Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
25230 posts

Re: music lovers is this statement true ?

Dec 12, 2008

ThA_DeCkNiShUn wrote:

andXyetXnotXwant wrote:

ThA_DeCkNiShUn wrote:

jedi_SHOGUN wrote:
This statement is true, those who say otherwise are square. The best music is made under the influence.

Very true.  Listen to how much better the Beatles' music got once everyone knew they were on drugs and they were able to drop the clean cut image.  Hendrix, Joplin, the Doors, Eagles; all on drugs.  You don't necessarily have to be high to enjoy music, but why not?
They weren't great musicians because they were on drugs, they were great musicians who did drugs. If it was true that drugs made them great then there should be about 100 Jimi Hendrixs' in my neigborhood alone and to be honest i haven't run into any.
 If it does make music sound better that's because thc (a mild form of acid) enhances your five senses. That doesn't mean you have to be on drugs to enjoy music. I can listen to music and enjoy it that much better than you because at least everything that I am feeling is natural to me. 

Ah, but I never said that because Jimi Hendrix dropped acid that he magically became an amazing guitar player, or that Paul and John suddenly became better songwriters.  I said that being under the influence expands one's thought processes and can help with creativity.  In the case of The Beatles, again I say that mass discovery of them being on drugs allowed for them to shed the clean cut, mop top pop star image that was helping them sell records and allow for more musical freedom and experimentation on their part.  I'm sorry, I would rather listen to Sgt. Pepper's than A Hard Day's Night any day.  Yellow Submarine is a prime example of the contrasts as well.   THC is naturally occuring and not chemically synthesized, so while under the influence, everything I am feeling is just as natural to me as it is you.  I get the EXACT same feelings listening to Are You Experienced? stoned as I do when sober; except for some reason I am hungrier when I am stoned

I guess I should also point out that I find nothing wrong with straight edge cats.  Whether you smoke or not is a personal decision, either way is a good choice in my opinion.

And vmphil, one of the things I do miss is all the Brockout Sessions and mornings at the Montrose Rocks...

Actually it wasn't drugs that prompted them to drop the "clean cut image". It was the death of their manager Brian Epstein. 

Here's the mistake people make about the Beatles; The Beatles weren't geniouses because they did drugs. They were geniouses who HAPPENED to do drugs. There's a huge difference. George Harrison said years later that LSD was probably one of the worst things he had done. When he put it under a microscope it looked like "rope".Also remember they weren't high all the time. A song like "Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite" was taken from an old circus poster in John's house. The part with all the steam organ loops was actually George Martin's idea. 

Yellow Submarine wasn't a film that they had really any direct involvment in. That was the work primarily of United Artists and producer Al Brodax. It's was one of the last projects that Brian Epstein had approved before he died.

Message 31 of 34 (9 Views)
Sackboy
520 posts

Dec 12, 2008

CaptainAlbator wrote:

ThA_DeCkNiShUn wrote:

andXyetXnotXwant wrote:

ThA_DeCkNiShUn wrote:

jedi_SHOGUN wrote:
This statement is true, those who say otherwise are square. The best music is made under the influence.

Very true.  Listen to how much better the Beatles' music got once everyone knew they were on drugs and they were able to drop the clean cut image.  Hendrix, Joplin, the Doors, Eagles; all on drugs.  You don't necessarily have to be high to enjoy music, but why not?
They weren't great musicians because they were on drugs, they were great musicians who did drugs. If it was true that drugs made them great then there should be about 100 Jimi Hendrixs' in my neigborhood alone and to be honest i haven't run into any.
 If it does make music sound better that's because thc (a mild form of acid) enhances your five senses. That doesn't mean you have to be on drugs to enjoy music. I can listen to music and enjoy it that much better than you because at least everything that I am feeling is natural to me. 

Ah, but I never said that because Jimi Hendrix dropped acid that he magically became an amazing guitar player, or that Paul and John suddenly became better songwriters.  I said that being under the influence expands one's thought processes and can help with creativity.  In the case of The Beatles, again I say that mass discovery of them being on drugs allowed for them to shed the clean cut, mop top pop star image that was helping them sell records and allow for more musical freedom and experimentation on their part.  I'm sorry, I would rather listen to Sgt. Pepper's than A Hard Day's Night any day.  Yellow Submarine is a prime example of the contrasts as well.   THC is naturally occuring and not chemically synthesized, so while under the influence, everything I am feeling is just as natural to me as it is you.  I get the EXACT same feelings listening to Are You Experienced? stoned as I do when sober; except for some reason I am hungrier when I am stoned

I guess I should also point out that I find nothing wrong with straight edge cats.  Whether you smoke or not is a personal decision, either way is a good choice in my opinion.

And vmphil, one of the things I do miss is all the Brockout Sessions and mornings at the Montrose Rocks...

Actually it wasn't drugs that prompted them to drop the "clean cut image". It was the death of their manager Brian Epstein. 

Here's the mistake people make about the Beatles; The Beatles weren't geniouses because they did drugs. They were geniouses who HAPPENED to do drugs. There's a huge difference. George Harrison said years later that LSD was probably one of the worst things he had done. When he put it under a microscope it looked like "rope".Also remember they weren't high all the time. A song like "Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite" was taken from an old circus poster in John's house. The part with all the steam organ loops was actually George Martin's idea. 

Yellow Submarine wasn't a film that they had really any direct involvment in. That was the work primarily of United Artists and producer Al Brodax. It's was one of the last projects that Brian Epstein had approved before he died.

A point I have made.  But you have to admit that drugs aided their genius by stoking their creativity and helped take their music in the direction it went.  And seriously, thank you for clearing up the Epstein/clean-cut issue.  I know that they dropped their image right when he died, but I honestly thought it had more to do with the fact that their secret was out than with Epstein dying.  Much thanks for the continued education...Kudos, kind sir! 

Message 32 of 34 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
664 posts

Dec 12, 2008

CaptainAlbator wrote:

StYve--At-Large wrote:

"listening to music while stoned will open up a whole new world of living

most "heads" see music as important second only to sex

and grass will change you're musical habits for the better."

i personally found this to be very true.

Personally I don't believe it. If you have to be high to enjoy something then obviously it was never that good from the begining. 

Are you joking me? How do you think the Ramones, Beatles,Led Zeppelin + way more bands created awesome music? Gosh you idiot.

There's a good chance that you won't like me. However, there's a better chance that I won't care
Message 33 of 34 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8116 posts

Dec 12, 2008

iEmily wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

StYve--At-Large wrote:

"listening to music while stoned will open up a whole new world of living

most "heads" see music as important second only to sex

and grass will change you're musical habits for the better."

i personally found this to be very true.

Personally I don't believe it. If you have to be high to enjoy something then obviously it was never that good from the begining. 

Are you joking me? How do you think the Ramones, Beatles,Led Zeppelin + way more bands created awesome music? Gosh you idiot.

You might want to reread that.
Message 34 of 34 (9 Views)
0 Likes