0 Likes
Fender Bender
3129 posts

Re: In-Game Music Compatible PS3 Games

Dec 4, 2008

CaptainAlbator wrote:

kdiep wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:
I still don't understand why this is such a big deal. I really don't care if I can hear Walk Away Renee' or Alice Cooper while playing NBA Live 09. Maybe I'm from a generation that regards music differently than some of you.

It's nice in some games. For others I rather do without. In-game music for a game like PixelJunk Monsters where you're waiting for the monsters to attack is a really really nice addition as it makes the game a bit more enjoyable. Playing a sport game I could see myself getting pumped up with the right music. Playing some racing games with in-game music is really great as well. I don't know why but it just adds to it. It's like, why do you listen to music in the car or why do you listen to music at all you know? There's really a lot of reasons and I can't really explain them well.

For a single-player story-based game though I rather play without. A game like BioShock, Dead Space and so forth does not really need in-game music in my opinion as it just takes away from the experience rather than add something to it.

For myself, the music alone is entertainment. It's more than just a "background" or wallpaper to another event. Certain albums used to be an event. There's always been "soundtracks", however music would always bring you back to a certain place when you were someone different. When you attatch a song to a game or a whatever it becomes "just the background". I hold music in really high regard and you know what, I think it's more than just some file you stick on a playlist or something you download. 

Lewis Black said once that music is like a drug and when you hear it you have a vision.  The first time you're in love and you hear a love song and you think of your special someone. Then two years later when you're broken up and you're at the bar and you hear that same song, you say "son of a *$%&, I'll have a Jaeger!". 

I guess that's the difference. It sounds like you're very much into music and sees it as some sort of art form. Which is totally fine, I just don't see it that way. I just listen to whatever fits my mood. I rarely JUST listen to music. I often put on music and do something like cleaning my room, surf the internet, check out forums and as mentioned sometimes while I play games. It is a background thing to me. The only time I JUST listen to music is when I just want to relax and/or too tired to do anything else or maybe I'm on a bus/train/plane or something along those lines.

And you know, how can you have these magical moments if you JUST listen to music you know? I mean if you just sit back and listen to them, then go to some bar 5 years later and hear it again are you really gonna remember that time when you sat back and listened to that song? Even if you did, would it really spark some emotions in you? I mean I used to play Dynasty Warriors 3 (first DW with splitscreen) with my friend around 5-7 years ago or something and we would put on Linkin Park - In The End. We would battle off these thousands of soldiers and we would quite often have very little health and in some of those moments coincidentally the chorus would come on and we would sing loudly along "IN THE END IT DOESN"T EVEN MATTER" in which case we got pumped up and somehow beat off the bad guys (which sounds kinda cheesy, but I don't care as it was SO much fun). Till this day I still think of those moments when I hear that song. And when I went back to meet him again (he lives in Norway and I moved here to the US), we bought DW6 for the sole purpose of recreating that memory. And I do not think I could've had this type of experience on that level had I just been listening and focusing on the music.

Anyway I'm not trying to say my way is the right way or anything. I'm just saying whats on my mind you know? I'm more like a "go with the flow" type of guy. It's like I don't care that Heavenly Sword is only 6 hours long if I had such a great experience with it. I don't care that PS3 games aren't 1080p if I personally think 720p looks better. That last statement might be weird to most people but personally I rather have Killzone 2 graphics (720p) than Virtua Tennis 3 graphics (1080p) you know? So yea thats that.

Message 31 of 387 (43 Views)
Fender Bender
3129 posts

Re: response to Captain al

Dec 4, 2008

GTRrocker wrote:
I can answer this. I come from a customization generation. I want technology to fit MY needs if I am going to drop $500. I know this is selfish, but if it is possible, financially easy (unlike BC), and many people want it. it should be done. If I am playing a game and I want to listen to Nine inch nails, and another rival brand (less superior) has that capability, I want it in my machine. Because a lot of in game music doesn't fit my taste. Yes, I want to play resistance 2 while listening to Tool. It is fine to not have it, but why have the capability to actually STORE mp3's in your ps3 if you can't play them during the system's primary function? To me it just doesn't make any sense. I believe they will fix this, they have to. It is one of 360's best functions. Sony would be completely retarded not to include this.

The ability to store MP3's to your PS3 was done because PS3 was suppose to act as a media center. I mean just because video files can be stored on the PS3 shouldn't really mean that PS3 should be capable of showing a movie (picture in picture) while you're playing  a game should it (although it would be kinda cool)? I can see where you might get frustrated though. But this is just what happens. Some people come up with a great idea and the other guys gotta catch up. This time around Sony did a lot of mistakes but thankfully they have done a lot to repair themselves. And it's not like PS3 don't have their own stuff. With the same update that gave you Trophies and In-Game music capability, it also gave developers the ability to record youtube videos and upload them (I haven't personally tried though). Some very few games support this (PJ Monsters from what I know and probably PJ Eden as well).

Message 32 of 387 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3129 posts

Dec 4, 2008

ASSASYN wrote:
i listen to my tracks while playing nba09

Added, assuming it was NBA 09: The Inside but do correct me if you were playing something else (NBA 2k9? NBA Live 09?)
Message 33 of 387 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
301 posts

Dec 4, 2008
Thanks kdiep, now I want picture in picture now...
Message 34 of 387 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
241 posts

Dec 4, 2008
yea i was referring to the inside
Message 35 of 387 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
694 posts

Dec 4, 2008
Killzone 2 will on online motherh said on ask the dev thread
10 reasons why its hard work being a gamer
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=pslounge&message.id=560248#M560248
Message 36 of 387 (43 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
25198 posts

Dec 4, 2008

GTRrocker wrote:
I can answer this. I come from a customization generation. I want technology to fit MY needs if I am going to drop $500. I know this is selfish, but if it is possible, financially easy (unlike BC), and many people want it, it should be done. If I am playing a game and I want to listen to Nine inch nails, and another rival brand (less superior) has that capability, I want it in my machine. Because a lot of in game music doesn't fit my taste. Yes, I want to play resistance 2 while listening to Tool. It is fine to not have it, but why have the capability to actually STORE mp3's in your ps3 if you can't play them during the system's primary function? To me it just doesn't make any sense. I believe they will fix this, they have to. It is one of 360's best functions. Sony would be completely retarded not to include this.

Well since we're on the subject as the Rolling Stones used to say you can't always get what you want. 

I think that's the main difference between your generation and mine. You're part of the "customization" era. A lot of stuff now "comes to you" and you expect it to fit into your existence automatically. In my era you had to make an effort to do a lot of things and figure out how something fits into your life. You had to go down to the record store, buy an LP, take it home and then put it on a cassette to listen to it where you wanted it. Now it's "click, click, scroll, scroll, click download completed". I don't want to say things are too easy, but they're no where as involved as they were when I was younger. Even something like going to a concert was a bigger deal because we didn't have the access to all the video we do now. 

The other thing is you mention guys like Tool and Nine Inch Nails. Those were guys I never really had any real appreciation for. Like I said before, it really doesn't matter if I listen to someone like Wilco or Matthew Sweet while playing NBA Live 09, and I think those guys really don't fit the video game era very well. 

I don't have an ending so I'll leave it there. 

Message 37 of 387 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2711 posts

Dec 5, 2008
Pain does
ImageHost.org
Message 38 of 387 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3129 posts

Dec 5, 2008

Canto4 wrote:
Killzone 2 will on online motherh said on ask the dev thread

Can't seem to find it. That thread was such a mess. If you could, could you link it?
Message 39 of 387 (43 Views)
0 Likes