Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 20 2012
By: Argetlam PlayStation MVP 11832 posts

The Dark Knight Rises - Thoughts *Spoilers*

3 replies 398 views Edited Jul 20, 2012

I just saw the film and I can already tell that it's one I'll have to see a few more times as well as think about at length to really form a more well-rounded opinion, but my initial thoughts are below.

I tried to keep an open mind but I just couldn't get over Bane's voice. I told myself to be patient after the first few minutes of the movie, but by the end, I just couldn't get over how goofy it sounded. It wasn't the effects that were put on Hardy's voice that made it odd (in fact, I quite enjoyed the slight guttural sound to it and it wasn't hard to understand) but the strange accent (is it even an accent?) in which Hardy delivered his lines is what turned me off. It just didn't at all sound intimidating.

For example, one of my favorite scenes is when the boy is singing at the football game and there is no background noise or music. Only his voice can be heard as Bane climbs up from a ladder to get into position to blow the stadium to the ground. It gave me goosebumps. That tension and sense of awe was mitigated somewhat, however, when Bane said, "what a lovely voice." It's actually not a bad line and I could see any villain saying it (especially the Joker), but with Hardy's odd delivery, it pulled me right out of the movie.

However, pretty much everything else was awesome. Michael Caine had multiple scenes that were very emotional and he's great as it is so it was enjoyable to watch him. I expected to see a little more action with Catwoman but I enjoyed the chemistry between her and Batman (playing Arkham City really gave me an insight into how complicated their relationship is). Gordon-Levitt was great as well and I could easily see him making a transition into the Robin that everyone knows (if he chooses to go this route). However, I think I'd just prefer to let my imagination run wild (seeing the platform rise out of the water was enough for me and was an awesome way to end the film).

So, yeah, the music was great and the cast was strong. I didn't expect Batman to live so that was a nice twist at the end. "The Bat" was always fun to watch and both Cillian Murphy and Liam Neeson's cameos put a smile on my face. 

I knew it wouldn't top The Dark Knight (and it didn't) but it was still a great film.

So, what did everyone else think?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (398 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1163 posts

Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Thoughts *Spoilers*

Jul 21, 2012

I really enjoyed it. Levitt's character was a very welcome addition and Hathaway wasn't as terrible as I thought she'd be, still not a fan of her Catwoman though.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (363 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
13339 posts

Jul 22, 2012

I won't compare each movie to each other (as I think the trilogy stands well on it's own) but I really enjoyed The Dark Knight Rises. It was an excellent follow-up to "The Dark Knight" and for the most part, broke the curse of the third movie. :smileywink: The standout additions of the films for me were John Blake (Referenced to as Robin in the end) and Selina Kyle as their actors did an amazing job, along with Bale in the film. Michael Caine was amazing as well, despite not getting as much screentime.

Story-wise, I love the direction they took because it made sense to me. To really follow up with the League of Shadows plotline from Batman Begins, they chose Bane and Talia which were excellent villain choices in my mind. I expected Talia to have a thing for Bruce Wayne but overall, I'm glad they had Selina Kyle in there to balance it out. Selina was really the driving force for getting Bruce Wayne out of his slump and I loved the fact that they ended up together at the end of the movie.

The one question I was left asking after the movie was, how did Batman escape the blast radius? I would ask that, although I know that that part of the ending was really open to interpretation to some degree because he may really be dead and Alfred is just fantasizing (or he's moved on after death). It's hard to say but I believe Bruce Wayne is still alive (probably because I'd like to lol).

Other than that, they wrapped it up really well for me personally. I was extremely satisfied with how the movie went overall, and I have no major gripes about it. It wasn't the best movie I have ever seen but I couldn't have asked for a better ending to one of the most acclaimed trilogies in all time. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (349 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11832 posts

Jul 23, 2012

LightJak007 wrote:

The one question I was left asking after the movie was, how did Batman escape the blast radius? I would ask that, although I know that that part of the ending was really open to interpretation to some degree because he may really be dead and Alfred is just fantasizing (or he's moved on after death). It's hard to say but I believe Bruce Wayne is still alive (probably because I'd like to lol).

Oh, he's definitely alive. In my opinion, there isn't too much room in terms of speculation when it comes to Batman's method of survival. I think he simply jumped out of the Bat just as it was leaving the city and then swam to shore. After all, it's confirmed at the end of the film that he fixed the auto-pilot issue/absence and was therefore able to let the craft fly on its own.

Having said that, though, an interesting point was brought up by the guys over at IGN. They had an almost thirty-minute discussion about the film and one of the potential plot holes mentioned involved Fox and his co-workers' knowledge of Wayne fixing the auto-pilot issues. To be more specific, the two engineers/scientists/whatever they are mention that the software patch says something like "Bruce Wayne" and Fox then knows that there was an auto-pilot feature on the Bat. That's all fine and great but what model were they looking at? Obviously, the one that was flown into the water was completely destroyed so were there others in Wayne's secret basement? And, if so, why didn't Bane destroy and/or use them to his benefit when he tunneled underground only to come up beneath Wayne's stuff? He, after all, took the three Tumblers so why would he leave the other Bat models behind?

The idea of ending the film with Alfred simply looking up at the camera was also discussed (again, by the IGN guys). I actually probably would have loved such an ending because the viewer would have to finish the film for themselves. However, as it was said, an ambiguous ending like that made more sense in a film like Inception. Regardless, I think the film was strong and would have benefited from either ending.

Here's the IGN link I alluded to above: http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/07/22/the-dark-knight-rises-spoilercast

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (344 Views)