supposed to be apart of it, and the upcoming Man of steel, as well as the batman reboot. (there is also supposed to be a Aqua Man movie as well as The Flash)

anyway, I just saw the avengers last week, it was good. I already got it pre ordered. I wonder what other avengesr will be introduced. As you said Ant-man is set ot be made. I think they handled the avengers very well, and you really get the feel as to how they are in the same universe. (the the lead up and all)

Even though all marvel is in the same universe, it is to bad that other studios own the rights to certain characters so they can`t make an appearence in the movies. I think they should come to some agreement. I mean both Spider-man and the fantastic four both helped the avengers. and I think even in the comic spider-man helped fight Thanos.

Message 8 of 17 (333 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Jun 11, 2012

chaos_789 wrote:

By the way, there is a Justice League movie planned, it`s called Justice League: Mortal, the green lantern movie is supposed to be apart of it, and the upcoming Man of steel, as well as the batman reboot. (there is also supposed to be a Aqua Man movie as well as The Flash)

anyway, I just saw the avengers last week, it was good. I already got it pre ordered. I wonder what other avengesr will be introduced. As you said Ant-man is set ot be made. I think they handled the avengers very well, and you really get the feel as to how they are in the same universe. (the the lead up and all)

Even though all marvel is in the same universe, it is to bad that other studios own the rights to certain characters so they can`t make an appearence in the movies. I think they should come to some agreement. I mean both Spider-man and the fantastic four both helped the avengers. and I think even in the comic spider-man helped fight Thanos.

Recently read about DC/WB trying to move forward with a JL movie.  Marvel took what, 5 years to even get around to the team up so DC has to plan this out well enough.  Has to do the proper setup between each movie to let you see some connection.  I'm interested in seeing how it's handled but they're going to have to do it carefully.  The big DC guys I'm not really fond of.  Batman is mostly a miss for me, Superman I hate, Flash is...eh, and Aquaman I haven't had much interest in.  I do like Green Lantern although I thought the movie fell on it's face and I like Martian Manhunter and also.  Wonder Woman I don't keep up on.  I've been enjoying however Green Lantern: The Animated Adventures and Young Justice on Cartoon Network so I'd say I'd be more interested in something being done with Young Justice and if they could salvage Green Lantern, bring in the other Corps.

I think the next biggest members to include would be Black Panther, Wasp and Ant-Man but the whole Ant-Man thing seems to be underway already.  Black Panther would be a nice fit alongside both Cap and Iron Man (given the BP linkage to Cap and how he can give Tony a run for his money with tech and such).  Vision would also be a great addition but they'd have to tackle Ultron/the Ant-Man stuff to even get to that.  Ms. Marvel and/or Wonderman would also be great.  Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch would be nice additions, just to see how they'd handle their powers on the big screen (since they can't mention Daddy or their mutant lineage).

Kind of sucks mainly for the Fantastic Four because people like Doom and Reed Richards are kind of big additions (Doom as an enemy and Reed missing out on the banter between Stark and Banner; even Spidey would enjoy some of the talk with the other 3 on science and tech).  But business is business and it's not likely they'd come to terms =\  I'd be surprised if they did in all honesty.

Message 9 of 17 (333 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
6419 posts

Jun 12, 2012

I did like the green lantern movie, I though it was good for an origin story, Green Lantern 2 has already been announced, so they can always make a lot of improvments. I actually don`t know why some people didn`t like it, as an origin story, it has to be kind of slower and give you all the info and stuff about this world and take a little time to get his powers or get the hang of it. Which I thought green lantern did quite well. and many people agree Ryan Renolds was a good Hal Jordon. I also thought showing how hal was struggling with being a hero, until he finally decided he would accept it and become a hero.

About Aqua Man, ya, he`s not a fav of mine either, He may be good in his own way, but he can`t do a whole lot out of water.

Also ya, if they could bring in Fantastic Four and Spider man it would be interesting to see Reed, Peter, Bruce, and Tony interacting with each other, since they are all genius`, although I suppose it would go something like the avengers, where Tony and Bruce. (tony`s like, it`s good to finally have another genius around. or something like that, can`t quite remember.)

I do know that I really like superhero movies, so I can`t wait for all the others to come out, and for another team up (the avengers 2 and JL)

by the way have you see the Green Hornet movie, that is one superhero movie, I didn`t really care for all that much.

Message 10 of 17 (333 Views)
0 Likes