Reply
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 09/04/2005
Offline
1661 posts
 

Re: The problem is us.

Aug 27, 2008

Good thread

 

TBH tho I was pretty much only listening to classic rock until I discovered phish (last year), because they play so many different genres of music it opened me up to a whole new world of music: jazz, classical, funk, metal, hip-hop, regaee...

 

Now when I try to get any of my friends (mostly classic-rockers) to listen to something new I discovered they always decide that it sucks within a couple seconds... or they say something like: 'does this music not have any words, when is the singing going to start?!'.... as long as I am not playing them plain generic rock n roll they usually hate it. I seriously have no idea how someone can listen to the same music over and over again, I would get bored listening to only one genre and not having any variety to keep things interesting.

Message 11 of 86 (11 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/14/2006
Offline
5966 posts
 

Re: The problem is us.

Aug 27, 2008

I was like that when I was small. I liked Green Day and Blink 182 and "punk" bands like that, and I thought everyone else was wrong and every other band sucked. I'm glad I actually opened my eyes.

 

Edit:

Acutally that happened to me not that long ago. Somebody recommended this band called "Muse" to me, and at that time I had completely lost hope in new music and new bands, so I was like "Hell no, they probably are a pop band labeling themselves as Prog Rock, and I never cared to actually listen to them. Later I heard "Supermassive Black Hole" on the radio and I hated the song. 

A few months ago, my friend was listening to something that caught my attention, and I asked what band was that. He said it was Muse, and I was like "NO WAY".

Now I completely love them, and I'll never make that mistake again.

Message Edited by Jorge_Rdz on 08-27-2008 03:25 PM
Message 12 of 86 (11 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 04/16/2005
Offline
11451 posts
 

Re: The problem is us.

Aug 27, 2008

Jorge_Rdz wrote:

I was like that when I was small. I liked Green Day and Blink 182 and "punk" bands like that, and I thought everyone else was wrong and every other band sucked. I'm glad I actually opened my eyes.

 

Edit:

Acutally that happened to me not that long ago. Somebody recommended this band called "Muse" to me, and at that time I had completely lost hope in new music and new bands, so I was like "Hell no, they probably are a pop band labeling themselves as Prog Rock, and I never cared to actually listen to them. Later I heard "Supermassive Black Hole" on the radio and I hated the song. 

A few months ago, my friend was listening to something that caught my attention, and I asked what band was that. He said it was Muse, and I was like "NO WAY".

Now I completely love them, and I'll never make that mistake again.

Message Edited by Jorge_Rdz on 08-27-2008 03:25 PM

yeah my english teacher threw on some Joanna Newsom for me one time... i couldn't stand her voice, i almost walked out...

 

a month later i heard her again and heard the lyrics

 

"i killed my dinner with karate kicked em in the face taste the body" i dont know what it was about that line... but i thought it was genius

 

... and i was like "no way i recognize that voice" and now i own almost all her albums...

 

 

Message 13 of 86 (11 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 04/10/2008
Offline
1314 posts
 

Re: The problem is us.

Aug 27, 2008

Good point, I would kudo if I could.Smiley Very Happy

 

Too bad the general people wouldn't take the time to listen to your explanations. I've had that many times, and it's so frustrating it gets to the point where I'm currently hopeless about the masses.

 

They go like this, "Stop using big words, freak."

And it all goes straight back to people caring about what other people think. They go as far as dumbening themselves.

Message 14 of 86 (11 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
Registered: 01/13/2008
Offline
3003 posts
 

Re: The problem is us.

Aug 28, 2008

Canadiankid- wrote:

 

I question why people hate other kinds of music expect the genre they listen too? maybe its because its "less intelligent" or "violent" or some other stupid excuse. I know for a fact that 90% of all of you here listen to "crappy music" seeing thats pretty much what everyone has been exposed to their entire life. But because thats all that is played on the radio we listen to it... we enjoy it and we say probably something along the lines of "yummy that is some gooood crap" but then i may put on some music from Bob Dylan or maybe something exotic like Tuvan Throat singing, or Joanna Newsom or Xavier Rudd, or Pink Floyd, or Devo... you know some band that stick so much symbolism and meaning into their songs that you really have to think about it, may take hours...

 

 

I also see ignorant people posting a lot of "worst band ever" to threads asking what they think which makes them look extremely stupid... because well you know there is a lot of bands out there... at least give a reason why they suck...

Message Edited by Canadiankid- on 08-27-2008 02:54 AM

Great post..unfortunately I can't give kudos, but you'll probably get lots.

 

It's possible that the people who post those "Band X sucks/That singer is **bleep**" comments are just very immature and insecure and listen to what their peer group tells them to. It's very sad that with all the variety of music available today, young kids insist on sticking to commercial radio-friendly music. It's OK not to like something, but you should be able to articulate why that is, even if you don't use references to classical literature or a lot of big words to express yourself : )

Message 15 of 86 (11 Views)
Reply
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 04/10/2008
Offline
1314 posts
 

Re: The problem is us.

Aug 28, 2008

tristania98 wrote: 

 Great post..unfortunately I can't give kudos, but you'll probably get lots.

 

It's possible that the people who post those "Band X sucks/That singer is **bleep**" comments are just very immature and insecure and listen to what their peer group tells them to. It's very sad that with all the variety of music available today, young kids insist on sticking to commercial radio-friendly music. It's OK not to like something, but you should be able to articulate why that is, even if you don't use references to classical literature or a lot of big words to express yourself : )


 

Average people don't understand regular music terms.

 

"I just think their riffs suck; they just don't flow together." (this is WAY easy to understand)

"What in the **bleep** is a riff?"

Message 16 of 86 (11 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 04/16/2005
Offline
11451 posts
 

Re: The problem is us.

Aug 28, 2008

FlyingV wrote:

tristania98 wrote: 

 Great post..unfortunately I can't give kudos, but you'll probably get lots.

 

It's possible that the people who post those "Band X sucks/That singer is **bleep**" comments are just very immature and insecure and listen to what their peer group tells them to. It's very sad that with all the variety of music available today, young kids insist on sticking to commercial radio-friendly music. It's OK not to like something, but you should be able to articulate why that is, even if you don't use references to classical literature or a lot of big words to express yourself : )


 

Average people don't understand regular music terms.

 

"I just think their riffs suck; they just don't flow together." (this is WAY easy to understand)

"What in the **bleep** is a riff?


i am clueless when it comes to music terms, but that doesnt stop me from enjoying music... yeah sure i may enjoy it more if i knew how much work they put into it...but i know when there was work into making sure every note is strung together perfectly to sound its best.
lyrics play a huge part for me, meanings behind the lyrics, metaphors, allegorys, etc... this is why Bob Dylan is one of my favorites, may not have the best singing voice, but he can write a **bleep**ing good song. 
Message 17 of 86 (11 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 01/31/2007
Offline
8116 posts
 

Re: The problem is us.

Aug 28, 2008

GREAT thread. You summed up a lot of what I say on this board except in a more intelligent and nicer way.

 

And your Plato story is wrong. Smiley Tongue

One escapes from the cave, sees the real world, goes back to tell the rest, the rest don't believe him, and then kill him.

Message 18 of 86 (11 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 04/16/2005
Offline
11451 posts
 

Re: The problem is us.

Aug 28, 2008

children_of_men wrote:

GREAT thread. You summed up a lot of what I say on this board except in a more intelligent and nicer way.

 

And your Plato story is wrong. Smiley Tongue

One escapes from the cave, sees the real world, goes back to tell the rest, the rest don't believe him, and then kill him.


thought i might of had it wrong, seeing i havent really read up on it for like 1 1/2 years
 still relates though
Message 19 of 86 (11 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/01/2006
Offline
6540 posts
 

Re: The problem is us.

Aug 28, 2008

_Inevitable_ wrote:

Dude I was like that a few years back when I first entered high school and used to listen to stuff they play on the radio and show on MTV only as long was it was rap. But now I pretty much expanded my musical tastes in the past 4 years. I listen to rock, punk, ska, electric, dance, and many others. But yeah I must stay I'm so happy I changed my views on music or else I would have never heard Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Daft Punk, LCD Soundsytem, The Stooges, Sublime, Pepper, Red Hot Chili Peppers and the list could go on. But I have one question who listens to rap and doesn't know or doesn't like Tupac? I mean is that even possible? Oh yeah I forgot to say I would have never listened to Bob Marley, shoot I couldn't even imagine what that would be like.

Message Edited by _Inevitable_ on 08-27-2008 07:34 AM

Sick taste in music man . AC/DC is the onlyband that I don't like from that list. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Daft Punk, LCD Soundsystem (Losing My Edge is one of the best songs ever written), Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Bob Marley are all some of my favorite bands.

 

Anyways, I completely agree with this thread. MTV should be burnt to the ground, and people watching it should throw their TV's out the window. In fact, most people watching TV at all should throw their TV out the window, or atleast change the chanel to something good, and look away when commercials come on

LittleBigPlanet��� Information Thread

Message 20 of 86 (11 Views)
Reply
0 Likes